Film Fun with film cameras (Image thread)

Well this is colour process & all sorts of weird shit being used, so gloves definitely in this case.

I wear 'em even when I'm doing ordinary blacknwhite, though, because otherwise my hands get really dry from all the wash water.

Larry. Do you have any color shots of the Lucky Boy. That place intrigues me photographically and gastronomically.

I do. I took some with the E-M5 a year ago or so and posted them -- I forget where. I'll hunt them up. I changed hosting sites, so a lot of my previous photos are gone now.

It's pretty interesting. The shakes are pretty decent -- ice cream and milk, the real thing.

Well "both" but that's a cop-out. So I guess I like the first better. It's the grey misty tones on the trees that increase as each chunk of trees is farther and farther away... it draws me in.

And as for shooting, I just had a 5-pack of Ektar arrive for the medium format Yashica, so I reckon I'll be out making film images again soon at some point. VERY interested to see a film I already know well magically swell to over 400% its "normal" size.

I like the first one better too; the lines and tones of the earthbound forground complement the "voice of God" sky very nicely. A bit of the sacred and profane.
But here are a couple for ages ago, the first is for Kyle, an example of a shot from my Yashicat Mat 124 G, when I had it, of a place called Tent Rocks, between Albuquerque and Santa Fe:
Tent%20Rocks%20neg%203%208x%20print%20copy-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The next two are the very first pictures I shot with my very first Hasselblad, an ancient 1000F from the early 1950's that had no mechanical coupling between the mounted lens and the body. You set your aperture, focused, and then stopped down. Beautiful lenses, and a very nice camera which, however, had trouble in the cold due to the lubrication used in it. Anyway, I got home with it, and shot these two under dim, kitchen light with the 80mm before that cabbage went into my roommate's cole-slaw. Taken about 30 years ago. I've always rather liked them.

Jeffrey%20Cabbage%20rescan%20copy-L.jpg

Jeffrey%20half%20cabbage%20copy-L.jpg

Larry, mate, I can see why you like these Hassy images. There's a real attraction to them, that I can't quite put my finger on.

Please can we not talk of a 124G, plaaaaese. If I have one temptation it's 120 and my biggest temptation there is a YashicaMat. :daz: Honesty the only thing that really stops in my tracks is my scanner. My little Epson only does 35mm…to move up means a new/another scanner. Hmmm…that crappy little scanner keeps me safe and in-check :blush:

Excellent pictures, Lawrence. Top shot has a nice diagonal flow to it, and wonderfully contrast between light and dark without blowing out either. Reminds me a great deal of a trip the wife, her sister and I took out west in around 2004. We went to Zion Nat'l Park, then hit Escalante for a 3 day hike down into the canyons. You drove over an hour into the sand, then *poof* there was a parking lot. Park, load up, get out a compass, and begin following printed directions. After another hour+, you could make out the tops of arches that were level with the ground you were standing on. A canyon opened up before you, and you hiked down into it. Amazing trip, camped two nights down there, had a gruelling climb out on Day 3, and a looooong soft sandy hike back out. Back then all I had was a Nikon Coolpix 4300, which was an oddly capable little crap box of a camera. I really wish I'd had a functioning film camera at that point. Some of the shots were still ok, but all I can think now is what more I would've done.

On the topic of the Yashica A, I loaded ektar into it last night. Kodak in their infinite wisdom seem to have decided that two sans-serif "1's" side-by-side would be a great decision for the first exposure position. They look just like two little guide lines, but part of your brain says "wait... those COULD be ones..." So i kept turning, and oh hi, there's a set of 2's. Shite. So I went up to the bathroom, killed the lights, pulled the curtain (was dark out), got in the shower, closed the shower curtain, opened it up, and rewound back to start. Then i started over and stopped at 1. Took a shot of the blue heeler dog we were dog-sitting, standing at the edge of the kitchen, trying to will me to give her a second dinner just by staring harder and harder at me.

Larry, mate, I can see why you like these Hassy images. There's a real attraction to them, that I can't quite put my finger on.

Please can we not talk of a 124G, plaaaaese. If I have one temptation it's 120 and my biggest temptation there is a YashicaMat. :daz: Honesty the only thing that really stops in my tracks is my scanner. My little Epson only does 35mm…to move up means a new/another scanner. Hmmm…that crappy little scanner keeps me safe and in-check :blush:

A new scanner or --- better yet --- a darkroom!

I've got a Yashica A and the lack of a scanner that does 120 is the reason I don't use it much. My Epson scanner only scans 35mm negs. I can still have film processed pretty cheaply, but having it scanned ramps up the cost unless I can do it myself.

A new scanner or --- better yet --- a darkroom!
Larry, I'm not one to usually admit defeat but….you got me there mate. Touché. Nice one :blush:

The refurbished Epson my buddy and I split was $150, so $75 each. That's nothing. Sucker scans anything.
Hmmm…the higher end Epson - let's say V700 - go for a pretty penny out my way - used start around $500. I wait patiently for that bargain that hits the market and just hope I'm watching when it does. Meanwhile, syndicating on photo assets sounds a great idea. Hmmm…now to find me one of these 'friend' things :16suspect1:

Back