Fuji Fujifilm Finepix X100 - Pricing, Availability and general OMG

Don, that is a very generous offer. However, I am not one who is inclined to borrow things, especially not something that valuable. Nevertheless, I appreciate your consideration. If mine does not come, I will doubtlessly take a philosophical approach (as BB said to this philosophy teacher!) and go with the Nikon DSLR and the NEX and make the best of it. Indeed, there is nothing wrong with that combination! The streets of San Jose, and the college campus and the other sites we will visit will all be fresh and new to these old eyes, and that generally provides the ingredients of enjoyable photography with any equipment. See, already I am getting philosophical about it. :redface:

Just saw this at GetDPI:

Latest word from our rep from yesterday:

'Fuji supply has informed me that the x100 will be shipping TODAY to all accounts that are on 1st allocation list. The Earthquake in Japan did affect delivery to the U.S. later than expected, and we have inspected ALL cameras that were delivered to make sure they met our "Quality Level" before packaging. It appears that some of these were indeed not "at that level" so some cameras were sent back to Japan. This has left us with less than we had expected initially. This will affect everyones initial allocation expectations. There is nothing that could be done about this unfortunently. We have also logged all serial #'s of cameras delivered to track the destinations of all accounts receiving. We appreciate your patience in this process as I know you have been hit hard with customer inquiries.'

I am told the shipment from Fuji went out via overnight delivery, so unless there was some shipping issue we will get them today. We plan to ship as many orders out today as possible. Unfortunately we aren't getting as many as we hoped (see above) but many of you will be contacted today.

Thanks everyone for your patience!

Robert

Amen to that! It is now after 2:00 PM and I keep hoping for an email concerning my back order but nothing yet. We all wait to hear who gets the good word first. Please share whoever you are! We would at least like some vicarious pleasure. ;)

I contacted Adorama today about my back order for an X100 and they replied that there continues to be no known delivery date. This seems to contradict the indications we got last week about deliveries on the 29th of April. :banned:

A number of people at DPreview and X100forum.com have reported on preorders from both Adorama and Amazon having shipped. Also, some stores in the US have gotten a number in stock, which were generally already committed in preorders. I don't think anyone had heard anything from B&H yet. But if you have a pre-order with Adorama or Amazon and haven't gotten a shipping notice, you may not have made the cut for this first US shipment. Hopefully, more will be coming soon. But there definitely have been cameras received and distributed in the US since Friday or so...

-Ray

This suggests that Adorama is replying with a standard form letter rather than responding to my email individually. If they have received and shipped some they are not acknowledging that in their reply, which does not help my attitude toward them as a business. I would be fine with a business saying to my inquiry,"We did receive some but shipped them in the order that they were purchased. Sorry etc." How each of these companies handle this will affect who I do business with in the future. The form letter simply stated that they had no information from the manufacturer about deliveries. Was that a lie?

I think these form emails just go out on regularly scheduled mailings. I think the best thing to do is to call and speak with Customer Service and get a name. With many of these camera stores their volumes are so high that a lot of this email stuff is just automated. The same is true with Amazon, but at least they are used to updating their patron's web accounts. Once I actually spoke to someone on the phone at Amazon...it was over year ago...and I have no memory of how I finally got a human being there. I may have saved it though in my "files".

Hang in there Dan! I guess we've turned this into an Fuji X100 support group, eh?

You have it right, BB. It has become a kind of support group. The email I got from Adorama was in response to an email inquiry that I sent, but yes it was a standard form. As for Amazon, I do a lot of business with them, but have never spoken with a live person. You should make a certificate for yourself and frame it proclaiming your special status because on some otherwise ordinary day you actually had contact with a living person at Amazon. There ought to be prizes given for a thing like that. :clap2:

I've actually been able to get through and talk to people at Amazon a number of times. They've almost never been able to actually DO anything for me, but they can reiterate the same information I can see on my computer about an order. I did get to one of them early enough to cancel an order though - ONCE!

-Ray

:grouphug: Well, we're all in this together, right?

Ray, we're relying on you, retow, David and Lisa to keep us from dying from "thirst" and for letting us know ahead of time how to set up the camera so we'll be ready!

Speaking of which how is the manual when it comes to this stuff?

P.S. Actually, I suppose it would be better to add any "how to's" in a different thread from this one.(y)

P.P.S. Don has done the honors by starting this new thread right here: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f53/x100-user-setup-preferences-2207/#post20921:th_salute:

I'm going to try and explain how it works....... Manufacturers and distributors almost never give a definite ETA on anything - particularly on new releases and heavily back-ordered items.
The best we can hope for is a vague date, to which we usually add a week or two to try and avoid disappointment.

We are also given no more than a couple of days notice of how many units to expect on a shipment. Frequently we don’t know how many we are receiving until they are actually being unpacked and put onto shelves in the warehouse – and the size of one delivery is absolutely no indication of the size of a future delivery…..

As I hope is well-known, Adorama does not charge until an order actually ships. We believe that it is unfair to our customers to hold onto their money while we are awaiting a delivery, however, this means that if a customer finds a unit elsewhere he or she will most likely cancel their outstanding Adorama order. If you bear in mind that we are shipping out thousands of units every day, it really isn’t possible to forecast, for example, if a customer was the 57th person to place an order, how quickly we can ship it out!

So, where does that leave you? I can promise you that if you have placed a back-order, then the day it arrives in our New Jersey warehouse is the day it will be shipped out to you and you will receive a tracking number that same day.

In truth, the customer service staff are actually NOT permitted to give anything more than a vague ETA on back orders because of the confusion it can cause. Shipments can be delayed in the ports, adverse weather conditions can hold up road deliveries etc etc.
Added to which, until they can see on their screens in the New York office that a SKU number is showing as ‘in stock’ ie it has been booked into the warehouse, they have no way of knowing! There could be a crate of 500 units sitting in New Jersey, waiting to be unloaded and they actually wouldn’t know about it.

This short video shows the warehouse in action: YouTube - Ben Teichberg Adorama Spokes Person

I hope this helps, but you are always welcome to contact me directly if you ever need advice or after-sales support – however, I am also completely in the dark regarding delivery dates…..Helen@adorama.com

Back