GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

A warning or the Zero sum game, If you sell of some bicycle parts, consisting mostly of a NOS titaninum bottle cage that a fellow dearly wants for a high-end retro MTB build, dont go onto the local classified and find a GM1 bought new in 2019 a 20 minutes drive away, for about the same sum as the bike parts brought, then this happens:
View attachment 258231

The GX880 is rather chunky beside it.

1639 shutter actuations, flash fired 14 times, and it came with a OEM handgrip in black, all for the princely sum of approximately 150 bucks.

Would have preferred a black one, but for that price, I live well with the silver. Mostly facinated by the size of it, it is proper tiny, the only thing left now, is a GM5 if I manage to get hold of one. Other than that, I am content, and will do a bit of further spring cleaning of gear as well.
The GM1 is a really nice camera, I owned one for a little while but found a good deal on a GM5 and bought that instead - that was 4/5 years ago. The GM5 has a very tiny but usable EVF, but more so, it has a substantial-for-its-size thumb rest on the back, making it much less difficult to juggle. Plus a hot shoe, which I was really disappointed that the GM1 skimped on. But that said, the GM1 can do a lot. It's a sleeper, and is very well made.

@agentlossing , the grail of the minis would be the GM5, I missed out on one last week, which led to the GX880.

This one was somewhat pure greed and what we call over here "Havesyke", directly translated to "Having sickness". I fancy the idea of both LVF and hotshoe, it somewhat makes it "The system camera", for me.

The GM1 and the GX880 is somewhat PSs with benefits. :whistle:

And I recommend getting the Panasonic grip made for these two cameras, if you can find it cheap. It does cover the battery door, but us easy to remove and is very comfortable. Between the thumb grip on the back of the GM5 and the add on grip on the front, it became a very easy to handle camera. It was good on the GM1 too but there's still not much for your thumb to do.

"invested" in a Canon Pro200
Good one! That printer is well worth it. It's amazing how Canon managed to slim everything down while maintaining quality. I thought of getting the same printer but would need a bigger space for the prints, haha.
all for the princely sum of approximately 150 bucks
That's a steal, probably the cheapest one i've heard so far even in equivalent denominations!
It came along as an extra with the camera. (y)
Good catch. Even that sells for around USD 50 to 60 online.

I currently have the 9m
A warning or the Zero sum game, If you sell of some bicycle parts, consisting mostly of a NOS titaninum bottle cage that a fellow dearly wants for a high-end retro MTB build, dont go onto the local classified and find a GM1 bought new in 2019 a 20 minutes drive away, for about the same sum as the bike parts brought, then this happens:
View attachment 258231

The GX880 is rather chunky beside it.

1639 shutter actuations, flash fired 14 times, and it came with a OEM handgrip in black, all for the princely sum of approximately 150 bucks.

Would have preferred a black one, but for that price, I live well with the silver. Mostly facinated by the size of it, it is proper tiny, the only thing left now, is a GM5 if I manage to get hold of one. Other than that, I am content, and will do a bit of further spring cleaning of gear as well.
Congrats, Jens!
The GM1 is one of my all-time favorite micro four thirds bodies ever. It's beautifully built, easy to slip into a pocket, and works beautifully with several smaller pancake style lenses, especially the 20mm. One of its mainly cool and largely unappreciated features is being able to use the touchscreen for either instant focusing - or actually as a picture-taking-device: once it's set up correctly, touching the spot on the screen image where you want your focus to be, the camera automatically focuses and CLICK! takes the picture. The Panasonic software geeks really implemented these features quite nicely.

Have fun with it! Or, should I say, with them !

The delivery brought me my Nikkor 50/1.4. The glass is in gorgeously clean and the heft and size is just grand. The 28/2 has hit the customs and it should clear today. I just need my body to be back from the service...

3ed288d08bbb001b6b5b87210c2f7ab8.jpg

The 28/2 is here. A bit rough on the aperture and focus but cosmetically and optics-wise it looks absolutely pristine.

The service sent me a status update: they're waiting for some parts so it's probably at least another 7 days or so....

Sometimes I think owning an analogue camera without a viewfinder makes me a weirdo, definitely an unusual thing to shop for viewfinders. I can tell the demand is low strictly on account of the terrible selection, especially for 50mm-ish focal lengths.

BUT, I just found the Pentax O-VF1 for sale for $79 from Samy's Camera, so I ordered it! As long as it works well with glasses, it will probably serve me for getting a 50 of some sort with its approximately 47mm field of view.

Sometimes I think owning an analogue camera without a viewfinder makes me a weirdo, definitely an unusual thing to shop for viewfinders. I can tell the demand is low strictly on account of the terrible selection, especially for 50mm-ish focal lengths.

BUT, I just found the Pentax O-VF1 for sale for $79 from Samy's Camera, so I ordered it! As long as it works well with glasses, it will probably serve me for getting a 50 of some sort with its approximately 47mm field of view.
Never mind... I was notified that this was a clearance item no longer in stock. Samy's should maintain their website better.

Been keeping an eye out for a Nikon 50mm f1.4 G for several years but they seem to hold their value used. Spotted this Sigma 50 f1.4 DG HSM and it had good reviews + a good price-point - figured I'd give it a crack. They weren't kidding when they said it had a big front-element! AF speed is good too. Most importantly the bokeh is buttery smooth.

51190909858_c9d1afe0b6_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1610301 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

51190909933_d60dd24ddd_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_1843 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Been keeping an eye out for a Nikon 50mm f1.4 G for several years but they seem to hold their value used. Spotted this Sigma 50 f1.4 DG HSM and it had good reviews + a good price-point - figured I'd give it a crack. They weren't kidding when they said it had a big front-element! AF speed is good too. Most importantly the bokeh is buttery smooth.

View attachment 258836P1610301 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

View attachment 258837DSC_1843 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr
I wonder how it compares to the "Art", I'm guessing it may actually have more character.

I wonder how it compares to the "Art", I'm guessing it may actually have more character.
... which isn't that difficult. The Art has an almost infuriatingly neutral way of presenting an image - superbly detailed, true to life, and often somewhat flat. I guess that for me, it was probably the most frustrating of all the near prefect lenses I've owned at any point in time - hard to sell, but not sensible to keep - for me, of course. When I had it, I added a 50mm f/1.8G to have something more portable - and the 50mm f/1.4 Art ended up being one of my least used lenses. Optically, it's a powerhouse, photographically, more a scalpel than a brush (you wouldn't want to paint with the former, would you?).

On a different note, I ended up getting a second 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-D - for less than $100 including shipping (CHF 87). I really like this lens, but my first sample has a scratched front element - here's hoping for a better outcome this time (I'll not try a third). I use this lens as my go-to "normal" zoom on the D750 - works very nicely.

M.

Back