Canon Showcase G1X Images

Nice B/W pics :)

Thank you!

But why would choose the old G1X over the new ? Can't see much going for it.

My concern is the same as any sequel, I guess. In updating it, have they gone backwards in any areas that matter. The existing G1X is a nicely balanced camera.

One reason to choose the old one over the new one is if you own it already as Luckypenguin does. Boom....just saved several hundred dollars.

Logic. I like it!

Nic, mate, I hope Canon have IDed you for their release campaign - you'd be a great representative and advocate.

I'm not always automatically convinced about the newer model being better…
e.g, X100 and X1 files have a purportedly better image quality about them than their X100s and X2 replacements (who both have decidedly better handling).
We can already see that the MkII G1X has inferior LCD articulation…..so it might not all be pluses.

So, again, Nic your hesitations might be well founded. Got to say I really like the idea of the dual lens rings but...

Good to be reminded of what the old G1X can do
The joy of the G1X is that you can use it at any aperture and get cracking results while cranking up the ISO.

So far, not one Mk2 sample has left me believing it to be its equal for image making.

There are a few people on photography-on-the.net who have purchased a MkII after owning the MkI and they believe the IQ is very similar between the two. The sensor seems not much changed from the original so it really depends on the new lens having the same bite as the old one I guess. To be honest after some initial early interest in the MkII I came to the conclusion that I neither wanted nor needed to replace my MkI so I haven't really been studying results from the MkII all that closely.

There are a few people on photography-on-the.net who have purchased a MkII after owning the MkI and they believe the IQ is very similar between the two. The sensor seems not much changed from the original so it really depends on the new lens having the same bite as the old one I guess. To be honest after some initial early interest in the MkII I came to the conclusion that I neither wanted nor needed to replace my MkI so I haven't really been studying results from the MkII all that closely.
Yeah well I became convinced of the Mark 1...
….so much so that Mark now has one. :blush:
Here's my first shot with it (apologies for the cross-post)
13917737036_a8e80a2721_c.jpg

Some odds and ends from my first few weeks of owning this camera. The last two are heavily processed in Lightroom. The G1X RAW files can take a lot of processing without falling apart.

IMG_0496.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

Back