Fuji Fujifilm X-Pro 1: my impressions

stratokaster

Top Veteran
Name
Pavel
My take on the X-Pro 1:

Great looking body, excellent ergonomics, excellent viewfinder (except the fact that it has no diopter correction whatsoever).

Rather fast operation. Surprisingly good buffering and write times using 6fps continuous drive mode (after the X100 I was expecting less).

Clumsy AF. Don't like the choice between AF speed and minimum focus distance.

EXCELLENT LENSES. Fast, sharp, extremely pleasing bokeh.

RAW files... Wow, just wow. Opened in RPP, exported as 16-bit TIFFs and then edited in Lightroom they are mind-bogglingly good. When I first saw an ISO 6400 shot (and taken in a really low light) I didn't believe my eyes.

Some shots to follow.

I got mine today. I'm rather smitten at the moment. It feels really nice in my hand and although the focus is not very fast, it's not as bad as I'd feared. The Q menu makes all the difference to me. I took about 30 pics in the garden straight off and felt that they were all wonderful (of course they aren't but I'll have to have a cull tomorrow!) but the image quality is outstanding. Somehow this lens just makes even mundane things look good :)

I got mine today. I'm rather smitten at the moment. It feels really nice in my hand and although the focus is not very fast, it's not as bad as I'd feared. The Q menu makes all the difference to me. I took about 30 pics in the garden straight off and felt that they were all wonderful (of course they aren't but I'll have to have a cull tomorrow!) but the image quality is outstanding. Somehow this lens just makes even mundane things look good :)

I'm assuming you have the 35? I now have all three and while I really have no issues with the 18 and the 35, the 60 seems to be a bit of a struggle for me when using the optical viewfinder. So, when I throw the 60 on I just switch to the electronic viewfinder and it seems to work like a charm. After learning on the x100, the xpro is almost second nature, and I have to agree, the q menu is awesome!

Congrats on the new camera!

The best way to develop Fujifilm X-Pro 1 RAW files so far:

1) Load into RPP, set exposure, WB and black point

2) Export as 16-bit TIFFs

3) Import and adjust in Lightroom as desired (noise reduction, etc)

The best way to develop Fujifilm X-Pro 1 RAW files so far:

1) Load into RPP, set exposure, WB and black point

2) Export as 16-bit TIFFs

3) Import and adjust in Lightroom as desired (noise reduction, etc)

Pavel, have you done any B&W conversion in Lightroom or Nik? if you have, I am curious to hear what you thought of the output vs the X100.

Color image developed in RPP and finished in Lightroom:

SWKF46yhZ4GdKZxpRPmE.jpg

Full size: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/SWKF46yhZ4GdKZxpRPmE.jpg

By the way, image quality is really nice for an accidentally underexposed ISO 800 file.

B&W image developed in RPP and edited & converted to B&W in Lightroom:

rUxAzRnGTrhQxNYAexv9.jpg

Full size: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/rUxAzRnGTrhQxNYAexv9.jpg

I think the result is excellent. Most luminance information is contained in the green channel, and X-Pro 1 has more green pixels than any other camera of the same total resolution. And no AA filter to soften the image.

I am really looking forwards to seeing images from these machines soon.

There have read many mixed opinions about this camera and as an X100 user I have been concentrating on only reading genuine user comments as opposed to "Official reviewers".

I do hear mixed opinions about AF so have not formed an opinion on it, suffice to say that for my needs, the X100 with firmware 1.21 is perfectly adequate so hope the XPro-1 is faster; can you make the camera silent as per X100? (I know there is a difference between Leaf & focal plane shutters) but I wonder just how silent the shutter can be as the total silence of X100 is great for street/event work.

can you make the camera silent as per X100? (I know there is a difference between Leaf & focal plane shutters) but I wonder just how silent the shutter can be as the total silence of X100 is great for street/event work.

Yes, it does have the silent mode. Its shutter is very quiet. I was less than 2m from this elderly woman, took several photos and she never noticed.

Iansky, I own both, and while I love the pure silence of the x100, the xpro is very quiet as well. Not as quiet, but unless someone is very close to you I don't think they would ever hear it. As a bonus, what shutter sound can be heard is so pleasant I don't think anyone that could hear it would be put off by it. It's quite SEXY!!
I am really looking forwards to seeing images from these machines soon.

There have read many mixed opinions about this camera and as an X100 user I have been concentrating on only reading genuine user comments as opposed to "Official reviewers".

I do hear mixed opinions about AF so have not formed an opinion on it, suffice to say that for my needs, the X100 with firmware 1.21 is perfectly adequate so hope the XPro-1 is faster; can you make the camera silent as per X100? (I know there is a difference between Leaf & focal plane shutters) but I wonder just how silent the shutter can be as the total silence of X100 is great for street/event work.

Thanks both for the feedback on shutter noise, that is another tick in the positive box for me.

Getting better (or worse if you were my D700 kit potentially facing exchange)

Pavel, you are on fire!! XP1 and now NEX7!! Woohoo!! Keep the photos coming!

Those are review copies, mind you, otherwise my wife would be very upset. And, frankly speaking, while I'm really tempted, I think both cameras in terms of ergonomics and efficiency are worse than my own Panasonic GH2 (although image quality is, of course, better).

Great conversion!

Thanks!

Back