Funny story

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
A little earlier this year, I had a medical procedure to make sure all was well with my plumbing. (It was.) They had promised it would be under "waking sedation." As I was sliding from the gurney to the table where they would do the procedure, I remarked to the anesthetist that I had been under waking sedation when my cataracts were fixed, and I found it fascinating that I was awake, aware that they were doing stuff to my eyeball, and yet I simply didn't care.

The anesthetist replied, "Oh, I've got better stuff than that."

And that's the last thing I remember.

Cheers, Jock

A little earlier this year, I had a medical procedure to make sure all was well with my plumbing. (It was.) They had promised it would be under "waking sedation." As I was sliding from the gurney to the table where they would do the procedure, I remarked to the anesthetist that I had been under waking sedation when my cataracts were fixed, and I found it fascinating that I was awake, aware that they were doing stuff to my eyeball, and yet I simply didn't care.

The anesthetist replied, "Oh, I've got better stuff than that."

And that's the last thing I remember.

Cheers, Jock
I've had 3 surgical procedures in the last 2 years. Same hospital, same anaesthetist. He says "you'll start to feel sleepy soon" and then I wake up with some part of my body swathed in bandages, usually asking stupid questions like "when is the surgery happening?".

A friend of mine was due for a small operation and was told that it would be done under sedation rather than general anaesthetic. My friend wasn't sure about this and asked the doctor how he would feel prior to the procedure. "Like you've just had three pints of Stella Artois on an empty stomach," he was told. The operation went fine.

-R

I recently had a camera shoved where the sun doesn't shine. The doctor told me they would give me a mild sedative. I jokingly told them they had better as I would fight to the death anyone who came near that sacred place! I then remember asking "when are you going to start?" only to be told it was done!

Some of the newer anesthetics simply suppress the ability to form new memories. When I had my colonoscopy, my wife said I first told her it had hurt and then 10 minutes later said I didn't feel anything. OTOH, the for last procedure I had they gave my Fentanyl and that induced fond memories. :D

I have had a number of surgeries on my right eye after my retina became detached. On one occasion I remember a young MD anesthesiologist walking up to my wife and I as I was lying on the gurney telling me what was going to happen. He suddenly paused and said, "don't I know you folks?" He did and yes, we had recognized him as a former broadcast photojournalism student of ours from years past. A not real serious student but a nice kid. My pre-surgery worries had just taken a new turn. ;-)
. . . David

Last edited:
A friend of mine was due for a small operation and was told that it would be done under sedation rather than general anaesthetic. My friend wasn't sure about this and asked the doctor how he would feel prior to the procedure. "Like you've just had three pints of Stella Artois on an empty stomach," he was told. The operation went fine.

-R
How does craving a kebab help you get through an operation? :dance3:

Better living through chemistry... :)
It does raise an interesting question. Say there was an anesthetic that left you immobilized but aware and in pain. It also left you with no ability to form memories of the experience. Would you knowingly submit to major surgery under these conditions?

It does raise an interesting question. Say there was an anesthetic that left you immobilized but aware and in pain. It also left you with no ability to form memories of the experience. Would you knowingly submit to major surgery under these conditions?
Hmm, I can only say that I am told I have had conversations with medical staff while under anaesthetic, but as far as I am concerned they just never happened. However being a coward at heart I would probably say no, just in case...

Back