Film Fun with film cameras (Image thread)

that is a really splendid image Antonio.

Now, I submit another "expired image" ... back in the bad old days, film processing companies would put envelopes through the door for you to send them your rolls of film for D&P ... send 'em off and 10 days later, a pack of rather dull snaps would arrive back with a "free" pack of cheap film; one of the major players in the UK was "TRUPRINT", and I found a roll of 24 ISO400 Truprint colour print film at the back of a drawer a few weeks ago ... I can't believe it was less than 10 years old at the very least ... anyway, I stuck it in the Bessa with the 28/1.9 Ultron on the front and finished it up ... got it back today .... grain and weird colour are the watchwords here!

Anyhow, the one image I liked was this one, which I've tried on various occasions with the E-P2 and all sorts of lenses, but this is actually the most successful in capturing "what I saw"

6871401800_4eb4a55d1e_b.jpg

TruPrint by _loupe, on Flickr

Paul,

Yours is a good looking image as well. I believe you have been extremely lucky with the condition of your expired film. When I got the Bessa late last year, I shot a couple of rolls of Fuji Superia 400 that I had left over from before going digital. They were purchased in 2005 but had been kept refrigerated (not frozen) the entire time. One roll was fine, but the other two had awful grain, which I would attribute to underexposure as a result of the film having lost sensitivity over time. Completely unusable. The fourth roll I used to practice loading the Leica when I bought it.

Cheers,

Antonio

Climate must make a difference too, PR is hotter and more humid than up here ... yes, I think I was lukcy with the Agfa film, but almost all the other frames with this "generic" film are terribly grainy and clearly pretty underexposed
I used to use expired colour print film a lot when I was a student in the late 70s and early 80s (for obvious reasons) and I enjoyed the occasional processing surprise ... but never this old!

More Ektar 100 shots

6873574484_2c266d2d7f_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

T quiero II by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

7019527261_9506b64095_o.jpg

Los pies de Cristo by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

7019527173_9d8f8a6039_o.jpg

Puerta by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

7019527013_611d5b43c3_o.jpg

Caleta de San Juan by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

Leica M6 TTL, 35mm 2.5 Color Skopar (1st) or 50mm 2.8 M Elmar (the rest), Kodak Ektar 100.

All shot in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Cheers,

Antonio

A few months ago my mom and step-dad came to visit. My mom brought me an old camera that she found in a drawer. It's a Canon AF 35-something-or-other. Being that I'm a bit of a camera collector and can never seem to say no to a 35mm point-and-shoot camera, I was definitely glad to have it. It's chunky and slow and a bit noisy, but lovable all the same.

These are a handful of images I shot with it around town and during a trip to Savannah, GA for New Years Eve. All shot on Kodak Portra. The scans are from a local minilab. Enjoy.

6810651968_1ab6e14d80_z.jpg
6956753753_2d19738869_z.jpg
6956759549_21ef9b1473_z.jpg

6956755503_f690f764f5_z.jpg
6956756495_f139ff4eb0_z.jpg

And still more Ektar 100 shots

6876589432_2a0f510e10_o.jpg

Garita by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

6876588964_cf5eb12631_o.jpg

Puerta II by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

7022691077_6f68de0c88_o.jpg

Caleta de San Juan by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

6876389186_84730e6624_o.jpg

JFK by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

Leica M6 TTL, 50mm 2.8 M Elmar (1st and last) or 35mm 2.5 Color Skopar (2nd and 3rd), Kodak Ektar 100. Old San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Cheers,

Antonio

"Evacuees" at Buckfastleigh

From the looks of these scans of some negatives I collected from a local processor at lunchtime, my previous home development efforts fell well short of what I used to achieve many years ago, for whatever reason.

A warm, sunny day (Wednesday 28th March) with high contrast lighting. All shot with a Bessa R and 35mm, f/2.5 lens, Ilford XP2 Super.

A group of school children were re-enacting being evacuees during WW2, presumably to support their lessons on 20th century history.

evacuee_children-1.jpg

Ready to board

evacuee_children-3.jpg

Examining a period ambulance from inside

evacuee_children-2.jpg

Photographic evidence of their day

Collett_Crew.jpg

Engine crew of the "evacuee" train

Barrie

nicer tonal range and contrast than on my XP2 so far Barrie - but what do you think? Are you more satisfied with this/these?
My XP2 stuff looks a bit more contrasty and grainy, but I've got a 7600i on it's way so we'll see if I can improve on that. I'm running the current roll at ISO200 after a bit of research into how others are using it.

Hi Paul,

I exposed those at iso 400. As you're well aware the light is extremely contrasty at the moment, but this film has handled the extreme contrast better than my digital efforts over the weekend just gone. My home development efforts with HP5 are well short of these, whether that is due to my water supply, either the hardness or the fact that it is totally unfiltered spring water I know not.
I went with the Bessa meter readings, although sometimes I made half stop changes, either to hold shadow detail or prevent highlights burning out.
I'll do one or two prints later and make some further judgments then, these low resolution web images probably don't do full justice to any camera.
I still need to refine my scanning technique, post processing is being done in Photoshop 7, so I'm keeping up the vintage approach :)
Do you know what your commercial scans are done at? I've used 300 dpi and 8 bit, mainly since Photoshop 7 can't do a great deal with 16 bit images. Also I'm doing some fine tuning at the scanning stage.

Barrie

according to the exif from the jpegs I get from the local, they are 72dpi. the image pixel dimensions are 1818x1228.

OK, well the scans are saved as tiffs at 300 dpi and perhaps 4000 x 3000 px, the downsized images in my post are 72 dpi with the longest dimension at 1024 px. I wouldn't know if it's better to downsize in Photoshop as I have done, or in whatever scanning software your processor uses. I presume the scans are also "auto" in some way shape or form which I imagine optimises quality, so hopefully you will improve results when you've taken delivery of your scanner.

Barrie

Paul,

I've just made a print of the footplate crew image from above (sadly can't do anymore, I knew inks were getting low and I thought I had it covered, but it turns out I've only got two of the three inks, my third one is the wrong colour :rolleyes:). I'm well pleased with the print. There was a digital image I made at the weekend of the same man (the one sitting and looking out of the cab) with the side of his face illuminated as above. The film image posted here has held highlight detail, for example you can see his white sideburns against his sunlight skin, in the digital image, not posted, the side of his face has just burnt out. When I can get my third ink I'll print a similar digital image taken last weekend and compare them. At the moment the film one looks the equal of any digitally derived ones I've made and certainly has a nice smoothness of tone. There's probably a touch more shadow detail in the print than in the downsized image above, in particular riveting detail in the angle iron across the cab roof.

I found it more challenging to use the film camera, I did more of the thinking for the camera, but that's not a complaint by any means.

Barrie

Barrie, what scanner are you using? Your scans look great, much better than the results I am getting with my Epson 4490.

Not that it is a good shot by any stretch, but Flickr included one of my photos on their blog post today. Last Saturday I participated in the Roll in a day project, in which everyone was to shoot a roll of film and then post all of their shots from the roll, even the duds. This is the shot that is on the blog page, taken on Ilford HP5+ with a Yashica Electro.

6870311128_802ae5a8ef_z.jpg

Roll in a day shot 6 - Tow Away by Arachide, on Flickr

Just remembered why I have not shot film in awhile, my first two rolls of Trix through my new Nikons are still at the lab for over a month, because I have been to busy to pick them up

Back