Canon G1X instead of a RX100?

I lust after the RX100. The problem is price. Now that the G1X can be had for half the cost of a RX100 I'm wondering if I should get that instead. There are pluses and minuses for both. In terms of IQ, I think of it as a wash. This would fill the role of go anywhere travel camera for me. For those who have a G1X, what do you think? It's it portable enough.

you MUST show us where this mystical G1X is that half the cost of an RX100. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but it looks like $600-$650 everywhere on first glance. And they are 2 totally different cameras.

you MUST show us where this mystical G1X is that half the cost of an RX100. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but it looks like $600-$650 everywhere on first glance. And they are 2 totally different cameras.

Easy. At Adorama. Right after B&H, where else would people look first? :)

Canon PowerShot G1 X Digital Camera - Special Promotional Bundle 5249B001 KZ

G1X + Canon Pro 9000 + Photoshop Elements for $799. There's a rebate for $400 back for buying a Pro 9000 + camera bundle. That brings the price down th $400. That printer is worth $100-$150 on CL/ebay any day of the week. That brings it down to at least $300 if not $250. More so, if you buy it with 5% CB, that will get you another $40 back making it $210-$260. I'm not done. If you have a Discovercard they will give you another 5% CB for making a online purchase this quarter. That's another $40 making it $170-$220. If you have a Discovercard and bought it yesterday the CB would have been 7% since they had a one day special 2% bonus. That would have made it $154-$204. Unfortunately it's not yesterday so it's back to $170-$220. I suppose you could sell off Elements for $20 or so if you wanted. I roughed it out to "half the cost" for arguments sake.

If you rather have a big camera. You can do the same for a T3i and get that for $100-$120 more.

that is some creative bookkeeping, but your math works. I wish I had waited to buy my printer. I did get a $200 rebate with it, but it would have been sweet to get the camera and the bigger rebate as well. I'd be tempted to sell the camera though and get the printer for free and pocket a few dollars.

41K5IsU0nbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

that is some creative bookkeeping, but your math works. I wish I had waited to buy my printer. I did get a $200 rebate with it, but it would have been sweet to get the camera and the bigger rebate as well. I'd be tempted to sell the camera though and get the printer for free and pocket a few dollars.

There was a another deal for just the printer. Amazon sold the printer + a 50 sheet pack of paper for $229. There was a $200 rebate for it. So for $29 you got a printer + a pack of paper. So it was really like buy a pack of paper and we'll throw in a printer for free. Amazon is OOS on it now. The rebate is good until Dec but considering that the printer has been replaced by a newer model, I doubt they will get anymore.

i was tempted to get the G1X over my RX100 but remembered that i didn't like not being able to put the G12 in my pocket. i prefer the IQ of the G1X but i already have an E-PM1 that i will put the 15mm cap lens on so the RX100 won out. funny how that non-sensical logic played out.

I can understand why someone would want to compare the RX100 and the G1X, but I feel that they are totally different cameras and not in the same class at all. The size and design of the RX100 puts it into the truly compact class, but I see that as being both a blessing and a curse. Personally I just don't enjoy the handling of such a small camera, whereas the larger G1X is a great camera to hold. I think that wanting to buy an RX100 and possibly picking up a G1X cheaply are two unrelated issues.

Back