Canon G1X Mark II - reviews

People on DPreview have been fairly negative about this camera.
The Engadget Japan review posted by stillshunter shows some nice shots and decent DR. It looks good to me so far.
Hopefully once people get this camera in their hands and see what in can do in the real world people might be more positive.
...or the camera could be a dud... Haha. Is there such thing as a bad camera these days?... :)

Thanks. I posted a few Japanese reviews in the main gx II post, but I guess the attention fade away w/ time or better offerings from competition... I don't know if they are same or not, I'll check:
Canon - Canon G1 X Mark II Announced and Looks Amazing
Ooops sorry mate :blush: I was reading the other G1Xii release three and saw there was little mention of the reviews on there…mind you I only now realised there were two G1Xii release threads too :blush:
Lesson to self - pay more attention.

Thanks for posting. It is good that it come alive as it was buried under the release posts... Hopefully we'll see some more reviews with full size images as some are pretty small sized samples...

Ooops sorry mate :blush: I was reading the other G1Xii release three and saw there was little mention of the reviews on there…mind you I only now realised there were two G1Xii release threads too :blush:
Lesson to self - pay more attention.

People on DPreview have been fairly negative about this camera. ...)

I ignore DPR more often than not at this point, but when the original G1X launched a large majority of posters couldn't get their heads around the fact that it had a much larger sensor than all previous G series cameras and with it a much higher price. Not sure if that is the same issue again, but either way I wouldn't put too much stock in what the "experts" over there are saying.

I'm looking forward to the reviews too. Hopefully some English reviewers will get the camera early from Canon now that it's out in Japan.

I ignore DPR more often than not at this point, but when the original G1X launched a large majority of posters couldn't get their heads around the fact that it had a much larger sensor than all previous G series cameras and with it a much higher price. Not sure if that is the same issue again, but either way I wouldn't put too much stock in what the "experts" over there are saying.

The original G1X even got dissed by existing G-series compact owners for having a manual lens cap, whereas for someone coming from ILCs it seemed perfectly normal.

Not me, I dismissed it because the lens is crap! After reading this review and many other, I found the lens is very soft/blurry at F2.0, wide open.

キヤノン Canon PowerShotG1X MarkIIの描写力をチェック 高級コンパクト/monoxデジカメ比較レビュー

About half way down the page, you can see proof that the lens can't even resolve the 2 year old 13MP sensor.

http://www.monox.jp/img/canon_powershotg1xmk2_125mm_f020.jpg

Once you get to about f4.0 it gets better (in the center), but then the corners get worse. This lens is one of the worse I've ever seen! It is way too big, heavy and definitely NOT worth $800 :confused:

The MkI G1X also had (has) pretty limited dynamic range.
Yeah I heard this today from another G1X user.
I didn't realise - a damn shame to have such a big sensor and such a limited dynamic range….is that why DxO does;t much rate it?….though they don't seem to much like Canon as far as I can tell.

Canon is still using a different sensor technology compared to others like Sony, whose sensors are sometimes described as being "ISOless". This apparently means that they have one sensitivity setting and higher ISOs are created by pushing the file. You can pick this type of sensor out on DXO graphs because they have an almost linear relationship between ISO and dynamic range (1 stop increase in ISO = 1 stop loss in DR), whereas a Canon sensor scribes a curve that has less peak DR at low ISOs but doesn't fall away as quickly at higher ISOs.

DXODR_zps162ce82e.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sony NEX-6 vs Canon PowerShot G1X vs

The differences in dynamic range manifest themselves themselves not at higher ISOs but at low ISOs where the Sony-type sensors can pull out more shadow detail. However, while the higher DR sensors undoubtedly work best in extremes of exposure, I don't believe it makes them the better sensor to have 100% of the time.

I'm increasingly drawn to the G1X, primarily because of Nic's photography, and also because it may become a kind of classic for Canon. It seems good enough to shoot for several years without worrying about the upgrade cycle. But the G1x II's specs are very enticing. The issue will be whether the specs play out well in the real world. If the G1X II isn't the big jump that it seems to be, I just might pick up a G1X when the price comes down some more.

I have to say that adverse DR has never affected my G1X usage ; in fact I've never given it a thought.
I shoot jpeg+RAW most of the time and do what I have to do in PP.
One thing that surprised me is that when shooting RAW+JPEG , the JPEG file is always at default settings with no chance to customise colour,contrast etc.
Hopefully that will have changed.

I've been looking at the new night time images from the Mark 2 and notice that we never get the chance to see an image at full size.
I get the feeling that rather like many other sequel cameras ( LX5,X2,X20,RX100m2 etc ) it ticks more boxes but at the expense of basic IQ.
I fancy one but I need to see how it performs when used by a demanding amateur.

I'm increasingly drawn to the G1X, primarily because of Nic's photography, and also because it may become a kind of classic for Canon. It seems good enough to shoot for several years without worrying about the upgrade cycle. But the G1x II's specs are very enticing. The issue will be whether the specs play out well in the real world. If the G1X II isn't the big jump that it seems to be, I just might pick up a G1X when the price comes down some more.
You can get the G1X new - with genuine Australian warranty - from Ryda for less than $490 delivered (with use of their wallet code).

Review is posted on DPR. Still don't know what to make of the 2. They seem to praise IQ while concurrently pointing out that it is lagging vs Sony. It gets a 77 and a Silver award, but the review doesn't read that way to me.

I want to like this camera, but I just can't get there.

Back