Fuji Fujifilm XT-50

I don't want to criticize this camera too much because I know deep in my heart I will eventually sell my X-T3 and buy one. I just really like the X-Txx series, and cameras, like cars, are not always completely rational decisions. I'll let it drag on a while until we see some deals or used models appear. As Clint once said, "a man has to know his limitations".🤠

Last edited:
The Fuji XT-50 is a no go for me...too expensive for what it is since it does not have weather sealing and no articulating screen. Plus, I see no need for those high MP's.

From what I can see of product photos, there are 3 spots on the sim dial that would appear to be customizable, unless I'm not understanding what they are. FS1-FS3 should be customizable, right?

View attachment 469133

Perhaps, and that would be good news if so. But in Omar's video, he didn't get into those specifically, but did say that the film sim dial only changed the film sim, not stored adjustments (like WB shift, shadows, etc). Perhaps the FS1-FS3 buttons do.

No manual posted on the Fuji site, so no way to validate unless another video covers this.

I suspect that FS1/2/3 allow you to add more of the 20 or so built-in sims. Although I could be wrong, I’d bet that won’t include your own custom sims.

Perhaps, and that would be good news if so. But in Omar's video, he didn't get into those specifically, but did say that the film sim dial only changed the film sim, not stored adjustments (like WB shift, shadows, etc). Perhaps the FS1-FS3 buttons do.

No manual posted on the Fuji site, so no way to validate unless another video covers this.
That seems to be a bug, IMO. The X-T3 I had did something similar. You build a custom sim, and if it involves changing WB, it often would fail to change back when selecting something else. It was very inconsistent, and you had to always check. Perhaps this issue on the X-T50 is related and the problem still persists, which is a shame.

For me the Fuji XT-50 is a no go as it is expensive for not having weather sealing, a fully articulated screen and for me a high mp count which I find unnecessary. I know others will love it though. It's just not for me.

That seems to be a bug, IMO. The X-T3 I had did something similar. You build a custom sim, and if it involves changing WB, it often would fail to change back when selecting something else. It was very inconsistent, and you had to always check. Perhaps this issue on the X-T50 is related and the problem still persists, which is a shame.
Strange, on my X-T3, whenever I change a custom setting in the Q menu, all the different settings change accordingly, including white balance!

I find it interesting that just as the X-T5 gets the controversial film sim dial, the Panasonic S9 gets the the dedicated LUT button. My own wild theory here, but one thing I like about using my phone is that I can edit the image on the the device itself. I wonder if we will see more cameras with ways to enhance the Jpegs/videos directly in camera.

I hope this gains traction across manufacturers. I like my film simulations as much as the next guy, but having a well-defined output color space and full in-camera LUT support is clearly superior.
I have never used a LUT. I usually shoot raw + jpeg and use PS/ACR. Of course, I shoot daily but only process 2-4 files, and I only take the occasional video with my phone.

Last edited:
I'm coming around to the idea of the X-T50, a smaller ILC is something I've been thinking about for a while. I'm typically unadventurous with my own film sims, -4 NR, +1 Sharpen as a base default so I could happily work with the new dial. The thing I'm most unsure of at the moment is the EVF specs, which seems to be almost criminally neglected by Fujifilm.

This camera might pair nicely with the Sigma 18-50 (and/or 10-18) now that it has IBIS. I might be interested in this for a smaller second body, but the rumored pricing seems unreasonable.

I find it interesting that just as the X-T5 gets the controversial film sim dial, the Panasonic S9 gets the the dedicated LUT button. My own wild theory here, but one thing I like about using my phone is that I can edit the image on the the device itself. I wonder if we will see more cameras with ways to enhance the Jpegs/videos directly in camera.
Steve, Olympus has always (?) had the ability to edit the RAW in-camera by changing the camera settings, then outputting the resulting JPEG to a new file. The only issue with it is that it uses a completely new file name.

I've only ever used it a few times.

It's like the ability to record notes with the same filename as the image, but with an audio filename extension. Very handy at times.

Steve, Olympus has always (?) had the ability to edit the RAW in-camera by changing the camera settings, then outputting the resulting JPEG to a new file. The only issue with it is that it uses a completely new file name.

I've only ever used it a few times.

It's like the ability to record notes with the same filename as the image, but with an audio filename extension. Very handy at times.
Fuji does something similar with in camera raw processing. For example, you can pick a different film sim, adjust the settings, and create a new jpeg.

I’m not thrilled about the price, but it’s hard to compare it to the previous iterations of this line. It has IBIS and their best sensor. If they had given it a new line designation, X-P10, the price wouldn’t have seemed so weird. Prices have gone up and 1400 USD is near the bottom of the current range. I know there are cheaper alternatives, like the Nikon Z5, but Fuji are betting you won’t want that camera. We’ll see.

Last edited:
I’m not thrilled about the price, but it’s hard to compare it to the previous iterations of this line. It has IBIS and their best sensor. If they had given it a new line designation, X-P10, the price wouldn’t have seemed so weird. Prices have gone up and 1400 USD is near the bottom of the current range. I know there are cheaper alternatives, like the Nikon Z5, but Fuji are getting you won’t want that camera. We’ll see.
It occurred to me that the X-T50 is $200 more expensive (in my local currency) than the X100v was when I bought it brand new.

Back