Fujifilm X-Pro 1, Sony NEX-7, Panasonic DMC-GH2, Olympus VF-2: EVF comparison

I was glad when I read it on a few sites (so not my idea, but glad it helped you). Its very disappointing that a camera with a sensor that has so much DR has a viewfinder with so little. Hopefully the requests I've seen for Sony to include a separate VF adjustment in a firmware update can be listened to, because it really is a fun camera to use.

Yes, the DR of the NEX-7 sensor is phenomenal. I find shadows to be nearly unrecoverable (they are grainy and green-tinted even at ISO 100), but highlight headroom is sensational.

My only experience is with the LVF2 I had for my GX-1, and the built-in EVF in the G3. They behaved very similarly, and I disliked both. While being fairly large, with no noticeable lag, the overall contrast just had my eyeballs bleeding ! (figure of speech). I had to turn brightness two notches down, and conrast one, before I got a decently reliable exposure compensation. As much as I disliked them, they were great for sunny situations and invaluable in manual focus (though not halfway as useful as focus peaking on the NEX).
I'm impatently waiting for the NEX 6 to come out as I don't want to shell out a bunch of money for an external evf, when a better camera with a built-in one is coming out in two months !

Missing dimension of comparison

Resolution and size are important attributes of an EVF, but latency is also important. For example, the latency on the GH1 EVF is minimal but the latency on the Fuji X100 EVF is substantial which has caused me to miss many shots. How do the four EVFs you cite compare in latency (lag)?

Back