Panasonic FZ200 Image Thread

However I can't help wondering if image quality is the be all and end all when it comes to judging a photograph. The subject, the emotion generated by the image, the artistic merits of the image and indeed the wow factor all play a part. Also photography is an art form, and above all it's subjective.

To that end I think that the FZ200 with it's at times slightly noisy files is capable of producing moody black and white images, particularly in the weather conditions I'm currently experiencing in my area of the UK. Couple that with it's relatively small size and the fact that beyond a spare battery you don't need to be carrying any other equipment it can comfortably accompany your outings that aren't being made purely for photographic purposes enabling a capture of unexpected opportunities to be made resulting of a record of the event, even if it has some technical shortcomings.

Barrie

Totally agree with your sentiments, Barrie.

Cheers, Richard

9697901751_8c2b6f06bb_c.jpg

A lucky shot!

Gorgeous! Love the second pic; has all the elements of a good composition, foreground, middle and background

Thanks for the kind words. That second shot was taken from one of the overlooks at Prospect Park. That's the Hudson River looking South about nine miles north of Albany, NY, the state capitol.

Cheers, Jock

Little or large, all in a days work

This afternoon the Plymouth pilot piloted two vessels out of the port, the first was one of the smallest to use the port, the British registered coaster Swift, given its size and relative lack of power rather a misnomer. She was bound, fully laden, for Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands

131031-1010232.jpg

Here the pilot boat closes in on the Swift to pick up the pilot, still inside the breakwater, the Swift is going to use the little used, narrow and shallow Eastern channel out of the port. To the right is the eastern end of the breakwater, the cage on the pylon is a refuge for anyone unfortunate enough to be ship wrecked on the breakwater to climb up into for safety until rescued

131031-1010237.jpg

The pilot boat Maker returns at speed for the next ship, in the background can be seen the breakwater with a lighthouse at its western end

131031-1010251.jpg

Something rather larger, the Pechora Star, outward bound for Le Harve having discharged her cargo of petroleum product

131031-1010259_1.jpg

The pilot boat accompanies the Pechora Star, this time the pilot will remain on the Pechora Star until she is outside the western end of the breakwater. Before the ship had cleared the breakwater the rain had begun

Barrie

A couple of sunrise shots

One is a panorama jpg; the other a wide angle from a raw file. The panorama looks like a crop of the wide angle because I didn't "sweep" very far. Both were post-processed with DXO 9.

FZ200_panorama_sunrise_011_DxO_Medium_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

FZ200_panorama_sunrise_007_DxO_Medium_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now, does anyone know where I can buy a "powerline filter?"

Cheers, Jock

Silver September revisited in colour

Since being in contact with Jock Elliott who put my wise to the use of the PRIME noise reduction feature in DxO Pro 9 I've revisited some of the images I took with the FZ200 for Silver September that featured rather fine detail in them.

I've reprocessed them using PRIME noise reduction at the export stage and then done some further minor adjustments in Photoshop CS2 and am now rather pleased with the results given the nature of the camera used to take them in the first place. I have produced reasonable A4 prints from all three of the images posted here. I have to stress there has been no cropping of the image at the post processing stage, I'm keen to get the cropping to my satisfaction in camera before taking the shot, particularly where the camera sensor is "size challenged".

130902-1000431_DxO.jpg

130902-1000434_DxO.jpg

130930-1000678_DxO.jpg

Thank you Jock for nudging me to look further into the PRIME noise reduction feature.

Barrie

Barrie,

Those shots have a kind of clarity to them that reminds of shots taken with "famous maker" optics.

Oh wait -- that camera does have famous maker optics. PRIME really helps to bring out the best in them.

Cheers, Jock

Back