Film Fujifilm Neopan 400

Kay

Veteran
Fuji ceased production a while ago so I've just picked up a nice stash (exp.date 5/2015) to fill an unused corner of a friend's fridge. I remember having shot some rolls back in the 80s but wonder if anybody else still uses this film.

I still use Neopan when I can find it. I've always preferred Neopan to Tri-X as the grain is less noticeable when used at 400. the differences in grain between the two films becomes very noticeable, to me, even on 8x10 prints. I try and save any Neopan that I find for special occasions where I know I'll want to make some large prints. Oh Neopan, how I'll miss you when your expired stock is no longer to be found.

I expect to get some flack for preferring anything to Tri-X. I do use Tri-X more these days as Neopan is harder to find.

I still use Neopan when I can find it. I've always preferred Neopan to Tri-X as the grain is less noticeable when used at 400. the differences in grain between the two films becomes very noticeable, to me, even on 8x10 prints. I try and save any Neopan that I find for special occasions where I know I'll want to make some large prints. Oh Neopan, how I'll miss you when your expired stock is no longer to be found.

I expect to get some flack for preferring anything to Tri-X. I do use Tri-X more these days as Neopan is harder to find.
Sounds familiar. I always preferred Tri-X to HP5 and vaguely remember some dirty looks but I'm glad I got hold of that batch of Neopan. For the first time I've got lots more Fuji film than Kodak in that fridge but still no access to my cameras (stored away). I might risk a look at what those guys have left in stock and buy some more ... who knows? (I paid 3.60€/roll, ~$4).

It's a bit bizarre that Fuji's recommended replacement for Neopan 400 is Acros 100. Now I love Acros, which has become my preferred medium speed black and white film, but if I put an iso 400 film in my camera, especially a 35mm camera, it's because I need the extra speed. There is a development time for Acros at 400 listed in the massive development chart, but I would personally be loathe to use it. If anyone has done so, please report back.

acros pushes remarkably well. I generally shoot my little stock at 200, and I've certainly shot it at 400 to good effect.
however I always develop it in caffenol-c-m and that might not suit you.
FWIW about 12 mins at 200, and double that for 400

Back