Fuji Fujinon XF 23mm F1.4 R

Phoenix

All-Pro
Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Just an update, the Fujinon XF 23mm F1.4 R has officially been announced

View attachment 2432

I saw this from Fujirumors today, and I'm starting to feel my wallet panic.

Attachments

• Fuji.PNG
    Fuji.PNG
    43.5 KB · Views: 35,273
That's at least $150 less that I expected it to be. I have to admit that this is tempting for me as I find that I don't use the OVF all that much on my X100S. This lens on an X-E1 (despite that I didn't initially get on with the EVF) could be a winner seeing as its a full stop faster than the X100S (and of course assuming it performs similarly to the Fuji 35mm which is quite sharp wide open). Still nowhere near as portable as an X100S though.

Thanks i was looking for pricing but the lense construction i was not expecting....so my question is, "how does it compare against the X-100s's lense?"

X-100s = 6 groups 8 lenses (1 aspherical glass moulded lens included)
XF 23 1.4 = 1 lens group consisting of 3 cemented lens elements and 1 aspheric lens element

or is there more to the spec sheet of the XF 23 not posted?

price isn't a factor for me (it's within the budget) but i'll be waiting on real world sample posts first...but then again i jumped in for the XF 14 without seeing samples and i'm quite happy with it :p

I have had this lens on my radar a long while, and despite having the X100S already I have a feeling this will end up in my bag eventually. I really like the extra stop for shallow DoF and low light, and if it renders anything like the Fuji 35mm I suspect I'm going to love this lens.

I have had this lens on my radar a long while, and despite having the X100S already I have a feeling this will end up in my bag eventually. I really like the extra stop for shallow DoF and low light, and if it renders anything like the Fuji 35mm I suspect I'm going to love this lens.

Me too, but a release date that got pushed back and my realization that the X-E1 couldn't replace my 5DII led to me abandoning the thought of it in favor of the X100S. I'll be tempted again once its released and the images from it start showing up, but I wonder how much different the shallow DOF will be. I love the look of a 35mm f1.4 on a full frame sensor and while the FOV will be the same, this is a much wider FL at that aperture so I don't think the DOF will be that comparable. If its sharp wide open though, that extra stop over the X100S would be nice.

Me too, but a release date that got pushed back and my realization that the X-E1 couldn't replace my 5DII led to me abandoning the thought of it in favor of the X100S. I'll be tempted again once its released and the images from it start showing up, but I wonder how much different the shallow DOF will be. I love the look of a 35mm f1.4 on full frame sensor and while the FOV will be the same, this is a much wider FL at that aperture so I don't think the DOF will be that comparable. If its sharp wide open though, that extra stop over the X100S would be nice.

Thinking of it in FF terms it's a noticeable difference in DoF, at least to me. Having shot with the 35mm f/2 on the RX1 compared to the 23mm f/2 on the X100S it's appreciated the times I'm trying to blow out the background.

That, and I'm hoping it renders like the 35mm f/1.4 does wide open :D

Thinking of it in FF terms it's a noticeable difference in DoF, at least to me. Having shot with the 35mm f/2 on the RX1 compared to the 23mm f/2 on the X100S it's appreciated the times I'm trying to blow out the background.

That, and I'm hoping it renders like the 35mm f/1.4 does wide open :D

I can see how it would be noticeable over the X100S, but its still quite a bit less shallow, especially at more than several meters, that a 35 f1.4 on full frame, which I what I really like the look of. I'll have to check out what people do with it once released and maybe it will be worth picking up, along with a used X-E1. As much as I say I like the 35mm f1.4 on a full frame camera, I dislike the idea of toting it around for anything other than dedicated photo shoots (which for me are relatively few and far between).

Can't wait to hear back on your thoughts.

Personally, I wonder about the focusing mechanism. The 60/2.4 and 35/1.4 are excellent lenses except they are at an inherent disadvantage AF-wise due to their moving front element. Hope this (and the 56/1.2 as well) would be similar to the 14/2.8. If so, and assuming IQ is nothing but stellar, I might sell off my 35/1.4 and 60/2.4 in favor of faster AF.

Back