Film Fun with film cameras (Image thread)

You're right mate. I wondered if it was an APS. If so, my curiosity ends there. I draw the line on film starting at 35mm….well I got to start somewhere and there's A LOT off to the right of that there line :blush:
…I have a real soft spot for 35mm compacts though.
Yeah, that about sums it up. Especially since the little XA and XA2 were about the same size, but shot full frame 35mm. Even though it's been years since I have shot film, I can still put my hands on either one of those. The APS camera? Meh. ;)

Tested a Leica CL and Summicron-C 40mm f2 today - the shot below is with Fomapan 100 developed in Rodinal (1+50). I might have a another play with it tomorrow, but it certainly was no near the fun of the IIIf.

12381757984_db70eb0c54_c.jpg

is this where we met? by stillshunter, on Flickr

And do you still think you can pass it up? If it were me I'd buy it in a heartbeat, assuming I had the money, which is becoming a more rare occurrence with each passing day!

In Honor of The Olympics...

...this playground take on the interlocked circles symbol. I won't comment on the appropriateness (or not) -- see how non-committal I am, like a modern news reader --of the deformation of said symbol. Or did I?

The the Fuji GS645S in HC110, Dilution B

Fuji%20GS%2010-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And do you still think you can pass it up? If it were me I'd buy it in a heartbeat, assuming I had the money, which is becoming a more rare occurrence with each passing day!

Well I freely admit I was afraid, very afraid I'd not have the fortitude to bid farewell to the CL. But to be honest it felt very dinky compared to the IIIf. The 'proper' Leicas seem to just have the right heft and the CL just felt hollow. It weirded me out to reveal all that plastic in the guts when you loaded it. No, the CL is definitely going back. I reckon either:
a) the IIIf has spoiled me, and/or
b) I've gone and become a Leica snob.
… seriously though I expected better and was pretty disappointed with this 'cult classic'. Come to think of it there wasn't significant enough difference between the CL and some of the 70s classic rangefinders I've shot - and if there a difference is the jump between 70's RF and CL is far less a gap to traverse than that of CL to Leica M/LTM.

The only 'threat' to the IIIf right now - and that would be for my 'affections' not 'accommodations' as I plan to keep the Barnack - is an M3….or possibly an M4 - though since I'm going through my 50mm phase just now so the M3 has it's nose out front. But yeah, a Barnack and M3 or 4 would be a golden combination!…if one needed another 35mm film camera that is :blush:

heheh, I just posted a beauty in the buy/sell. Someone go get it!

Konica Hexar AF

attachment.php?attachmentid=8832.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=8836.jpg

heheh, I just posted a beauty in the buy/sell. Someone go get it!

Konica Hexar AF
There's a few film compacts I've always been curious about - many I've tried Ricoh GR1, Contax T3, Leica Minilux, Oly XA. But the Hexar and Contax T2 remain untried. I have a mate sending me a Hexar to play with sometime soon. So I might help, or hinder, this sale. ;)

That Konica is a beauty; fortunately the budget won't even let me think about it. Whew!

Gorgeous day here, shirtsleeve weather, albeit long sleeve shirt. Being bored, listless, and not caring to do anything, I forced myself out for a long walk with the Olympus 35 SP. Interesting, no matter how glum or "uninterested" I may think I am, I always see something that piques my interests when walking with a camera, usually ordinary things I've passed a zillion times that suddenly want to be photographed. Five more frames on the roll, so I'll probably run it tomorrow. These sorts of little epiphanies are why photography is so important to me, and even if I'm thinking photographically, or of photographic potential, noticing little things I'd otherwise overlook has been valuable in maintaining a sense of wonder at it all. I'm much to cynical and much too affected by the daily news cycle to do it on my own.

That Konica is a beauty; fortunately the budget won't even let me think about it. Whew!

Gorgeous day here, shirtsleeve weather, albeit long sleeve shirt. Being bored, listless, and not caring to do anything, a forced myself out for a long walk with the Olympus 35 SP. Interesting, no matter how glum or "uninterested" I may think I am, I always see something that piques my interests when walking with a camera, usually ordinary things I've passed a zillion times that suddenly want to be photographed. Five more frames on the roll, so I'll probably run it tomorrow. These sorts of little epiphanies are why photography is so important to me, and even if I'm thinking photographically, or of photographic potential, noticing little things I'd otherwise overlook has been valuable in maintaining a sense of wonder at it all. I'm much to cynical and much too affected by the daily news cycle to do it on my own.

Larry, mate, so refreshing to hear this. Thank you (y)

Balances out all the guff about the latest gadget released this month that mops the floor with this year's competition so far and shots brick walls at ISO 25600 betterer than ever. :dash2:

Certainly have. Two fs by the way - caffenol.

Works very well for most mainstream films. No solvent action, so very sharp and doesn't mask graininess.

One-shot, you have to make it up each time you want to develop. Some people moan about the smell.

But you can buy all the ingredients in a supermarket and a health food shop, so you never need to worry about running out. Though you still need fixer of course

There are plenty of variations, but the locus classicus can be found at Caffenol

in essence: 54g of washing soda (anhydrous) or 145g of decahydrate - it ought to tell you on the side of the packet, 16g of Ascorbic acid powder (that'll be Vitamin C) and 40g of the cheapest nastiest instant coffee granules you can find. Usual instructions: start with 750ml water, add the carbonate 'til fully dissolved, add the Ascorbic, dissolve til the bubbles go, add the coffee. Top up to 1000ml. You can scale the proportions to 300ml or 500ml for a single 135 or 120 film of course. Assuming a Paterson tank, I mean.

times start at about 12mins for medium speed fillums. You have to work it out yourself a bit because of the variations of coffee, acid, soda that everyone has. But no more than using any other developer.

there are recipe variations for ≥400ASA films to reduce fog. Basically they drop the carbonate a bit and add a little Potassium bromide.

NB It is used as a "one shot" developer - make it, develop film in it, dump it.

I stopped using it only because I found it a pain to make up every time (though you can short cut things a bit by keeping a stock solution of carbonate on hand) and it worked horribly with the film I was then using (Rollei Retro 400S).

Caffenol eh? My doctor says I drink too much of the beverage -- on principle; there are no medical indications that it is bothering me a bit. But maybe I'll let her know I've added coffee developer to the mix instead of cutting back consumption of it significantly. It all looks very environmentally friendly too - the developer, not my morning and afternoon brew.

On another note: I bit the bullet and got a hundred dollar "working" OM-4 tonight. It should be delivered by the end of the week. I've wanted one since they came out in the early eighties and were way beyond my financial reach. I'll play with this and if I really like it as much as I think I will, I'll get a 4T down the road, with less significant wear. Still this one did not look too bad in large online photos; the meter functions were tested for accuracy, new seals installed. All camera functions are guaranteed to work. There are rubs and a little brassing in the usual spots, but no dents that I could see. The outfit selling it has glowing feedback on ebay, so we'll see. Maybe I'll caffenol my first roll through -- or rather second, since the first will be a test with a film and development scheme I already know well.

And tomorrow my supplies come via UPS and I can do some printing.

Maybe. By early next week for sure. It's going to be in the 70's (Farenheit, about 22/23 C) this coming weekend, so I may be out in it shooting, especially as I have film arriving tomorrow with my paper and chemistry.

But I have a roll of FP4 hanging to dry right now -- from the 35 SP -- so I'll be getting some of that up, if it turns up anything worth putting up.

Back