Panasonic FZ150 -- the power of a bridge camera. 1249mm?

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
I am still exploring the capabilities of the Panasonic FZ150, so I ran a little experiment today. I switched on all the stabilization and digital zoom capabilities, stood in one spot and shot some pictures.

1X/ 25MM equivalent:

FZ150_experiments_013_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10X/ 265MM:

FZ150_experiments_014_Medium_.JPG

20X/522MM:

FZ150_experiments_015_Medium_.JPG

24X/599MM, the limit of the optical zoom:

FZ150_experiments_016_Medium_.JPG

50X/1016MM, digital zoom:

FZ150_experiments_017_Medium_.JPG

199X/1249mm, digital zoom:

FZ150_experiments_018_Medium_.JPG

Admittedly, the last one is pretty rough, put still good enough to identify a bird.

All shots were hand held.

Luke,

I'll give that cropping a try. I remain astonished at the performance of this camera.

Now, if the good folks at Panasonic would just produce a version that is weathersealed . . .

In the meantime, I carry a small shoulder pouch with a ziplock bag inside.

That is pretty darned impressive, you'd be able to identify most birds before you reached the limits of your last shot. The results at the extremes are not top quality photography but more than useful for clinching an id.

Barrie

Barrie - I have just bought a Fuji HS30 EXR for exactly that - it has a 30x optical zoom, up to 720mm, then twice that with the Digital zoom

I wanted to use it for bird ID ........... at the limits of the zooms, i.e. 720mm and x 2 of that, 1440mm, it will just not spot focus fast enough and sometimes it will just not spot focus at all in anything other than very good light

Jock, how quick does the FZ150 spot focus?

Barrie - I have just bought a Fuji HS30 EXR for exactly that ....... it will just not spot focus fast enough and sometimes it will just not spot focus at all in anything other than very good light

Good point Bill, as with everything, there are pros and cons, certainly an important consideration with record type shots to confirm bird id, even more so since they often are to be found in less well lit places than the tip of that conifer.

Barrie

Back