Film Fun with film cameras (Image thread)

….nothing like film for B&W period!

This is where I'm at. And I don't even fully understand why, which is frustrating. But when I see TMax in particular, even before I tweak anything in post, I LIKE it more than I like other black and white shots. Even ektar is more flexible for posting into b&w, with more tonal range and the possibility of pulling different color channels out. But that TMax just comes out looking "correct" for my brain. I still get giddy when I've decided to shoot a roll of it.

Larry, Larry, Larry…mate I said it elsewhere but it bears repeating here…

That SP of yours is shaping up real nice mate….as is your return to TMY2. Love the tonal range….you even got a digital shooter 'thinkin' (y)….nothing like film for B&W period!

Thanks, Mark. I have a roll of Tmax 100 ready to develop today, shot in the local derelict cemetary I've been documenting for a while. It will be interesting to see how it compares with the 400; it's been ages since I've shot either. If it doesnt' hold up, I'll need to either find or purchase another good 49mm neutral density filter. The only problem with the 400 is that in the sunny Southwestern U.S. the sun is usually very strong, and with faster film and a maximum 1/500 shutter speed, using wide apertures for DOF control can be a challenge. That is less of a problem with HP5, which I rate at 160. Tmax seems right at the box speed.

I love the little SP. The 7 element G. Zuiko lens is a real contender, And as I said elsewhere, the meter is accurate, and the readout in EV is a no-nonsense approach that simplifies things. The Merrill has sat idle since I received the SP, though I know some of that is the thrill of a new toy. Still, I can see this camera becoming what I grab by default on the way out of the house. It's that good, and that enjoyable to use. The two cameras (Sp and DP2 Merril) are very similar in size.

I should add that I still have to evaluate the Tmax in the darkroom, which is where I did not get along with it before. I admit it scans very well indeed, but I need to know how it will print.

This is where I'm at. And I don't even fully understand why, which is frustrating. But when I see TMax in particular, even before I tweak anything in post, I LIKE it more than I like other black and white shots. Even ektar is more flexible for posting into b&w, with more tonal range and the possibility of pulling different color channels out. But that TMax just comes out looking "correct" for my brain. I still get giddy when I've decided to shoot a roll of it.

Hi Kyle: I just want to make sure you and everyone else understands that my reaction to Tmax 100 is just that -- my reaction. The result are OK, but I find it really finicky, and since I can get what I want from acros 100 with a lot less darkroom gymnastics, that is how I'll go. I speak only for myself and realize that for many others the film is the answer to their prayers, so to speak. The 400 was easier to deal with for me, and I found it less susceptible to blocked highlights.

All of this applies to scanning the films. I'll put my past negative darkroom experience of them aside and give some wet prints a shot. If the TMY works as well in the darkroom as it scans, it will become my fast black and white film. I liked the scan results.

In the darkroom, I always thought the T-grain technology went too quickly to blocked highlights. The price for the fine grain is a very tight silver pattern that can pass light with difficulty in higher zones. At least that was my experience ages ago. Mark's results with TMY have me taking a second look, and though my evaluation of the films won't be complete until I get my supplies next week and can get into the darkroom, my initial response, based on scans, is that the 400 may be very useful to me, with a beautiful tonal scale. I'm less sanquine about the100, which I exposed and developed according to Kodak's recommendations. My scanner, at least, does not penetrate bright highlights that should still be holding detail. Presumably lowering development times will help, but I am already agitating on the minute - my standard and successful procedure for decades) rather than every 30 seconds. The negative looks great, but areas without, really, all that much density, don't allow the light from the scanner through, resulting in base white highlights, which I find ugly unless for a small specular detail.

So we'll see. Right now I have acros ordered for my 100. I already know how to work with it, and know it gives me what i want. Given my previous experiences with tmax, I'm unwilling to spend a lot of time lab testing. The 400, though, is so far a revelation, so it's not a matter of an old dog being unwilling to learn new tricks, just of an old dog being unwilling to spend a lot of time trying to learn a trick he didn't get the first time.

Well I was surprised at how much I liked it. I may have just lumped the two together in the old days. I'm looking forward to getting the Xtol in the order on its way from B&H, so I can get the "Mark" tonal scale out of the 400. What I want from a film is a long, gradually unfolding gray-scale, with good highlight detail retention and -- of course -- a nice dmax. The Xtol looks like it may allow me to shoot HP5 at its rated speed too, So lots coming up that this old dog hasn't tried but is looking forward to.

On another note: I LOVE MY OLYMPUS 35 SP! It is really a sweet camera. The only problem is that it has me wanting an OM-4, it's SLR spotmeter grandchild.

