Fuji Showcase Fujifilm XF10 - A place to share your photos

I'm getting quite fond of the XF10 as a very portable, high-quality camera. I had to return it for dust spots on the sensor so we'll see if they reappear. However, for about £230, I think it's very good value.
DSCF9834.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF9733.jpg

I bought one of these in May this year, as my always with me / personal point of view camera that offers considerably better IQ than a smartphone (except for modern phones' excellent HDR modes). The X100 is just too big and heavy to always have with me (I don't always carry a bag, and no jacket for much of the year).

So far, mostly good.
Focusing in good to decent light is fast enough for most situations, although it can get quite horrid in low contrast / low light. User interface could be better, but the twin unmarked dials work a treat. It's small, light enough to hold with three fingers (and a wrist strap) for extended periods, and the lens doesn't telescope as much as the GR, which makes me more confident with keeping it in my pants pocket without toomuchfear of dust. On top of that, it was cheap as chips (275 euros refurbished with 3 year warranty).

The lens cap is a PITA though, and the focus point joystick is set too low for one handed shooting, and feels fiddly to begin with: a larger, more rubbery joystick/pad would be much better. Those are all the downsides though; initially I thought I needed more custom buttons, but for the simple snapshot photography I find myself doing with this camera, two custom buttons is exactly enough: one for snap focus and one for flash, should I ever need it.

Not to mention, the files are awesome. Excellent resolution, fine JPEGs have plenty of latitude for some mild processing in LR should I feel so inclined, but with some choice film sim settings, and the occasional tweak with the in camera raw editor, I've only felt the need to pull a handful of images through LR.

All of these are either Pro Neg Hi (first 5) or Pro Neg Std (last 4), with +1 or +2 shadows, -1 highlights, +1 color, and -4 NR. This way, tone curve, texture and (on Pro Neg Std) saturation are an almost exact match for Classic Chrome, but the colors are delightfully neutral, which I've come to really appreciate. I use this Pro Neg Std recipe for people shots and highly saturated scenes; Pro Neg Hi for scenes that could use a bit more drama while still feeling real.

Without the shadow, highlight and color adjustments, Pro Neg Std would lack bite for me; default Pro Neg Hi would take its place as my people shot profile, but for more punch, I'd need to switch to a profile with more color twists like Classic Chrome, or selective saturation boosts like Provia or Astia. Since the XF10 doesn't allow you to save multiple jpeg settings (like a muted and a boosted version of the same profile / film sim), I'm lucky to like the Pro Neg colors so much :)

2021_0505_15500300.jpg

2021_0514_12534200.jpg

2021_0513_16260300.jpg

2021_0524_17331000 (1).jpg

2021_0524_19531100 (1).jpg

2021_0528_21154400.jpg

2021_0605_00223900.jpg

2021_0607_00384100.jpg

2021_0605_00210100.jpg

Just thought of one other downside: DR expansion mode. It's useless. Wayyyyy slower to kick in on Auto than on my OG X100. I know some people complained about earlier models triggering it to soon, but I can barely get it to activate DR200 in the most atrociously contrasty scenes imaginable, and I think DR400 has been removed from Auto entirely. And when it does select DR200 or especially DR400 (the latter manually), it somehow warms up the white balance to make clear skies look like Shanghai smog. Disappointing, as I loved it on the X100.

Some more shots from my first year of ownership; many previously posted in other threads already. Still love this camera, but one of the dials started playing up, may need to send it in while its warranty lasts.

All of these are SOOC in Pro Neg Std, with two or three Pro Neg Hi, all with highlight contrast -1, shadow contrast +1, color +1, NR -4, auto WB with no adjustments (the natural colors are why I use the Pro Negs).

2022_0506_19025200.jpg

2022_0506_15541400.jpg

2021_1127_16212100.jpg

2021_1127_15065200.jpg

2021_1217_12000400.jpg

2021_0926_09315900.jpg

2021_0922_09250700.jpg

2021_0919_12491900.jpg

2021_0716_18532500.jpg

2021_0829_14461200.jpg

Last edited:
Two more shots with my new (to me) XF10, and one observation. Both taken while walking around town.
First, a sticker/decal on the back window of a car--

XF10_Dec4_23_mushrooms_car_window_sticker.jpg

Then a detail of another car's license plate, featuring a Disney-style Oregon Duck!

XF10_Dec4_23_Oregon_Duck_license_plate.jpg

My observation is that this little camera has a very useful touchscreen - which provides an interesting alternative to pressing the shutter button: simply touch the spot on the screen where you want the focus to be, and the camera instantly focuses on it - and then (if you desire) takes the picture.
Confession: I haven't done much touchscreen photography. The only two cameras I had before this one that also seemed to lend themselves to it were a small Lumix GM1 - and a Canon G1x MkIII. With cameras like my X-T5, or my former Lumix GX8 - both of which have superb EVF's - I almost never use the touchscreens. But, weirdly (at least it seems a tad weird to me, initially) this small camera is really fun to shoot with the touchscreen. It's kind of fun, actually.

Last edited:
Given how similar the FoV is to most smartphones' main cameras, the two reasons I use the XF10 are better image quality for the rare occasions I want to print, and a nicer user interface. As such, I turned off the touchscreen as soon as I got it.

I don't like the not-quite-rugged feeling of the focusing joystick so I usually just focus and recompose. Maybe I should give the touchscreen a go...

Two more shots with my new (to me) XF10, and one observation. Both taken while walking around town.
First, a sticker/decal on the back window of a car--

View attachment 433624

Then a detail of another car's license plate, featuring a Disney-style Oregon Duck!

View attachment 433625

My observation is that this little camera has a very useful touchscreen - which provides a very useful alternative to pressing the shutter button: simply touch the spot on the screen where you want the focus to be, and the camera instantly focuses on it - and then (if you desire) takes the picture.
Confession: I haven't done much touchscreen photography. The only two cameras I had before this one that also seemed to lend themselves to it were a small Lumix GM1 - and a Canon G1x MkIII. With cameras like my X-T5, or my former Lumix GX8 - both of which have superb EVF's - I almost never use the touchscreens. But, weirdly (at least it seems a tad weird to me, initially) this small camera is really fun to shoot with the touchscreen. It's kind of fun, actually.

Your E-M5 has the touchscreen focus & shoot option also. Pretty handy option once utilized.

A few angles on this ancient International truck, a true automotive dinosaur.

XF10_Dec13_23_International_truck_front_side.jpg

Taken on an overcast, gray and cloudy day.

XF10_Dec13_23_International_truck_front_side#2.jpg

The fixed wide-angle POV of the lens in this small Fuji offers interesting possibilities for framing, I think.

XF10_Dec13_23_International_truck_front_cab(cloudy).jpg

All taken using the camera's built-in Classic Chrome simulation, with minor tweaking (mainly adjusting contrast) in LR & Nik Color Pro2.

Back