Fuji Fujifilm's business model.

Phoenix

All-Pro
Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Instead off going off topic in another thread, I’ll start a new one.

Bill coined the term “Fujicron” and just for yuks I called the 16mm 1.4 (which I am planning to purchase) a “Fujilux”

I was watching some reviews for the 16mm 1.4 in youtube and came across a video by bigheadtaco and he did mention something about Leica’s business model of releasing lenses with similar focal lengths but different speeds, build quality and prices e.g. 1.4 lenses – Summilux, 2.0 lenses – Summicron, 2.8 lenses – Summarit / Elmarit, etc…

Each with varying prices, sizes, etc..

Fuji has released their F2 versions (23mm, 35mm, 50mm) which is a stop slower than earlier 1.4 offerings. But by losing one stop of speed you gain a more compact size, weather sealing, autofocus performance, etc.. (I won’t mention sharpness because it’s somewhat subjective, and I do want to maintain a civilised conversation). They now have lenses with similar focal lengths but with different speeds, different sizes, different builds, and different price points.

What are your thoughts about Fuji adapting a similar business model whereas they have the “Fujilux” f1.4 models, the “Fujicron” f2 models, etc.. Should they adapt it? Avoid it? Do something different? Let us hear your thoughts. (whether it’s pros or cons, be nice)

I think it is the best way to go. Canon also releases lenses in different variations of the same focal length. There are 4 different versions of the 70-200 in the canon lineup for example. Everyone has different needs for their work, as well as different budgets. This is a great way to get more customers.

To take it a step further. I also think Fuji was smart to release lenses in focal lengths which are in Full Frame equivalents.

I come from the world of Leica where this is the norm, so I am all for it. I love being able to tailor and mix and match according to my needs in general and specifically for my objectives at the time. Each year I do a critical review of the lenses I have, so I am just in the process of shifting the 60mm and replacing it with the new 50. I already have the Touit 50 so that meets my macro needs but is neither WR nor particularly lightweight. I also have the 56 so that gives me midrange tele speed. In the 35 range I have both the 1.4 and 2 so I have speed and portability. Years ago I did this:

Slide1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Slide2.jpg
Slide3.jpg
Slide5.jpg

...it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to do something similar for the current Fuji/Zeiss lineup...

Back