Fuji Showcase Fujinon XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS

Jman13

Regular
Well, I guess I get to be the first to christen the 16-50 sample archive. Got the X-M1 with 16-50 yesterday. After shooting a bit with it, the 16-50 is pretty decent. It's not exceptional, but it's not bad at all. At the wide end, f/8 is where the best across the frame performance comes...you're not going to equal the 14/2.8 or even the 18-55 across the frame, but it's pretty sharp overall, with just a little softer corners and edges stopped down. Wide open, the edges suffer. I'm finding the long end quite good actually, even wide open.

Some samples:
50mm, f/5.6:
xm1_eagle.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50mm, f/8:
xm1_boats.jpg

26mm @ f/11:
morning_dock.jpg

22mm @ f/4:
chair_wide.jpg

16mm, f/7.1:
xm1_columbus.jpg

50mm, f/5.6:
xm1_mile.jpg

16mm @ f/8:
xm1_river.jpg

Excellent - but wait?!?! Is that The Chair from your earlier series?:eek_old: I can't believe it's still getting knocked around.

How do you like the LCD screen and its tilting mechanism?

Lovely black and white scene under the bridge with that nice old boat, and the reflections in those two color water scenes...very nice.

Some more with the X-M1 and 16-50. The third shot has a tiny bit of camera shake, but I was pushing the IS a fair bit.

hayden_falls2.jpg

hayden_roots.jpg

hayden_falls1.jpg

My thanks to you both for these! I am enjoying seeing the images and knowing the EXIF, too. It helps me to try to visualize what I'd use this lens for. I've always liked the wider angles but it's good to bear in mind the advantages that a zoom might well offer.

Dmitry, welcome to FujiXSpot!

You are the same Brodsky from MU43 right? If yes, I recall you have some great photos in your Smug site! You switch over to Fuji or running multiple systems?

Thanks

Dmitry, welcome to FujiXSpot!

You are the same Brodsky from MU43 right? If yes, I recall you have some great photos in your Smug site! You switch over to Fuji or running multiple systems?

Well I am 'absolutic' from MU43, dpreview, nikoncafe, potn, fred miranda, and other forums, but for some reason this forum added me with my real name and I am unable to change my name to absolutic here. I like consistency.

I am running multiple systems with m43 fuji and Nikon full frame right now (and have had others). I bought the XA1 the moment it came out but unfortunately decided to return it after few weeks of using. Like everything about it, except cannot deal with lack of viewfinder. Just cannot deal with it period. I will have to 'get by' with X100s for now, and I will get XE2 at a later point after it comes out.

I just bought the XA1. I am with you on the lack of viewfinder. But otherwise, very impressed with the image quality from it. At the price point, most likely a keeper for me. Welcome to the forum! Look forward to seeing your photos here.

Well I am 'absolutic' from MU43, dpreview, nikoncafe, potn, fred miranda, and other forums, but for some reason this forum added me with my real name and I am unable to change my name to absolutic here. I like consistency.

I am running multiple systems with m43 fuji and Nikon full frame right now (and have had others). I bought the XA1 the moment it came out but unfortunately decided to return it after few weeks of using. Like everything about it, except cannot deal with lack of viewfinder. Just cannot deal with it period. I will have to 'get by' with X100s for now, and I will get XE2 at a later point after it comes out.

haven't really got much chance to shoot it yet as I have better lenses for dealing with the darkness that is life at this time of year, but with the ois it is quite capable for a lens that cost me very little (I think $160 Canadian all said and done)

15830058449_3079d94d30_c.jpg
20141212-DSCF5117-Edit.jpg by Eddie Smith, on Flickr

Bought more for my wife who likes a zoom i think i will use it a bit as well because it seems too good for a plastic kit lens :)

Back