Fuji Fun with Film Simulation 'Recipes'

In the back of your mind Miguel, have you found 'the one'? I personally got stuck on Kodachrome 64 generally and haven't moved on.
Yes and no, and maybe. But probably not quite yet.

More specifically, what I am finding (and have found) is that each different X-body (with different X-Trans sensors) tends to perform slightly differently with different 'recipes' - and, accordingly, I have found (or am finding) my favorites for each camera.

With the X-Pro3, it was unquestionably Classic Negative.

With the X-T3, which had an older (previous generation) X-Trans sensor, I had to do much more searching (and experimenting) before I found the two that I liked the best. Both were from Ritchie Roesch's FujiXWeekly website; one was for Superia 400 (which had more of a cool, greenish-blueish tonality); the other was from an older and rather contrasty Kodacolor recipe, much 'warmer' than the Superia, which Ritchie had modified to partially emulate some of the tones of early Stephen Shore color negatives.

I'm still experimenting with the X-T5. Ritchie Roesch has made some interesting and detailed observations about the different color balance or bias of the sensor, which, according to him, means that built-in Sims like Classic Negative don't render in exactly the same way that they did in previous Fujis (like my old X-Pro3). Also, supposedly, the newest generation of in-camera simulations Fuji has developed include 'Nostalgic Negative', which Fuji claims was directly inspired by the work of both Stephen Shore and Alex Soth. To further complicate my own research, I continually find myself attracted to the alchemy of both Luis Costa & Ritchie Roesch... but I haven't yet identified a favorite.

Ironically, if I'd kept either the X-Pro3 or the X-T3, instead of replacing them with an XT5, my answer would have been closer to a qualified 'Yes'. But right now, I couldn't say. One minor note, however: I'm finding the X-T5's rendition of K64 to be definitely superior to what the other Fujis I've used could create.

Last edited:
Yes and no, and maybe. But probably not quite yet.

More specifically, what I am finding (and have found) is that each different X-body (with different X-Trans sensors) tend to perform slightly differently with different 'recipes' - and, accordingly, I have found (or am finding) my favorites for each camera.

With the X-Pro3, it was unquestionably Classic Negative.

With the X-T3, which had an older (previous generation) X-Trans sensor, I had to do much more searching (and experimenting) before I found the two that I liked the best. Both were from Ritchie Roesch's FujiXWeekly website; one was for Superia 400 (which had more of a cool, greenish-blueish tonality); the other was from an older and rather contrasty Kodacolor recipe, much 'warmer' than the Superia, which Ritchie had modified to partially emulate some of the tones of early Stephen Shore color negatives.

I'm still experimenting with the X-T5. Ritchie Roesch has made some interesting and detailed observations about the different color balance or bias of the sensor, which, according to him, means that built-in Sims like Classic Negative don't render in exactly the same way that they didi in previous Fujis (like my old X-Pro3). Also, supposedly, the newest generation of in-camera simulations Fuji has developed include 'Nostalgic Negative', which Fuji claims was directly inspired by the work of both Stephen Shore and Alex Soth. To further complicate my own research, I continually find myself attracted to the alchemy of both Luis Costa & Ritchie Roesch... but I haven't yet identified a favorite.

Ironically, if I'd kept either the X-Pro3 or the X-T3, instead of replacing them with an XT5, my answer would have been closer to a qualified 'Yes'. But right now, I couldn't say. One minor note, however: I'm finding the X-T5's rendition of K64 to be definitely superior to what the other Fujis I've used could create.
Very interesting and it really does ring a bell what you say about the differing rendering of the updated models, that was my recollection too, as an example between the XT1 and XE3, I liked them both but they were different.

Last edited:
Taken with the Color Negative 400 recipe from FujiXWeekly. A contrasty, slightly dark and moody emulation of Superia 400, based on the Classic Neg simulation.

XT4_Feb24_dog@coffee_shop#3(color.neg.400).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

An eclectic shop-window, in Ashland Oregon. With two different film simulation 'recipes'...
The first, the FujiXWeekly 'Color Negative 400' (a contrasty, moody sim originally inspired by Superia 400)--

XT5_Mar1_23_shop_window(color.neg.400).jpg

The second, 'Big Negative', created by Luis Costa--

XT5_Mar1_23_shop_window#2(big.neg).jpg

Some late evening shots taken with the Cine 2046 recipe by Ivan Cheam. That recipe isn't particularly designed for night time photography, but when it got darker yesterday, I was quickly cycling through my seven presets and this one looked most interesting at a quick glance - so I decided to stick with it.

A cyclist speeding by a subway entry.
52738363571_71654c8544_o.jpg
DSCF1563_AP by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

Heading downtown to Alexender Square - the snowy rain started pouring down.
52738363486_b04e444b60_o.jpg
DSCF1578_AP by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

Some seek cheap clothing, others are seeking cheap shelter from the snow.
52738847058_4eb6d3ea0a_o.jpg
DSCF1606_AP by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

The world clock is a popular landmark in Berlin.
52738774495_efef324164_o.jpg
DSCF1612_AP by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

Electronics retailer Saturn glimming in the dark.
52738847013_a53fcdf073_o.jpg
DSCF1609_AP by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

Using Wanderlust from the f.r. site. It's Eterna based and I've changed the CCfxB from strong to weak for the X-Trans V sensor. Just basic exposure tweaks.

DSCF1242.jpg

DSCF1277.jpg

DSCF1276.jpg

DSCF1302.jpg

I think it was @MiguelATF that mentioned those Kodachrome presets being available for the differing X Trans sensor of each camera and I really do like the results.
It was Miguel and I've been round the houses with differing film simulations and I keep coming back to the Kodachrome ones. I'm just experimenting with a Kodachrome II recipe which is looking really good.

And, as a bit of a Classic Chrome fan-boy, this is my own recipe... but it's probably the same as one of the many there are out there. The basic settings of importance are:

Classic Chrome
White Balance: 5500K ; Red +4, Blue -5
Color Chrome F/x: Strong
Color Chrome F/x Blue: Weak
Highlights: -1
Shadows: +0.5
Colour: 0

DSCF2075.jpg

DSCF2083.jpg

DSCF2091.jpg
DSCF2099.jpg
DSCF2107.jpg

A relatively recent X-Trans V recipe from Ritchie Roesch (on FujiXWeekly), this one is called "1970's Summer" - and since today in Oregon was a gray, rainy, overcast time, its warmish tones seemed somehow appropriate.

XT5_April1_23_Swinging_in_the_rain#4.jpg

The subject is a neighborhood house where the Halloween decorations are still up.

I've been looking for a Portra recipe that I liked... and I think I've finally found one. Fuji X Weekly's Kodak Portra 800 v2 with the CCFxBlue dropped from Strong to Weak for the X-Trans V sensor. Very slight exposure tweaks... mainly dropping the blacks a bit.

However; it does have Sharpening: -2 and Clarity: -5 which really showed up as misty on the last photo, so I ran the RAF file through the Fujifilm X RAW Studio and changed them both to 0 and I've included that photo with exactly the same processing as the original one.

DSCF2625.jpg

DSCF2631.jpg

DSCF2641.jpg

And the first as shot...

DSCF2649.jpg

...and with Sharpening and Clarity set to 0...

DSCF2647(1).jpg

Back