Fuji Fun with Film Simulation 'Recipes'

Taken with Luis Costa's recipe for Classic Negative which, according to him, is both punchier and warmer than the original.

EM5_April23_23_huevos_mañaneros.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Minor technical addendum: this was taken with my newly-acquired inexpensive manual focus TTArtisan 50mm f/0.95 lens, stopped down to f/2.8 for a tiny bit more depth-of-field.

This (I hope) is my final attempt at making an "everyday" Classic Neg recipe. ( WB: Auto 4/-6, H: +2.5, S: +2, Col: 0 )

Oops, EDITED to add CCfx: Off, CCfxB: Strong

COLN0100-Edit.jpg

COLN0103-Edit.jpg

COLN0097-Edit.jpg

COLN0104-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Justin Gould's P45, a Provia based recipe. All these have some very basic contrast and exposure tweaks...

COLN0198-Edit.jpg

COLN0208-Edit.jpg

COLN0334-Edit.jpg

COLN0369-Edit.jpg

COLN0278-Edit.jpg

This is Vladislav Sub's Verkhovyna Spring from the Fuji X Weekly Community Recipes. I've since taken the White Balance offset to R:2/B:-5 (from R:3/B:-5). It's a Provia based recipe that's looking promising... especially in golden hour.

COLN0726-Edit.jpg

COLN0716-Edit.jpg

COLN0717-Edit.jpg

COLN0756.jpg

This (I hope) is my final attempt at making an "everyday" Classic Neg recipe. ( WB: Auto 4/-6, H: +2.5, S: +2, Col: 0 )
Classic Negative seems to be quite polarizing, some people hate it, most people seem to love it - but it seems there isn't something inbetween. My own "everyday" Classic Neg recipes would be Superia Xtra 400 and maybe Nomadic Mood - but that one can be a bit more tricky than the Xtra 400. It's interesting to see you start experimenting with your very own everyday settings to cater a recipe more for your needs.

Since you own an X-T5, what's your opinion about the new Nostalgic Negative simulation as a base line for recipes - it seems to be a bit more warmer and gentle compared to Classic Neg, but so far I haven't really seen much about it.

Classic Negative seems to be quite polarizing, some people hate it, most people seem to love it - but it seems there isn't something inbetween. My own "everyday" Classic Neg recipes would be Superia Xtra 400 and maybe Nomadic Mood - but that one can be a bit more tricky than the Xtra 400. It's interesting to see you start experimenting with your very own everyday settings to cater a recipe more for your needs.

Since you own an X-T5, what's your opinion about the new Nostalgic Negative simulation as a base line for recipes - it seems to be a bit more warmer and gentle compared to Classic Neg, but so far I haven't really seen much about it.
As I mostly take photos outside in the countryside I find Classic Neg can be a bit limiting because of how it deals with the greens... it all depends on the subject matter for me.

I've tried and tried with Nostalgic Neg (using Fujifilm X RAW studio) and each time I find something I like and go outside shooting with it I realise it's just not as good as the other recipes I like. I've basically ended up with one golden hour recipe, two Eternas, two Classic Chromes and two Classic Negs and I'll be sticking with them for a while now. All the new recipes I've seen lately seem to be minor variations on previous ones. Today, while I was trying out the above Classic Chrome recipe, I occasionally subbed in Eterna for Classic Chrome. Back in Lightroom a few tweaks of basic exposure and contrast had the Eterna pics looking identical to the Classic Chrome ones... it's all in the white balance and contrast.

Same subject, three separate photos, using different 'recipes'.

The first taken with Ilford Pan F recipe (from the FujiXWeekly website) --

XT5_May18_23_kangaroo+dark_glasses(PanF).jpg

The second, another recipe from FujiXWeekly, is Ritchie Roesch's light tweaked updating (for X-Trans V sensors) of his Kodachrome 64 recipe --

XT5_May18_23_kangaroo+dark_glasses#3(K64).jpg

The 3rd was developed by Luis Costa, what he calls COLORED B&W -

XT5_May18_23_kangaroo+dark_glasses#2(lc.b&w).jpg

My problem is... I like them all.

View attachment 388516

The second, another recipe from FujiXWeekly, is Ritchie Roesch's light tweaked updating (for X-Trans V sensors) of his Kodachrome 64 recipe --

View attachment 388517

View attachment 388518

Yep, they're all good.

<snip>

Co-incidently, I watched a film last night "Hell or High Water" (2016, Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine) that was set in West Texas and had lots of shots of dusty ranches, dusty roads and dusty small towns and it occured to me that Nostalgic Negative was perfect for those type of pictures. We just don't have that type of scenery in the UK.... Nostalgic Neg doesn't seem to suit lush greenery.

View attachment 388516

View attachment 388517

View attachment 388518

Me too. If I had to choose then I'd go for the Ilford Pan F for this picture, but for the next picture I'd choose.........

There're so many good choices that it's hard to narrow them down to the available camera slots.

Co-incidently, I watched a film last night "Hell or High Water" (2016, Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine) that was set in West Texas and had lots of shots of dusty ranches, dusty roads and dusty small towns and it occured to me that Nostalgic Negative was perfect for those type of pictures. We just don't have that type of scenery in the UK.... Nostalgic Neg doesn't seem to suit lush greenery.
You probably don't have weather that bears any resemblance to West Texas in the UK. It's pretty brutal.

Back