Panasonic FZ200 at 1200mm equivalent

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
I just got back from Peebles Island.

This shot was taken at 600mm optical zoom and full iZoom -- 1200 equivalent. At 100%, it falls apart, but otherwise I don't think it is too shabby.

Peebles_FZ200_017_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers, Jock

One reason I've been holding onto my micro four-thirds kit, specifically the G5, is the ability to use the Panny 100-300mm lens - for an effective 600mm while shooting wildlife, etc. Yes, the FZ200's sensor is much smaller. But if this is the kind of result we can expect when 600mm optical zoom is cropped to 1200mm, I wonder if I might not get by just fine wih the FZ200.

One reason I've been holding onto my micro four-thirds kit, specifically the G5, is the ability to use the Panny 100-300mm lens - for an effective 600mm while shooting wildlife, etc. Yes, the FZ200's sensor is much smaller. But if this is the kind of result we can expect when 600mm optical zoom is cropped to 1200mm, I wonder if I might not get by just fine wih the FZ200.

That is a straight-out-of-camera, unaltered image, except for downsizing it so it could be uploaded to seriouscompacts.

Cheers, Jock

Back