Advice Wanted Fujifilm Primes v Olympus Primes [Not Pro lenses]

Adapted lenses apart from M mount lenses will generally be a bit longer/ bigger due to the size of the adapter required for the camera to align with the sensor but due to the haptics/ size of Z cameras this is not an issue.
The comparison was as close to 50 mm 35mm equivalent as I could get. A Nikon Nikkor Z 35mm f/1.8 S against my OM-D E-M1 M2 with a 25mm Olympus lens. It seems from the Nikon website that the Z series lenses are the matching lens, no? Hopefully this link will work - Compact Camera Meter

The comparison was as close to 50 mm 35mm equivalent as I could get. A Nikon Nikkor Z 35mm f/1.8 S against my OM-D E-M1 M2 with a 25mm Olympus lens. It seems from the Nikon website that the Z series lenses are the matching lens, no? Hopefully this link will work - Compact Camera Meter
Ah, when you said 38mm, I thought you were referring to an adapted lens (say the OM 38mm for example) whereas I think you were referring to a native 35mm. Got it.

So, staying on topic (you are the OP after all), I think what I said still stands in relation to that 35mm, which is that it's longer/ bigger than the m43/ Fuji equivalents (not heavier though) but that this is soon forgotten about in use due to how well the camera and lenses balance and combine together.

Just musing at the moment but this recent decision by Craig Roberts to switch from Olympus to Fujifilm has got me thinking (or wasting time). Not sure which as yet.

Anyway ignoring the body, for now, I am interested in thoughts on the Fujinon XF series primes versus the non-pro Olympus M.Zuiko Premium lenses. I am keen to move away from zooms and only use primes. I do a lot of motorcycle touring, bikepacking and bushwalking so having lenses that are relatively light and weather resistant is appealing.

Background

Current cameras: Olympus OM-D EM1 Mark II + Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark II [If I switch to Fujifilm these cameras and associated lenses would be sold and replaced with a Fujifilm XT-4 or XT-5. If I stay with Olympus I will need 12mm and 75mm prime lenses to round off the collection. I will likely sell the EM5 Mark II.
Olympus now has the OM-5 for $999. That's the guts of the EM1-iii in a highly WR IP43 body.

I've pondered Fuji gear numerous times, but the truth is the image quality difference between m43 and APS-C is at best marginal.

I sure wouldn't waste the money switching system between these two brands. If you want better image quality, go with a 35mm sensor.

I considered Fuji when moving from Nikon APS-C but discounted it due to the Olly’s IBIS and the huge range of M43 lenses.

I have to agree with @Giiba too. Unless you’re shooting at very high ISO’s, the difference is only apparent when pixel peeping.

I like having the ability to crop, so I sold my Oly gear and bought an X-T5.
Before that I shot with some hi-res sensors and missed it.
Couldn't be happier.
I made the jump for a hi-res sensor in a semi-affordable system.
It wasn't about lenses but I'm really happy with how that turned out too.

Last edited:
I will say that one of the things that inspired me to try Fuji was the handling and layout. The X-T line is really comfortable, not too big or heavy, and every imaginable dial or button is available to me (for how I shoot). I prefer a dedicated dial for ISO, and that’s just not something you can get in a lot of bodies. It’s usually something you either have to set to a button-then-dial, or you give up A or S. The G9 offers the third dial, but it’s on the bulky side of M43. The G95 has it, I believe, but there are quite a few more compromises with that body. Then there’s the EVF, where few M43 bodies offer large EVFs and some just aren’t very good at all. Fuji does a lot of little things right, and those can really add up for some folks.

I was not aware of the Nikon Z fc. I had a quick look and I really like the aesthetics I must admit. However, I was playing in Camera Size Comparison and 'put a 38(?) mm lens on it and the lens appears relatively large compared to the Olympus/Fujifilm lenses. Is that right?
That was probably the Z 28mm f/2.8 which is a FX (FF) lens but works very nicely as a 42mm-e on the Z fc, SE (special edition) version is one of the kit options for the Z fc. There's only one super-small prime for the Z system, the recently released Z 26mm f/2.8 pancake I mentioned before in this thread. If you want/need small, :mu43: and, to a degree, Fujifilm are clearly the better bet - that's one of the main reasons I keep :mu43: around. That said, even though it may look kind of bulky, the Z 28mm f/2.8 isn't a huge lens, nor is its Z 40mm f/2 stablemate - and both are FX lenses as well as optically quite good for their modest price, too. Except for a couple of zooms, there aren't any dedicated DX/APS-C Z lenses by Nikon yet; only a single DX prime is on the roadmap, as of yet (an interesting one for me, though: 24mm). S Line primes are quite a bit bigger, though optically generally fantastic, so you basically get your money's worth if you can stomach the size.

