Fuji Showcase Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R

The more I use this lens, the more it is becoming - and has become - one of my favorite lenses, ever.
This handful of shots, of ancient, rusting, non-operable Volkswagen 'Bugs', is a good illustration of why.

XPro3_May16_22_VW_bug_Medford,OR.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am a fan of the click-stopped and extremely useful (to me) aperture ring.

XPro3_May16_22_red_VW_Medford,OR.jpg

It's a great lens for both getting in a little closer to the subject - but also staying far enough away to include the surroundings.

XPro3_May16_22_faded_VW_Medford.jpg

All of these were taken using the 'Classic Neg' in-camera film simulation. And very lightly tweaked to adjust exposure and contrast.

XPro3_May16_22_faded_VW_Medford(rear).jpg

With jpegs this good, my obsessive attempts to adjust the colours of RAW digital negatives to my random, ever-changing, and unpredictable tastes, have mercifully become a thing of the past.

I love this lens.

Cross-posted in the "Show Remarkable Car(s)" thread.

Two SOOC (Straight-Out-Of-Camera) jpegs, using the 'Classic Neg' film simulation, are yet more examples of why I really like this lens.
This first shows its ability to isolate a foreground subject---

XPro3_May27_closed_tire_store.jpg

And the second, to create a sense of what I can only call 'being there' (an admittedly vague photographic concept but one which has always appealed to me nonetheless)--

XPro3_May27_closed_tire_store_garden.jpg

I actually really dislike the ~50mm (equiv.) focal length, but the more I see of this lens and the more I've read about it, the more I am tempted trying one out at some point. It's way smaller and more compact than the new 33mm f1.4, used prices on MPB start at around €434 for "good" copies and my favourite camera store has new units for €539. Might be an alternative to the Nokton 23mm f1.2 which I had in mind later this year.:unsure:

I actually really dislike the ~50mm (equiv.) focal length, but the more I see of this lens and the more I've read about it, the more I am tempted trying one out at some point. It's way smaller and more compact than the new 33mm f1.4, used prices on MPB start at around €434 for "good" copies and my favourite camera store has new units for €539. Might be an alternative to the Nokton 23mm f1.2 which I had in mind later this year.:unsure:
Why would you buy a ~50mm (equiv.) lens if you hate the FOV?

One more shot from what has become my favourite 'normal' lens of not merely any semi-modern digital camera I've ever used, but all the way back to the fine Takumars and Pentaxes from my analog days. This lens - the XF 35mm f/1.4 - continually surprises me with what it can do... and how it renders colours and tones.

XPro3_Aug5_22_shoe_lamp.jpg

Back