Micro 4/3 G5 or GX7?

cthart

Rookie
Name
Colin 't Hart
Hi,

Viewfinder-using picture taker here, currently using a Nikon DSLR but wanting something smaller, possibly with the option of an ultrawide angle lens later. This writes off all P&S cameras as I haven't seen anything much wider than about 24mm (35mm equiv).

I really like the sounds of the GX7 but baulking a bit at the price ($1500 here including kit lens).

I can get a really great deal on a G5 (well under $500 including kit lens).

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Colin! Welcome to the forum.

If you don't mind fixed lens, you can put a wide angle adapter on the Ricoh GR to take it from 28mm to 21mm.

I'm considering getting a GX7, even though I already have the EM5. It's pretty much just for the form factor, plus a couple of things like WIFI and 1/8000 shutter speed.

While I don't own or have ever used the G5 (G3 was the last Panasonic camera I had), I doubt that the image quality alone on the GX7 is worth an extra $1000 over the G5. So much like my reason to get a GX7 (in spite of having an EM5), it all boils down to ergonomics and form factor.

Oh, the GX7 does have in-body image stabilization, which the G5 does not have. But if you are shooting primarily ultrawide stuff, image stabilization is probably not a huge deal.

One can buy a LOT of great glass for $1,000. Unless the GX7 does something different than the G5 (that is VERY important to you), I'd grab the G5 and pocket the cash with a big smile on your face. I took some really great photos (to me) with bodies a couple years older than the G5.

I have a G5, EPM2, and GH3. I used to have GH2 and G1... The G5 sensor is good, and it can produce great images. Where the newer sensors are ahead are in dynamic range and high ISO. Whether this suits your needs is hard to say. If you do deep shadow pulls or shoot often in low light, then a newer sensor might be worth it (not necessarily the GX7). Pushing files in post is also where the newer sensors make a step ahead.

From all accounts the GX7 is ergonomically solid and loaded with features. It's an attractive package for sure. At the same time, I can also see getting a G5, using it for a while, and then adding a GX7 or whatever later on. The G5 also have many useful features like plenty of function buttons, the EVF is nice, and the flip screen works well.

It might be the case that you'd benefit from a hands-on experience. Spec sheets only tell you so much.

Best of luck!

S

I use a G5 as my main m43 system camera (stlls only). I received a GX7 in the mail yesterday and used it for about 1/2 an hour before carting back to amazon. The G5 feels much better in the hand to me...it's about the perfect fit for my right hand. I know IQ will be better with the GX7 and was really looking forward to having basic 2 way IBIS along with a camera that would focus to 4EV (4EV!!). However, the strap hinge (with the detachable parts taken off) was really annoying on the right side. I'd feel guilty returning it to amazon if they didn't keep over charging me on their sales commissions. :p

Don't feel guilty. I do it all the time!

I'm not sure if the GX7 will be much better than the G5, IQ-wise. IMO, all the 16 mp sensors in the recent m4/3 are very close. I can't tell much of a difference if any at all between the EM1 and the EM5.

The G5 is very good. Looking at the latest cameras - EP-5, GX7, EM-1 - they show very little improvement in sensor performance. It's more a question of what features you want, how the camera will handle for YOU, and how the cost figures into that equation. I keep looking at the newer cameras - my G5 is still here, and likely to be here for a while. :)

Don't feel guilty. I do it all the time!

I'm not sure if the GX7 will be much better than the G5, IQ-wise. IMO, all the 16 mp sensors in the recent m4/3 are very close. I can't tell much of a difference if any at all between the EM1 and the EM5.

I don`t get along with the OMD ergonomics and tiny buttons. The menu system one can get used to. However, I picked up a silver GX7 two days ago and it just feels right for me. Ergonomics, rangefinder alike gestalt, high usability and good enough IQ for the versatile compact system. Panasonic did what Olympus should have done with the EP5. Will say goodbye to all things Fuji which are still in my closet and have mft as the versatile solution complementing the high IQ Ricoh GR, Sigma Merrill, Sony RX1 cameras.
I must admit that I`m even playing with the thought of selling the RX1, irrespective of its great files as it too often stays home. These days when packing the bag the Ricoh GR is the one which always goes in first and the rest has to complement it.

I don`t get along with the OMD ergonomics and tiny buttons. The menu system one can get used to. However, I picked up a silver GX7 two days ago and it just feels right for me. Ergonomics, rangefinder alike gestalt, high usability and good enough IQ for the versatile compact system. Panasonic did what Olympus should have done with the EP5. Will say goodbye to all things Fuji which are still in my closet and have mft as the versatile solution complementing the high IQ Ricoh GR, Sigma Merrill, Sony RX1 cameras.
I must admit that I`m even playing with the thought of selling the RX1, irrespective of its great files as it too often stays home. These days when packing the bag the Ricoh GR is the one which always goes in first and the rest has to complement it.

Glad you like the GX7. I like the "rangefinder" look as well. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to get one. But I'm also toying with the idea of re-investing into Fuji. I'm waiting to see what the new XE1 (or XE1S) is going to look like on 10/18.

Back