Fuji Fujifilm X-Pro 1: my impressions

Landshark

PhotoDog
Jul 15, 2010
SoCal
Bob
Those are review copies, mind you, otherwise my wife would be very upset. And, frankly speaking, while I'm really tempted, I think both cameras in terms of ergonomics and efficiency are worse than my own Panasonic GH2 (although image quality is, of course, better).

Thanks!
It is all a matter of personal preference, I for one find the XPro my favorite when it comes to ergonomics.

krugorg

All-Pro
Sep 26, 2011
Minnesota USA
Kyle Krug
B&W image developed in RPP and edited & converted to B&W in Lightroom:

Full size: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/rUxAzRnGTrhQxNYAexv9.jpg

I think the result is excellent. Most luminance information is contained in the green channel, and X-Pro 1 has more green pixels than any other camera of the same total resolution. And no AA filter to soften the image.

Thanks for the comments on the B&W conversion! I was curious on this after reading Reid's review. He was very positive about the camera, but then said his B&W conversions were somewhat flat. He speculated that it could be something to do with the X-trans color filter. I figured it had probably more to do with the RAW conversion tool and settings.

By the way, how much do you need to sharpen the XPro images versus the K-01? I realize there were different tools used, but I am curious to hear your feedback. Thanks!

stratokaster

Top Veteran
Dec 27, 2010
Kiev, Ukraine
Pavel
By the way, how much do you need to sharpen the XPro images versus the K-01? I realize there were different tools used, but I am curious to hear your feedback. Thanks!
I used zero sharpening in RPP and added a tiny amount of sharpening (15, which is way less than standard 25) in Lightroom. K-01 requires dealing in at least 50 to look as sharp.

stratokaster

Top Veteran
Dec 27, 2010
Kiev, Ukraine
Pavel
I think OOC JPEGs have better color (despite the fact that RPP is the best RAW converter I know in terms of handling color), but RAW preserves more fine detail (such as eyelashes).

Ray Sachs

Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Not too far from Philly
you should be able to figure it out...
I can't say that I had problems with B&W conversions, so far.
I don't even underSTAND how a particular camera that's good in color could be less good for B&W conversions. Your conversion software will interpret the color information, let you manipulate it as you wish, and you end up with a B&W file that looks like you want it to. I have yet to have a camera that I liked in color that I didn't like equally well in B&W. And a few cameras that I did NOT love in color I was still very happy with the B&W I could get out of it. When I see comments like Sean's on the X-Pro or on the new mono-Lieca I just have to think they're looking for things that might not exist. Or else I just don't look at photography in such a way that I'd ever see what they're complaining about. The Leica images are lovely, as many are, due mostly to the photographers and the amazing lenses. I don't see how one camera is better for B&W conversions than another, as long as they produce decent colors...

And, as if I needed to say it, I'm more than happy with the B&W capabilities of the X-Pro 1... (and EM5, and X100, and GRD3 and GXR, etc, etc, etc...

-Ray

View attachment 54095

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
North Carolina
Dan
These two were taken using the B&W with Red filter setting on the Xpro. All the hype about the Leica M9M has got me thinking about the Xpro as a B&W camera. It does the job plenty fine for me. So I have to agree with Ray on this. The first shot when examined has all "zones" from 0 through 9. Both were taken with the 35 f1.4.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom