Film Fun with film cameras (Image thread)

I love this trip down your memory lane, so please go on flooding :)

I think the UV light at those altitudes probably played a role in the blue colour cast, particularly in the first picture of the shepherd... or did you use a UV filter?

Who pays the Ferryman

Some more from my Himalayan trek of October/November 1979.

These were taken in the Kulu Valley, Himachel Pradesh (meaning "In the lap of the snows") in October 1979

River_crossing.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A ferryman using the traditional method to cross the Beas River, inflated buffalo skins

Rosie_crossing_river.jpg

Rosie Kerr, one of our group, 72 years young being transported across the Beas River, seemingly without a care in the world

Rosie_Kerr.jpg

Rosie relaxing on the verandah of "Urusvali" (a Sanskrit word meaning "Light of the Morning Star"), the former house of Nicholas Roerich, born St Petersburg, 1874, settled in the Kulu Valley late 1920's, an artist, mystic, philosopher, scientist, writer and traveler.

Rosie was the most amazing women, I could write several pages about her. If you want to know about repelling Mexican bandits whilst camping, Rosie could have told you. Once proposed to by one of the worlds richest men, one of the white Rajah's of Sarawak, I could go on, but I think you get the drift.

All scanned in from FP4 negatives, Leica M3.

Barrie

Barrie this is a great addition to an excellent series. I must say though that portrait of Rosie is one of the best I have seen. I love her look of contemplation and, in turn, your composition. Exquisite tones, but again what a striking portrait. Love to hear more about Rosie...especially if accompanied by photos :2thumbs:

I love this trip down your memory lane, so please go on flooding :)

I think the UV light at those altitudes probably played a role in the blue colour cast, particularly in the first picture of the shepherd... or did you use a UV filter?
Bart, sorry I meant to reply to this earlier. There I was going on about how good my memory was, well I can't remember whether I used a uv filter or not, so you've found me out :redface:. It was very rare for me to shoot colour. I seem to recall that some time later I read somewhere that Agfachrome CT18 was known to have colour cast issues.

Barrie

Dubai Creek

By way of a change from the Himalayas, here's some shots of the crew of a Dhow in Dubai Creek taken in the spring of 1977. There's still a connection with India as I'm pretty sure the crew of this Dhow are Indian.

Preparing_fish_Arab_dhow.jpg

Crew_Arab_Dhow.jpg

Mast_Arab_Dhow.jpg

I was working in Dubai for a time and this was my Friday morning activity, down to Dubai Creek, a happening place. There were many Dhows around still trading to India and east Africa under sail with all manner of cargoes.

Barrie

Back to the Himalayas

I hope you've got your breath back, we're off to the hills again. More from my Himalayan trek in October/November 1979, scanned in from FP4 negatives originally taken with a Leica M3

assistant_chef.jpg

Our assistant chef

Boy_at_temple.jpg

A boy at a temple in the hills, I think the priests son

boys_at_temple.jpg

I think these were brothers

goatherd_man_boy.jpg

Goatherds, presumably father and son

Barrie

Love the dhow shots, they show a very different subject but it's the same consistent quality of subject choice and composition - I particularly like the first and the third you posted. Can't have been an easy life either, on a wooden boat going back and forth over the Indian Ocean...

Wonderfully 70's style (or at least what I interpret as such) clothes worn by the assistent chef! Love the priest's son photo, the two brothers don't look too happy! Or maybe they're squinting against the light...

Bart,

Yes I think the young chef was copying western styles, flares having been all the rage at some time in the late 60's, early 70's. I have to say that rather passed me by, I've never been stylish in any way shape or form. Notice also how most of the Sherpas had large Seiko watches, that was also a sign of their relative wealth compared to their contemporaries. I'll give the two boys the benefit of the doubt and say they were squinting into the sun. It's also the sort of place where eye complaints are not uncommon.

Thanks for your comments and interest.

Barrie

From my first outing with my new-to-me Leica M6:

6786999154_8b559a2cc3_o.jpg

Catedral Dulce Nombre de Jesús by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

6933115753_c7bf7463cc_o.jpg

En el Paseo Gautier Benítez by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

6786998876_c72762f494_o.jpg

En Cafetal by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

6786998750_4becce4331_o.jpg

En Cafetal by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

6933115265_145be235d8_o.jpg

En la Plaza Palmer by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

Leica M6 TTL, 35mm 2.5 Color Skopar (all but 2nd) or 90mm 4.0 M Rokkor (2nd), Ilford XP2 Super.

Cheers,

Antonio

Thank you so much, Barrie. As a side note, these are my first scans with my recently purchased Plustek 7600i. So far, so good.

I'm very jealous Antonio, I dream of owning an M6 to share the lenses with my digital M.

Well, we're kind of in the same boat, Sam, since I dream of owning an M9 to go with my M6. At this point, I think your dream is much more attainable than mine...

Cheers,

Antonio

6790645356_2e4f08c3ee_b.jpg

Konica Auto S2 by norman j shearer2010, on Flickr

6790644884_66a0792df7_b.jpg

6790644352_fe75b9a929_b.jpg

6936760153_7a15088929_b.jpg

Completely new to scanning my own negatives so if you spot any glaring mistakes please feel free to point them out. Any tips on how best to keep dust off the negs and scanner bed? I seem to be spending ages in pp getting rid of dust!

These are fantastic and the scans look excellent! As to keeping dust off the negs, please let me know what you find out, as I also spend inordinate amounts of time spotting my scans...

Cheers,

Antonio

Back