Fuji Full-Frame of Full-Size Sensor Cameras From Fuji?

I think they are committed to apsc for their normal x bodies. However, there were two rumors awhile back that this could be about..
- There was a rumor about 2-3 months back about Fuji doing a gf670 like camera using the Sony 50mp sensor.
- a ff version of a x100 --> known as x200

Of the two, i am actually hoping it is the first. If Fuji comes into the digital medium format market, with their heritage in their mf rf film cameras.. This will be very interesting.

Gary

Hmmm....
Seems to be "okay" if Sony, Fuji or Olympus makes Full Frame cameras....

But if it's Canon or Nikon, then it's "they're living in the past".....

I don't recall seeing anyone criticize CaNikon for using FF sensors? Clinging on to DSLRs instead of (also) investing inmirrorless, yes, I've read that countless times, but sensor size?

I'll believe a Fuji full frame when I see it. And even then I may be skeptical...

Anyone who thinks full frame is somehow living in the past hasn't used one of the modern full frame sensors. DSLRs will likely be in the past soon enough, but not full frame...

-Ray

Why is it "clinging"....?

just relaying what others write. I have no issue with DSLRs, although I don't think I'll ever own one and think many current users would be equally well served by a mirrorless camera. I suppose that in the long run DSLR's will be a niche, but I think that's still at least a decade off, simply by virtue of millions of customers having already invested in them.

just relaying what others write. I have no issue with DSLRs, although I don't think I'll ever own one and think many current users would be equally well served by a mirrorless camera. I suppose that in the long run DSLR's will be a niche, but I think that's still at least a decade off, simply by virtue of millions of customers having already invested in them.

Well...
Would "you" (not you directly but you get my point) rather have Canon & Nikon drop all their mirrored products, put all their efforts into mirrorless, & subsequently bury Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, & Fuji?

I can't deny being ever so slightly anti-CaNikon ;) but if either of them would make better products than the others, and for a good price, I'd have no qualms buying from them. I do think a duopoly is more likely to be bad for price and innovation than the "free for all" situation in the mirrorless market right now.

The biggest problem for mirrorless is that Canikon are deeply entrenched in the pro scene with pro support and the AF tech. and the f2.8 pro lenses are a god send for many since the bokeh is effectively like a Fujifilm/M43 prime throughout the focal length. I doubt Fujifilm are going to make a 16-47mm F1.9 for it would be too big and heavy for their cameras.

they got speed AND low light performance while Fujifilm have the low light and M43 have the speed.

They don't need FF sensors, they just need to improve the rest of their tech, get those pro lenses out and have pro support, the rumoured 24mp X-PRO2 would help those who want to print larger or need the resolving power.

The biggest problem for mirrorless is that Canikon are deeply entrenched in the pro scene with pro support and the AF tech. and the f2.8 pro lenses are a god send for many since the bokeh is effectively like a Fujifilm/M43 prime throughout the focal length. I doubt Fujifilm are going to make a 16-47mm F1.9 for it would be too big and heavy for their cameras.

they got speed AND low light performance while Fujifilm have the low light and M43 have the speed.

They don't need FF sensors, they just need to improve the rest of their tech, get those pro lenses out and have pro support, the rumoured 24mp X-PRO2 would help those who want to print larger or need the resolving power.

But even though Fuji (actually APS generally - nothing particularly notable about Fuji) has good low light performance and M43 have good speed, neither is up to the standard of full frame DSLRs in those areas. APS is pretty good in low light, phenominal by the standards of just a few years ago. But full frame is notably better - the A7 and A7S on the mirrorless side and various Nikons and (I think, but I'm less familair with) Canons. And the dynamic range (and associated processing latitude) of the current full frame sensors in the A7, A7R, D610, D810, etc is something you have to work with to believe. Again, APS is good but full frame is in a different league. And for speed, mirrorless has burst rates faster than DSLRs (since they don't have the physical impediment of the mirror) but they still can't track AF at those speeds anywhere near as well. They're getting closer - the GH4 seems to be on the right track - and they'll certainly get there and surpass DSLRs, but they're not there yet. To do really high end tracking AF at 11 fps, you need a top of the line and enormously expensive (and large) D4, D4s, or the comparable Canon, but you can track at 5-6 fps in the D610, the Df, 6D, etc... As well as in some of the better APS DSLRs.

Canon and Nikon will jump into mirrorless when they see a way to make more money at it than they lose from it. Once mirrorless cuts into their APS DSLR sales enough that they figure they're not really gonna cannibalize their own stuff much further, I suspect they'll jump in big time. I suspect that's not too many years off. IF Sony or someone else makes serious progress with full frame mirrorless, the same may happen with full frame, but I suspect that's a good bit further off before mirrorless can get close to the performance of pro-level DSLRs. Once there's a good full frame mirrorless system with a decent compliment of native lenses, I'll likely move back to mirrorless IF THE OVERALL SYSTEM IS NOTABLY SMALLER - I have my doubts about how small the lenses will be even if the bodies get smaller and smaller. I don't really care much at all about burst rates and tracking AF personally. But for a pro level shooter who cares about all aspects of current DSLR performance, I think it'll be a while before mirrorless can compete with the highest end Canikons...

Mirrorless is in it's techological infancy and has a huge margin for improvement where DSLRs are pretty mature and are only likely to improve incrementally, sensors aside. No question mirrorless will overtake DSLRs in pretty much all performance measures in time, but I don't think it's gonna be all that fast because DSLRs today work sooooo well and have such an incredible range of available lenses. It's gonna take a while before mirrorless catches up in ALL of those areas...

-Ray

Can't see an advantage in the image processing of an A7 sensor versus a Fuji X-E2, so I'll need no FF-Sensor of them. And I would have to buy a lot of new lenses, if they would present it :)

An example of the dynamic and recoverable capabilities of the "restricted" APS-C

before:

scp_DSCF0107.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

after processing

11738017934_96f24ec393_b.jpg

Wouldn't be sure if my A7 would give a similar result

Can't see an advantage in the image processing of an A7 sensor versus a Fuji X-E2, so I'll need no FF-Sensor of them. And I would have to buy a lot of new lenses, if they would present it :)
If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I've spent a LOT of time with various Fuji models, with the RX1, with the D610, and Df. There's a significant difference. I haven't shot with the D810 or Sony A7R or experienced that 36mp sensor, but it's very very similar to the 24mp sensor in the D610, RX1, and A7 in everything except resolution. The Df is sort of a low light miracle but doesn't have as much DR at low ISO. Whether the differences matter is obviously an individual call, but they're real...

-Ray

Back