Fuji Fun with Film Simulation 'Recipes'

Kodak Gold 200

DSCF4840.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF4876.jpg

DSCF4875.jpg

Kodachrome 64 recipe but with the White Balance set to AUTO (R+2/B-5) and Dynamic Range set to AUTO too. Some Shadows and Blacks tweaks, everything else is SooC except for Texture, Vignette and Frame. The changes in sky colour are as shot and the pics were all within 1/2 hour of each other.

DSCF5209.jpg

DSCF5219.jpg

DSCF5227.jpg

DSCF5230.jpg

I've found (although I may be wrong) that my X-T20 doesn't get the white balance right on AUTO when it's golden hour or just after. So this morning, just after the sun was over the hills, I set it to SUNSHINE white balance (with R+2; B-4) and the Fuji X Weekly Vintage Kodachrome recipe and I got pictures that I thought really represented what the frost and sunshine looked like...

DSCF8144.jpg

DSCF8117.jpg

DSCF8147.jpg

DSCF8162.jpg

I've been studying and appreciating ALL of your recent postings, Colin - but this particular group, using the Vintage Kodachrome recipe, stand out especially for me. Something about the tones... And those cow's faces are priceless.
Thanks Miguel... you were one of my inspirations for going down the Fuji jpeg route so I'm glad you're enjoying my stuff. Whatever recipe I try using I always end up going back to the Vintage Kodachrome one. It's got the Kodak look without being over the top and the files will take a fair bit of exposure correction and still look good.

I've got a Fujifilm Superior 100 recipe from Poitr Skrzypek to try out tomorrow. It uses the Underwater White Balance (?) and he says it's good for cloudy days... the weather forecast looks cooperative.

I took this "Chromance" recipe and messed around to get it to work with my X-T20 without colour chrome effect and colour chrome blue... but the main bit is using a white balance of 6300K and R+1,B-3.... and it looks really good in golden hour.

DSCF9524.jpg

DSCF9542.jpg

DSCF9529.jpg

Now that I've acquired an X-T5 with its newer generation of X-Trans sensor, I am starting to test out some of the newer available 'recipes'.
My subject today: 3 caps in my closet (two Tintins, one Totoro).
First, some new ones from Ritchie Roesch's FujiXWeekly website...
This one he calls 'Timeless Negative' (and it's based on the new in camera Nostalgic Negative sim):

XT5_Feb21_23_TinTin+Totoro(timeless.neg).jpg

Then his slightly updated recipe for Kodachrome 64:

XT5_Feb21_23_TinTin+Totoro(K64).jpg

And a rather subtle monochrome recipe, inspired by Ilford FP4:

XT5_Feb21_23_TinTin+Totoro(IlfordFP4).jpg

Then a few recipes developed by Luis Costa, the Portuguese Fujiholic.
First, his variation of the Classic Negative sim, that he's slightly tweaked:

XT5_Feb21_23_TinTin+Totoro(classic.neg.l.c.).jpg

Then one which I quite like which he calls, simply, 'Big Negative':

XT5_Feb21_23_TinTin+Totoro(big.negative).jpg

And finally what I can only call an intriguing monochrome recipe that Costa calls 'Colored B&W':

XT5_Feb21_23_TinTin+Totoro(colored.b&w).jpg

Now that I've acquired an X-T5 with its newer generation of X-Trans sensor, I am starting to test out some of the newer available 'recipes'.
My subject today: 3 caps in my closet (two Tintins, one Totoro).
First, some new ones from Ritchie Roesch's FujiXWeekly website...
This one he calls 'Timeless Negative' (and it's based on the new in camera Nostalgic Negative sim):

View attachment 367639

Then his slightly updated recipe for Kodachrome 64:

View attachment 367640

And a rather subtle monochrome recipe, inspired by Ilford FP4:

View attachment 367641

Then a few recipes developed by Luis Costa, the Portuguese Fujiholic.
First, his variation of the Classic Negative sim, that he's slightly tweaked:

View attachment 367644

Then one which I quite like which he calls, simply, 'Big Negative':

View attachment 367645

And finally what I can only call an intriguing monochrome recipe that Costa calls 'Colored B&W':

View attachment 367646
Miguel, Kevin Mullins has some interesting film sims recipes on YouTube, (Kevin Mullins, My Fujifilm JPEG Settings).

Last edited:
I just recently discovered the recipe collection of Ivan Cheam, while those are for X-Trans IV (mostly for the very latest ones: X-S10, X-E4, X-T4 and X-T30 II), these can also be used for X-Trans V and with some limitations on earlier X-Trans IV bodies:
Scroll down for a complete list.

Here is a night shot taken with the Hue Obscure recipe. It was a stormy evening with light rain starting to fall and I had a couple of minutes before my train would depart. So I decided to take a quick shot of the southern gate of Berlin central station.
52703993143_125dcb880e_o.jpg
DSCF1266_AF by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

Two shots taken using some of Luis Costa's newer 'recipes', one colour, the other monochrome.
(They can all be found on this webpage: The 7 custom Fujifilm recipes on my camera right now)
The first, using what he calls 'C1 Classic Neg' --

XT5_Feb22_23_Vaer_watch+open_book#1.jpg

The second, using his 'Colored B&W' recipe--

XT5_Feb22_23_Vaer_watch+open_book#3(b&w).jpg

Back