Advice Wanted Fujifilm Pre-Shot VS. the competition?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
Hello, I am looking for any user that has experience with Fujifilm's Pre-Shot and if they can compare it to Panasonic's Pre-Burst and\or Olympus's Pro Capture. I am just curious how well is it implemented, like:
*Can the X-Tx hold the display frame rate while it's pre buffering the images (for example the Olympus Pro Capture drops the frame rate pretty badly, the EVF lags like 15 FPS instead of 120?
*Does the AF-C keep up while pre buffering AND while recording the buffer to the card?
*Are you able to track the subject (both autofocus and in the EVF) while buffering the images, like having a smooth enough experience to track action?
*Does the camera lock up features or capabilities while saving to the card or is it slowing down when trying to input changes\commanda (like ISO change or AF type for example)?
*Are all the lenses compatible as well as able to keep up with Pre-Shot (though I'm mainly interests in the telephoto zooms)?
*Are there any IQ limitations or performance limitations to using Pre-Shot (like ISO limit, type of RAW file, cropping, burst speed limits, buffering size).

Any information you can share is helpful.

Uh oh, looks like someone's got an itchy purchasing finger. ;) You looking to replace that GX8?

Unfortunately my X-H1 doesn't have Pre-Shot and I haven't looked extensively at the XT-3 or XT-4, so I can't add any info for you.

- K
I am still waiting to see if OM-1 and the G9 successor will have any worthwhile IQ improvement. If not I may look at the Fujifilm option

It would be worthwhile to compare RAW images from both makers. When I did, I found that it wasn't until you used the latest sensor found in the X-T3/4 that you could see some gains in fine detail across a substantial range of ISOs, and even then it was pretty specific situations. I walked away with notion that moving from the pre-OM-1 20MP sensors to Fuji would probably not "feel" worth it, unless you just prefer the ergonomics, film sims, and higher MP. I'd have to think the OM-1 is going to catch back up where the last models fell short, save the MP difference.

Rumor has it that the next Fuji sensor to be a pretty good bump, but ain't there always something to wait for? :D

Without diverting the thread too much I'll post a link I did with a direct comparison of the Fuji X-E3 and E-M1.2 a couple years ago.

Back