Fuji Fujifilm X100 firmware 2.0 / confirmed!!!

No phase detect pixels on the sensor either.

Honestly, I don't find there to be much of a speed improvement with the X100S - maybe its just my camera, but an X100 with the latest firmware seems nearly as fast. As far as X-Trans goes, I think I actually prefer the look (and smaller file sizes) of the X100 files, though I do appreciate the better high ISO performance.

The main reason I bought the X100S was for the reported increase in AF speed (which I'm not terribly impressed with over the X100), the better manual focusing (including peaking) and overall better operational speed of the camera, and the improved MFD before needing to enter into macro mode. The Q menu is the other advancement, but as I shoot nearly exclusively in RAW and manual, I'd rather have two programmable function buttons - the top button for ISO and the RAW button for the ND filter. If Fuji could update the X100S Q menu in firmware to make it customizable, I'd love that though.

Assuming Fuji deliver everything that's rumoured I'm seriously wondering why I purchased an X100S. All the disadvantages that led me to go with the newer model will have been remedied.

No dual image manual focusing either & no improved "fingerprint-less" viewfinder glass either.

No dual image manual focusing either & no improved "fingerprint-less" viewfinder glass either.

I haven't found the split image focusing to be all that useful as I seldom put my subject in the center of the frame. The peaking option works much better for me. If the X100S viewfinder glass is 'fingerprint-less' I'd have a real issue with the X100! I always seem to be cleaning my X100S with a lenspen.

I don't have the X100s to make my own comparison :)
But yes, the viewfinder glass on the "s" is much improved so I hear. But if it means anything, I'm always cleaning my X100 VF glass too....

A DPR forum member also e-mailed B&H, because they'd put up an announcement of the FW update and then pulled it from their website. B&H's reply was that Fuji pulled back the update at the last minute, but they're still expecting it to appear at some point in the future.

Honestly, I don't find there to be much of a speed improvement with the X100S - maybe its just my camera, but an X100 with the latest firmware seems nearly as fast. As far as X-Trans goes, I think I actually prefer the look (and smaller file sizes) of the X100 files, though I do appreciate the better high ISO performance.

The main reason I bought the X100S was for the reported increase in AF speed (which I'm not terribly impressed with over the X100), the better manual focusing (including peaking) and overall better operational speed of the camera, and the improved MFD before needing to enter into macro mode. The Q menu is the other advancement, but as I shoot nearly exclusively in RAW and manual, I'd rather have two programmable function buttons - the top button for ISO and the RAW button for the ND filter. If Fuji could update the X100S Q menu in firmware to make it customizable, I'd love that though.

I with u ..I handled X100S side by today at a digital Show and I am really impressed how Fast X100 yes..X100 is . I also love files from old sensor .
Cheers
Bhupinder

The X100S is a second generation model with several dozens of improvements that may be relevant to those who are actually using the camera in the field. Comparing bodies at a trade show won't reveal anything useful, as both cameras are X100s.

I have spent a few weeks researching the differences, and I have written two columns about it, one presenting the new model and one comparing it to the classic X100.

Of course, the classic X100 is still as capable as ever, and it keeps improving thanks to firmware updates like the one that was initially scheduled for 25JUL, then for 10SEP and now for whenever Fuji is finally ready. The folks at Fuji are currently quite busy rolling out new product, their schedule is extremely tight and quite ambitious. I wouldn't be surprised by further delays, and in the end, I'd rather have products that work than having customers used as beta testers.

OTOH, timing is important, the competition doesn't sleep, quite to the contrary. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are currently in the process of releasing their next generation cameras, and Fuji still has to show us their answer to that.

The X100S is a second generation model with several dozens of improvements that may be relevant to those who are actually using the camera in the field. Comparing bodies at a trade show won't reveal anything useful, as both cameras are X100s.

I have spent a few weeks researching the differences, and I have written two columns about it, one presenting the new model and one comparing it to the classic X100.

Of course, the classic X100 is still as capable as ever, and it keeps improving thanks to firmware updates like the one that was initially scheduled for 25JUL, then for 10SEP and now for whenever Fuji is finally ready. The folks at Fuji are currently quite busy rolling out new product, their schedule is extremely tight and quite ambitious. I wouldn't be surprised by further delays, and in the end, I'd rather have products that work than having customers used as beta testers.

OTOH, timing is important, the competition doesn't sleep, quite to the contrary. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are currently in the process of releasing their next generation cameras, and Fuji still has to show us their answer to that.

Lol ..don't spoil the game plan please .. The only way to keep GAS under control is to ignore all improvements .AF is not a major issue for me at all X100 is pretty fast . I love output from old sensor and everything else might have improved but I am happy with X100. I am planning to pick up Fuji XE1 with 18-55 mm lens instead of X100s. This is the game plan .. Save USD 600 from upgrade and add 300 more , pick up XE1 .

Back