Well I was surprised at how much I liked it. I may have just lumped the two together in the old days. I'm looking forward to getting the Xtol in the order on its way from B&H, so I can get the "Mark" tonal scale out of the 400. What I want from a film is a long, gradually unfolding gray-scale, with good highlight detail retention and -- of course -- a nice dmax. The Xtol looks like it may allow me to shoot HP5 at its rated speed too, So lots coming up that this old dog hasn't tried but is looking forward to.
Oh jeez what have I created :doh:
:laugh1:
I really do hope you like the combo Larry. I mean I do BUT….and here's the big BUT…I've not tried wet printing this combination. Your reply a little while back has really got me thinking. Yes TMY2/Xtol (or Perceptol) gives me the results I like so much on screen, but can I say the same for the ultimate and very real result…on paper. :hmmm: I like how you think mate…especially when it gets my old grey matter going too.

On another note: I LOVE MY OLYMPUS 35 SP! It is really a sweet camera. The only problem is that it has me wanting an OM-4, it's SLR spotmeter grandchild.
Please no, nO NOOOOOO! I do not need the temptation. I really don't.

I just pulled the trigger on an accessory 50mm 1:1 finder for my IIIf - the SBOOI, so can't wait for that to make it's way from Boston to me here in Australia. So that should have been the end of a very happy tale….but no! This weekend I'm film testing a Leica CL and Summicron-C 40/2 for a friend who recently received it in a trade. Of course he is prepared to sell it to me if I want :doh:

I'll post my results and impressions with the CL on here in a few hours. To make things a little more challenging though I loaded the CL up with Foma100 and I intend developing it in Rodinal - all box speed….as the stand development thing isn't working for me like it says on the internets - I'm hoping this might curb the temptation….I hope!!! :blush:

"Oh jeez what have I created?"

Well, you've steered me to try Xtol, which a never gave a thought to (I can get pretty set in my ways), and have moved me to try tmy again, for which I have high hopes. I still love the HP5 and HC110 combination for medium and large format, but for 35mm HC110 can be awfully grainy./

You know you're going to buy that CL and the 40 f2 -- from everything I've heard of it (and to encourage your waywardness) a truly sterling optic. It's true new toys won't make any of us a better photographer, but they are damned fun to play with, and occasionally once fits your vision so naturally that it moves things forward.

And I'll end with a question. Mark, how do you like the Foma?

My modest collection of working film cameras. I never set out to have a "collection", and I buy and well a lot in order to try things out. But most of these are keepers -- I think. Anyway, I don't buy collectibles, only working shooters to use.

i-28GWPD8-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I got as far as rolling out the seamless on the kitchen table, but not to setting up lights. The little mini flash that came with the E-M5 did the job along with the 12-50mm.
Very nice collection.
I don't remember if I have posted this here or not, but this is an old photo of some of mine. Some I still have, and others I do not.
standard.jpg

One thing I did note in your photo were the little Olympus XA's. I loved mine.
standard.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Impressive!
Yes, the XA series is pretty wonderful. I have two of the original XA and and XA1, which, though everyone says it's not worth getting, I picked up for $3.00. If you literally do not want to do anything but point and shoot and still get some pretty nice results, it is not a bad camera at all, though the others clearly have more going for them. I do plan on getting an XA2 sometimes -- and who knows? maybe a three and -- four if I can find one I can afford.

Impressive!
Yes, the XA series is pretty wonderful. I have two of the original XA and and XA1, which, though everyone says it's not worth getting, I picked up for $3.00. If you literally do not want to do anything but point and shoot and still get some pretty nice results, it is not a bad camera at all, though the others clearly have more going for them. I do plan on getting an XA2 sometimes -- and who knows? maybe a three and -- four if I can find one I can afford.
Thank you! :)
One thing that surprised me about the XA2 is how well it did in low light. I don't know if I even have the prints and negs from it anymore, but I have shot candids at a meeting once using TMAX 400 I think it was, and the images came out quite well. I was impressed with it.

Oh some sweet sweet stuff here….
Thank you.
stillshunter said:
What's the silver compact middle of the shot - directly behind the XA A11 flash and immediately in front of the first (from left) Canon SLR? Is it a Silvi…on an APS camera like an ELPH?
I just looked for the camera and couldn't find it. Don't know if I even still have it because it is an APS camera and I had no use for it. Bought it on a whim.
It is a Canon, but don't remember the model. IXL maybe? I think I got rid of it because my little Olympus XA's outclassed it by far. I'll keep looking though, maybe I'll find it in a box somewhere.

Thank you.

I just looked for the camera and couldn't find it. Don't know if I even still have it because it is an APS camera and I had no use for it. Bought it on a whim.
It is a Canon, but don't remember the model. IXL maybe? I think I got rid of it because my little Olympus XA's outclassed it by far. I'll keep looking though, maybe I'll find it in a box somewhere.
You're right mate. I wondered if it was an APS. If so, my curiosity ends there. I draw the line on film starting at 35mm….well I got to start somewhere and there's A LOT off to the right of that there line :blush:
…I have a real soft spot for 35mm compacts though.

Back