Fuji Fujinon 14mm f/2.8 Close Focus at f/16

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
One of the things I like to do in urbex is get real close with an ultrawide but some don't focus very close. So, you end up stopping down a lot and ending up with diffraction limited sharpness that is often visible. Also, when you're close the DOF on even an ultrawide can seem surprisingly shallow making it difficult to get the shot you want.

I struggled with this on micro four thirds because even though they had deeper DOF, they got into diffraction limited blurs faster.

Here's a test shot today with the 14mm f/2.8 and a 100% crop (should be viewed 1025 pixels across). I think this lens focuses plenty close, and is pretty sharp even at f/16.

The shot is in Fuji Velvia mode in mixed lighting, hence the wild color. From JPG with minimal processing and sharpening at ISO 400.

Full Shot:

9809806625_5522c89067_b.jpg

Fujinon 14mm Close Focus Test: One Good Turn by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

100% crop near center:

9809812724_60b2218087_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fujinon 14mm Close Focus Test: One Good Turn (100% crop) by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

By no means macro close, lol. That's about a 3 to 4 inch diamater handle I think. But that's as close as I can get to it.

Thanks.

When you say " as close as I can get to it" is that physically or as close as it will focus? With any of the Fuji primes you can use the macro setting on the body getting you a little closer. I have shot a macro of a small beetle with the XF14.

When you say " as close as I can get to it" is that physically or as close as it will focus? With any of the Fuji primes you can use the macro setting on the body getting you a little closer. I have shot a macro of a small beetle with the XF14.

As close as I could get. The lens was in manual, with ring engaged in MF. Are you saying that in autofocus the body will focus CLOSER? That's an intriguing idea if true. Can you point me to that photo uncropped? I can't imaging it's a very big beetle photo -- you'd need to be like less than an inch from a small beetle at 21mm equivalent. Now if it's one of those ridiculous african or asian beetles well, yeah, lol.

Here's what you get at closest focus from Ken Rockwell: http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-mount-lenses/14mm/DSCF1970-macro.jpg

You'd HAVE to crop. The only reason I'm as close as I am is because at f/16 I can pull in closer due to DOF aiding me.

Max magnification from the spec sheet is 0.12 x -- that's just worse than 8:1 (or is that 1:8 -- at any rate, negative magnification) and not particularly "macro". I think you must be thinking of a different lens.

Fuji spec sheet is here: XF14mmF2.8 R | Lenses | FUJIFILM Digital Camera X Series & GFX – USA

Back