Anyhow, if you're a prime shooter, for the time being, both Fujifilm and of course :mu43: offer a lot more options, and very interesting ones, as has been pointed out. I especially love my super-wide and fisheye options, the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 and Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5; both are optically strong, small, well made and affordable.

The Sigma Contemporary f/1.4 primes will become available for Z mount soon, though. Definitely very interesting - I've owned the 30mm f/1.4 before for both :mu43: and E mount and found the lens very rewarding; on the Sony A6000, it was my go-to EDC lens. And as Tili indicated, the 56mm f/1.4 is a great lens, and small to boot. I'm on the fence about the 16mm because it's so large, though. And I don't consider the 30mm a small lens, either.

M.

Olympus now has the OM-5 for $999. That's the guts of the EM1-iii in a highly WR IP43 body.

AU$1500 here. Does not look like they are discounting it here :(

I took my OM-D EM-5 MII out today as I hadn't used it for a while. I really need to play with it a bit more but my initial impression was a reminder as to why I find the EM-1 more preferable from a body size/controls position. That said using it a bit more I might get comfortable with it.

Also seems to have a delay turning off. That is probably a fault or need for a firmware upgrade (I hope).

I frequently see the 75mm 1. 8 on Facebook groups for $500 or less. Bargain imo, if you are looking to pick one up.

Worth having a look at the Sony e mount as well. They have some smallish and compact lenses as well. As a long time m43 user, I've added the Sony a7c and a couple of lenses to my line up. I'm happy with the improved tracking autofocus, that I feel m43 has been behind in. I still plan to use m43 with the smaller prime lenses. I think it's hard to beat m43 for value and size with the f1.8 range of lenses.

Also it'll be interesting to see if what Panasonic brings out next in m43. They have hinted they haven't forgotten the smaller and more compact form cameras, and they now have phase detect af as well.

I frequently see the 75mm 1. 8 on Facebook groups for $500 or less. Bargain imo, if you are looking to pick one up.
[/QUOTE]

I hadn't considered Facebook Marketplace. Just had a look locally. Sure is a range of sellers and prices. Some clearly do not know what they are selling and some are hoping to make a killing, e.g., Sigma 56mm F1.4 which sells new for AU$638 and the seller is asking AU$550 (condition unknown). For that price I would be expecting as new or thereabouts or am I being a cheap stake :)?

Worth having a look at the Sony e mount as well. They have some smallish and compact lenses as well. As a long time m43 user, I've added the Sony a7c and a couple of lenses to my line up. I'm happy with the improved tracking autofocus, that I feel m43 has been behind in. I still plan to use m43 with the smaller prime lenses. I think it's hard to beat m43 for value and size with the f1.8 range of lense
Not a huge fan of Sony aesthetics but will take a second look for sure.

I kinda looked at Fujifilm at one time, especially when wondering about the future of OMDS. However, at my age, I'm not ready to adopt and learn an entirely new system and to invest in a bunch of new or used bodies and lenses, especially for a system that may end up significantly bigger and heavier than my M43 stuff. I also don't expect to see much difference between the M43 sensor and the APS-C sensor. Seems to me that you gotta jump at least two steps, up to FF, to see an appreciable difference. What also put me off was Dennis Mook's AF consistency troubles with his XT-4 (thewanderinglensman). @Aushiker, if you really gotta scratch that itch, the only way it's gonna happen is if you get a Fuji camera and some lenses and live with them for a while. Doesn't matter what we say, you gotta experience it for yourself. Don't give up your M43 stuff yet until you're sure you're going to make the change. But, keep your expectations in line. Don't expect miracles.

Back