Fuji Fujinon XF 23mm F1.4 R

A tiny one it is not...

9677257355_6efc02ce68_c.jpg

maybe if you put some hunter's camo wrap it will blend in *lol*

my local store has my phone # :p

Thanks Rico - is it about the same size as the 14mm?

I didn't realize this would have the MF clutch-ring, now that makes it even more interesting to me. Admittedly I don't MF all that often but it's a nice feature to have and with focus peaking I am more inclined to use it more frequently.

I'm sure it would look more balanced on an X-Pro1, but yeah, that's definitely quite a bit larger than the 35mm. The X100S will still win for portability despite whatever advantages the 23mm f1.4 ends up offering

Seems like the most obvious cross system comparison would be to the Sony Zeiss E Mount 24mm f1.8, which is a little smaller but similarly (right now on special) priced. However, for the same speed, I wonder how it will compare to the Sigma 35mm F1.4 available on several mirrored system which is bigger but comparably priced also.

Seems like the most obvious cross system comparison would be to the Sony Zeiss E Mount 24mm f1.8, which is a little smaller but similarly (right now on special) priced. However, for the same speed, I wonder how it will compare to the Sigma 35mm F1.4 available on several mirrored system which is bigger but comparably priced also.

I know that people will compare them, but I don't necessarily think its a fair one seeing as to compare FOVs that Sigma has to be on a FF body and as such will have a significant advantage in the shallow DOF department. Add into that the huge difference in size between the two lenses/systems and I don't know that someone is going to consider getting a 23mm f1.4 over the Sigma just as a matter of IQ. I would assume that the Fuji AF will be noticeably slower than the Sigma, but more accurate though.

I'm surprised they already got a price on it before it even goes on sale or gets shipped internationally. But I know how it feels, when I bought my NEX-7 (body only) it was $1400 USD and $1800 AUD locally, when I bought my X-Pro 1 + 35mm 1.4 it was $1600 USD internationally and $1700 AUD body only locally and the reason I seem to get for the steep price is "because we can", and as much as I want to support a brick and mortar shop, I really cannot justify spending that much extra specially nowadays where money doesn't really come easy. I usually buy my items online, wait an extra week or so and save myself a couple of hundred bucks.

Who knows, they'll probably adjust their pricing when the lens goes on sale in stores and online, Michaels here in Melbourne had the Zeiss 1.8 E-mount for an obscene amount on pre-order when it was announced, but quickly changed the price when the items were shipped and became widely available.

I did contemplate dropping the X-Pro 1 and getting the X100s intead, but my rationale for this is "why did I get the X-Pro 1 to start with when I could have just easily got the original X100?" which up to now delivers really great images? simple fact is I can change lenses. If I was convinced that I will never shoot another focal length then I would probably would have went for the X100 or X100s instead.

It's bigger than the 14mm.

Now I'm really curious to know how it compares - I don't have the X-M1 and I've only see it in person once so it's hard to gauge just how big it is from the pic.

I'm sure you've got a million things to do for the review Rico, but if you can get a chance to compare it in size to the 14mm and/or 35mm or even the 18-55 that'd be awesome (y)

Here is a link to the official Fuji page with some sample images.

FUJINON LENS XF23mmF1.4 R | Sample Images | Fujifilm Global

I just got around to taking a look at the examples... always hard to tell much for sure by the manufacturer's sample photos but my impression is the wide open images look fairly soft while stopped down it looks pretty razor sharp (in the f/5 and f/8 images). Would really like to see some environmental portraits wide open to compare with the Fuji 35mm.

EDIT: Actually, looking at some of the nighttime f/1.4 images I'm less sure what's going on there. I'm assuming these were shot as JPG too; the noise reduction is making it harder to judge.

I had some fun with the lens today, also shot a few portraits. I'll try to get some night shots tomorrow. Handling is just like the 14mm, so nothing to complain about. Weight is pretty much exactly like the 18-55 zoom.

Sizes? Here you go:

9690493354_f3c2724eb7_b.jpg

Thanks as well for that size comparison, Rico. Can you kindly comment on AF snappiness (since it doesn't have a moving front element) compared to the 35/1.4? Assuming the IQ is as stellar or better, I'll be putting up my 35/1.4 for sale. ;)

Back