Fuji Fujifilm xf 56mm f/1.2 r lens

B&H must have received a fairly large shipment of goods from Fujifilm - I 'pre-ordered' a black X100S yesterday after speaking to a rep that quoted me an expected wait time of 7-14 days before the next shipment and it shipped out today. That was certainly unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i guess staying up that night to order the second it was available didn't really make a difference. and in spite of what joseph said, mine won't be shipping this round.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

okay, so after a short conversation with a Josef A. this time, i was told it's still scheduled to ship out today. since it hadn't shipped, i was only inquiring to expedite. he put it on hold so i could call in to pay for it.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Mine too! Unfortunately, I just started a trial today ... going to have to speed it up.

Ron, just use it to shoot some of the witnesses you're cross examining - that ought to go over well! ;)

This is a lens I know I'm gonna buy but I'm coming into a pretty long period of not a whole lot of shooting opportunities, so I'm actually not in a huge hurry for it. Maybe a month or two but realistically it'll be longer than that before I really use it a lot...

-Ray

I was hoping to have mine before next Tuesday to shoot at a St Baldrick's event. But my status just says ordered. Guess I should've pre ordered sooner.

It looks like Adorama has some in stock right now. At least, there's no out of stock or preorder notice in the page right now.
I noticed this late yesterday and placed an order. As you mentioned their site is not displaying pre-order or out of stock which usually is the indicator stock is available. I just checked again and it still is showing new release status. I'm hoping to see the order status move along before I get my hopes too high. I could get lucky since I didn't have a chance to even pre-order.

So...I have it in hand...

It is a chunky lens. A little larger than the 23/1.4, but not hugely so. It's lighter than it looks, though. The focus ring feels beautifully damped and smooth. The aperture ring is OK. It's not loose like the 14mm ring, but it's not as tight as the 23mm, 35 and 60 that I have. Detents feel a little shallow to me, especially on A (not that I'll ever use it there), though the f/1.2 detent is good. I can move the ring up and down slightly, though. In 'feel' it's probably closest to the 23mm ring.

Autofocus is quick but not blazing, and it can slow down if focusing on closer stuff. Don't think it's going to break records, but it's not bad. Focus isn't as quiet as the zooms, but it's quieter than the other prime lenses for the most part.

Optics: I've only shot a handful of shots around the office really quick, so I can't comment too much, except to say that it's more than acceptable at f/1.2. It's about the same as the 23mm f/1.4 is wide open, which is pretty darn good. Contrast isn't really biting at f/1.2, but it's pretty good overall, and resolution is quite high as well. There's some CA that's present when opening in PN, though Lightroom corrects it instantly with no problems.

Some quick test shots, all at f/1.2:

bree56.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ade56.jpg

(close up)
joel56.jpg

Back