Infrared Gear Full Spectrum DP1x

GaryR

Regular
A couple shots from a FS-modified DP1x at a local outdoor car display. Typical red foliage, and color shifts on vehicles and people SOOC, with no filter.
_SDI2521.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_SDI2531.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Are you using a filter to block green?

When I shoot "full-spectrum"- the color channels respond in in visible and IR. SO- the Green channel picks up foliage, which mixes with the IR response. Does not produce red. I use a Magenta filter to block Green.

Are you using a filter to block green?

When I shoot "full-spectrum"- the color channels respond in in visible and IR. SO- the Green channel picks up foliage, which mixes with the IR response. Does not produce red. I use a Magenta filter to block Green.
No filter is required with the Foveon sensor, because IR is primarily recorded in the red channel. Since trees, foliage and most clothing react to IR, the Foveon sensor records them as red (in FS mode). With a 720nm filter, I get a very overloaded all-red image, which converts to monochrome IR. The foveon sensor is far more selective than a Bayer sensor.

Now I really want one.
Like a never ending roll of Infrared Ektachrome.
Exactly ! Unlike the interchangeable lens Sigma models, you'll have to do a DIY mod, to remove the internal hot mirror, or send it away (that's what I did). Also the "DP" Merrill version produces amazing resolution, but is incredibly difficult to register a CWB. Again, no filter is needed, but CWB is essential for setting up the camera. If you can live with 14MP (actually 4.6MP) the regular DP models will CWB perfectly.

So removing the Filter: I did this long ago on a Nikon Coolpix 950 myself. Found online instructions, and replaced the filter with clear glass to keep the optical path the same. The glass was available at surplus shack.

Do you have instructions for converting the camera? I see Kolari will convert a Sigma for $200.

So removing the Filter: I did this long ago on a Nikon Coolpix 950 myself. Found online instructions, and replaced the filter with clear glass to keep the optical path the same. The glass was available at surplus shack.

Do you have instructions for converting the camera? I see Kolari will convert a Sigma for $200.
It's a fairly easy conversion, because you only have to remove the hot mirror, then reassemble. Clear glass is not needed in the optical path. Get the DP1M instructions on DPreview before it shuts down. DP1 instructions are also available on flickr.

Back