Micro 4/3 G9 rubber cover peeling!

Mike G

All-Pro
Name
Mike Gorman
When I received a brand new G9 + 12-60mm in August I was thrilled, thinking this was a camera I could live with for a long time, the image quality was superb, handling brilliant, menu system also very good! But yesterday I was gutted to find that the rubber surface covering the SD card slots door was peeling away from the cover and it now seems to be to large to fit back in where it used to be!
Now I’ll find out how good Panasonic Warranty service is, as it appears to be operated by a contractor!
Very disappointed Panasonic.

Wow, haven't had it long have you. Quality control was the main reason I stopped buying Olympus cameras, I'd always assumed Lumix was better in that regard. I guess this is also a warning to the likes of me that buy gear second hand, at least you're covered by warranty.

Ressurrecting this thread from the depths! My G9 is displaying exactly the same thing, with the rubber coming up from the SD card door and expanding so it doesn't fit any more. Is there a DIY solution for this?

To answer my own question, I've just used a craft knife and scissors to carefully snip off a section of the rubber at the end closest to the battery door. This allows the rubber to sit back into its recessed section. There is also a 3D printed grip replacement made by a fellow in Tasmania which looks suitable, too. I'll consider that if the rubber continues to peel off.

I remember reading about this issue when I was considering the G9. The thought was it’s a design flaw where you are more likely to push against the rubber to open the card hatch, causing it to peel away. I always mitigated this by pushing my thumbnail against the plastic grooves on the hatch so I’m not pushing on the rubber. Definitely could have been designed better, but at least there’s a workaround.

Back