Fuji Fuji's ISOless sensor

I know...but he wants to hand hold the shots where using the base ISO requires shutter speeds that are too long.
-----------
Edit- My mistake. He never mentioned hand holding.

Yes, I want to hand hold at a shutter speed that is ~3 stops under, then push in post, ending up with an equivilant ISo 1600 exposure. I'll try it tonight.

Do you know if this is this a Fuji-only sensor technology or does this show up in other cameras as well?

It's a Sony. And Sony is everywhere. Except Canon. They have sensors with old technology. Sad thing.
Samsung and Panasonic are also using their own sensors, I don't know if those are ISOless.
Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Leica and of course Sony often use Sony sensors.

Interesting... I shoot both Canon (5D2) and Fuji X trans. Both great for high ISO, but as a rule of thumb, I generally try to stay at 800 or below.

This thread gives me an explanation for my caution... 800 seems to be where the digital noise starts to get amplified either way.

... unless I misunderstood :confused:

The difference is that the ISOless sensor offers several stops extra DR (practically 2 or 3) through a selective ISO push in post. Can't really do this with a conventional sensor, as quality would suffer.

Plus, it's nice to expose in post. Just like a Lytro let's you pick the actual focus plane in post, the ISOless RAW can be exposed to taste in post. I like that, and it's also the most popular topic in my Fuji X Secrets workshops. People like to think out of the box and explore new ways.

Interesting... I shoot both Canon (5D2) and Fuji X trans. Both great for high ISO, but as a rule of thumb, I generally try to stay at 800 or below.

This thread gives me an explanation for my caution... 800 seems to be where the digital noise starts to get amplified either way.

... unless I misunderstood :confused:

Any ISO that's not the base ISO is digital gain or amplification. There exists some point below which in-camera gain works better than post processing software, and after which pp software does it better than in-camera. 800 may well be that point for the two cameras you mentioned. Rigorous testing would be required to confirm it, but if it's working for you there's no need to look further.

Hello to all of you this is my first post on this forum¡¡¡

This post is very interesting but I am completely lost after reading all the important things you comment here.

Thanks Rico for your work but your workshops -which I found about just yesterday - are quite far from me living in southern Spain¡¡¡ It would be great to assist to one of them and to listen all the important things you sure have to say about our Fuji XT-1.

In fact I bought myself one and I have started to bring it with me to my weddings but I really feel unsure when I use it in dark places like churches. I have read your info about Isoless advantages but I really do not get the point and I do not know how to use it. Could you please help on that. Which parameters would you recommend?? Should I expose for highlights or a mid tone???.

Thanks very much for any more info you can offer me.

Best regards

Daniel

P.D. My other camera is a Canon 6D which I like but I really like more the feeling of the XT1

Daniel, exposure tipps can be found in my book in the X-T1. Just click in the profile to get the second edition eBook. Use code XPERT40 for a 40% discount.

There's also an article in Fuji Love that illustrates how tone-mapping helps expanding the dynamc range: ISOless Photography With the Fujifilm X-Series

Spain isn't that far, I have delegates from Austria and Switzerland in almost every workshop here in Nuremberg, the farthest came from Australia.

In any case, enjoy your X-T1. The old Canon sensor is no match as far as DR is concerned, but that doesn't mean that you can't take great pictures with a Canon. After all, there are plenty of scenes that benefit from reducing the DR. It all depends on our photographic intentions.

Rico, you may consider editing the fujilove article about the compensation dial not working, as with firmware 4 it is working also with xt1 "With the exception of the X30 and X100T, the exposure compensation dial isn’t effective in this configuration"

Thanks for the explanation if the dr function. I understood it this time ☺

Back