Fuji Full-Res Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 Sample Photos

Amin

Hall of Famer
I've uploaded a set of full-res sample images from the Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 lens (Fuji X-Mount) at a variety of apertures with matched comparison images taken with the Fuji 35mm f/1.4 X R lens. There are a handful of Sigma DP2 Merrill comparison photos in the mix for good measure since that camera is my current standard of excellence for "normal" lenses.

The Zeiss and Fuji lenses were shot on a Fuji X-E1 body and processed from RAW in Lightroom 5.0. The Sigma files were processed in Sigma Photo Pro 5.5, and I tried to adjust the Sigma files to approximate the color of the Fuji ones.

Click here or click on the image below to see all the full res JPEGs on Flickr. Please do not re-post or reproduce any of these images on other sites without linking back to this post at FujiXspot as the source.

9111021631_f92ff1b64c_z.jpg

All of the RAW files for the JPEG comparison linked above can be downloaded from here: Dropbox - Error

Please share your thoughts about the samples!

First off thanks again for taking the time and effort to do these types of tests, I for one greatly appreciate it.

I am a fan of the Zeiss lenses for Canon because they are so solidly built and produce a signature look out of the camera which I can't reproduce with other lenses and post processing. The test above really only show that the Zeiss is a tad wider and the OOF areas have a different pattern. The image difference is so slight it would be hard to justify the additional cost over the Fuji 35.

But from what I have read, Zeiss was filling a gap in the NEX lineup with these lenses and adapting the production to make X mounts was an easy step to take so they went for it. Good on them for doing it, I'm just not sure they will sell well.

What do you think, if you had the 35 and 32 in your hand which would you pick?

What do you think, if you had the 35 and 32 in your hand which would you pick?

I'm really not sure.

In favor of the Fuji:
-2/3 stop faster
-Slightly more reliable autofocus
-Slightly smaller and lighter (especially if you include hoods)
-Better center sharpness

In favor of the Zeiss:
-Better flare resistance
-Slightly better build quality

Subjectives:
-I prefer the slightly wider angle of view of the Zeiss
-I prefer the out of focus rendering of the Zeiss

If cost were no issue, I'd probably Touit. However, I already own the Fuji and doubt I'll be selling it to get the Zeiss.

Here are a couple examples, the first at f/1.8 and the second at f/2, where the less smooth bokeh of the Zeiss (on the left in each case) makes for a more interesting "look" that I overall prefer.

9123810082_6011e5b762_o.png

9121585977_f2bc20f40f_o.png

I don't subscribe to the idea that bokeh should be as little distracting as possible.

Wow...I can't believe anyone would choose the Zeiss bokeh over the Fuji in this case. I understand the desire for bokeh with 'character' in many instances, but here, the Zeiss bokeh is just plain ugly to my eye. I LOVE the bokeh from the Fuji lenses...really excellent in my opinion...the Zeiss bokeh is just nervous and harsh. Ugh. Not all lenses have to be ultra-smooth (though I do tend to prefer it), but here it's just not good.

Now, the Zeiss 85/2.8 Sonnar? That has the serious Zeiss punch along with non-perfect, but very pleasing bokeh (to my eye)...the Zeiss normals have never had good bokeh, IMO. I had the C/Y 50/1.7 Planar, which was just a brilliant lens in regards to color, contrast and sharpness, but the bokeh was quite nervous on that lens as well. The Touit reminds me of that lens a fair bit.

Bokeh is like so many other smooth vs harsh situations. Most like a glassy smooth fountain pen nib, while others like a bit of tooth. Many like a car with a silky smooth ride, while others like to feel the grit of the road. Some people like clean audio, while others like the crunch of Lo-Fi samples and static from old LPs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using FujiXspot mobile app

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Amin.
M wallet is happy that I do prefer the softer bokeh.. Indeed, I prefer the drive of the bmw 530 instead of the M5. ;-)

The two Zeiss Touit lenses are on sale. Sale goes through 01/31/2014.

12/2.8 -- $1250 discounted to $999
32/1.8 -- $900 discounted to $720

So prices are a bit more competitive with their Fuji counterparts, notwithstanding the current sale on Fuji lenses if purchased with a XM1, XE1 or XPro1 (which expires on 10/26/2013).

Back