FYI: International CC purchases from Cameta Camera.

Be prepared to send a scan of your most recent credit card statement to them, to be allowed to buy (or send a fax, or do a direct deposit all of which cost more $$$). I've decided not to go ahead with my purchase from them, I think its ludicrous in these days of instant information that they cannot verify my card. Here's the salient parts of the email I received yesterday (and which mail.app sent to junk... huh?)

Since our verification service does not work on cards issued outside of the United States, we have been unable to verify the billing address on your credit card. We can only ship to the billing address that is attached to the credit card. This is for the cardholder's, as well as our, protection against credit card fraud.

For internationally issued credit cards, we will require a fax (1-631-389-2153) or email scan (lizy@cameta.com) of a recent legible credit card billing statement for your credit card containing all of the following:
1-the name/logo of the issuing bank
2-your name
3-your complete billing address (this is the only address that we can ship to)
4-the credit card number

Please include your auction/order number when you send the document, so it does not delay the processing of your order.

We have found that the monthly billing statement that the credit card company sends to your house is the best example of the required document. You can black out any personal information on the document that does not pertain to this verification, such as balances and payments. For security reasons, your document will be securely disposed of after the verification is complete. A new document will be required for subsequent orders.

Your payment via credit card can not be processed without an acceptable billing statement for your credit card.

Whats even stranger is that the processing had already begun... there was a pending on my card from Friday night which disappeared on Monday morning... clearly they pulled it... but I dont know why... it must have been verified well enough for that. Anyway, changed my mind about buying from them. I'll make do with the J1 by itself for a while yet.

I agree Sue, i had the same problem with them before. it sucks. but i even got to a point where i thought they just simply DONT want to sell outside the states. but they dont want to say it, they make it expensive and complicated enough to all customers from overseas.

Just the other day I ran into a situation with a Japanese business, selling me the half case I wanted by CC was available but complicated, luckily I was able to make the purchase via their Paypal without issue. Odd that Cameta don't offer the same option.

Just the other day I ran into a situation with a Japanese business, selling me the half case I wanted by CC was available but complicated, luckily I was able to make the purchase via their Paypal without issue. Odd that Cameta don't offer the same option.

I think Chris is right... they likely don't actually want to sell outside the US. Oh well, they lost a sale and I am back looking at other sources.

Sorry to hear that Sue! :confused: I wish I had known.

Its OK. I've decided its all a furphy anyway, they said it was so they could confirm the address because of the fraud potential... but if I did a direct deposit, they still would not have confirmation of my address, and if I had got into someone elses bank account, could still defraud. I asked them what was the deal about the pending, and Liz said it was the dollar or penny or something which would have dropped off once the card was confirmed. So I dont know what the deal is. I've taken them out of my camera shopping place list.

The best and only real way to "punish" some brand or store about a bad service or bad practice is not even talking bad about them, but just dont use em anymore until they fix the problem(s).

Back