GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Picked up a 105mm f2.8 Micro-Nikkor - think its one of the early ones. Really shocked by its compact size; my 55mm MN seems almost as large. Feels very weighty tho'. Picture perspective makes it seem large in comparison to the body and 24-85mm in the background. Took almost 4 weeks to get here from the US - not bad given the drop off in international freight down here in the Antipodes.

51525481794_93579204c8_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_9280156 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

I discovered another little issue, but that's probably as much down to my way of handling manual lenses than the lens itself: I'm prone to knocking the aperture ring; while it's well dampened, it's still clickless, and I found myself at something like f/"3.2" more often than I liked. I just have to train myself to keep my fingers strictly on the focus ring, but the fact that both focus and aperture ring are rather narrow and somewhat similar, I may not always succeed. Again, this is far from being a deal-breaker, just something that people have to be aware of.
I had the same issue with the 7Artisans 25mm f/1.8, where the focus and clickless aperture ring are too easy to move. I placed a rubber band around the gaps so there will be some resistance to both rings. At the moment, only the purple ones are available in the house, as well as some brown ones but they are a bit more loose. I am to buy black rubber bands to make them invisible.

P1000334.JPG

Not sure if it is GAS or greed, but I snagged a LX7 off the classifieds here, earlier tonight. Have been eyeing the various LX5s, mostly due to having the LVF-1 in abundance,. or two, as it is called one NOS that I bought for the GF1, which came with one, so two of those is in the inventory. The LX7 came up for a whooping $58 including postage, I couldnt resist so now foot tapping and frequent trips to the mail-box is in order. May end up with a LX5 as well.

Other than that, I fancy a LF1, which I take to be a minuscule LX7 with a viewfinder and a very few choice lenses, all of them covered reach wise by others in the inventory, with the exception of the PL 100-400. None which really is needed, but wanted/fancied.

The reasonable thing to do would be to charge some batteries for the smaller ones I already have, and start carrying and shooting those more.

Last edited:
A surprisingly compact telephoto zoom, this is version II of Olympus's venerable 75-300mm lens. It rounds out my small handful of mu-4/3's lenses, most of which rotate as necessary on my GX9. It's quite lightweight, but feels good 'in the hand'---

EP5_Oct1_21_75-300_lens#1.jpg

And I'm optimistic that, though the lens itself (I bought it lightly used) was quite inexpensive, the Olympus engineers put some decent glass inside.

EP5_Oct1_21_75-300_lens#2.jpg

Was given an Epson V700 a while back without any extras; No adapter, no negative holders.
Got an adapter through an electronics store, ad said it was supposed to be compatible with the V700. But the connector needed some serious torture to make it fit the scanner.
But it finally switched on and Vuescan saw it right away.

And now I've gone and ordered some 35mm, 120 and 4x5" negative holders for it!
I can finally retire my 30-year-old HP scanjet G4050.

A surprisingly compact telephoto zoom, this is version II of Olympus's venerable 75-300mm lens. It rounds out my small handful of mu-4/3's lenses, most of which rotate as necessary on my GX9. It's quite lightweight, but feels good 'in the hand'---

View attachment 271937

And I'm optimistic that, though the lens itself (I bought it lightly used) was quite inexpensive, the Olympus engineers put some decent glass inside.

View attachment 271938
I am quite intrigued by this, as well, @MiguelATF. Once you have got acquainted with it, please give us a short review on the PGR thread. I have been looking at the Lumix 100-300mm II but this Oly keeps on popping up on TradeMe and is is just decently priced.

I am quite intrigued by this, as well, @MiguelATF. Once you have got acquainted with it, please give us a short review on the PGR thread. I have been looking at the Lumix 100-300mm II but this Oly keeps on popping up on TradeMe and is is just decently priced.
I've owned both (a couple of times actually :oops:). I'm far from the best with long telephotos to give an accurate review, but I can comment on a few physical observations.

The Oly is a lot lighter, by about 100g. For many it's too light. It also tends to be a little cheaper. The Oly has no OIS. The Pan 100-300 version I has "Mega" OIS which is not compatible with Oly IBIS (obviously) and was never updated to support Pan Dual IS. Instead Pan updated the the 100-300 to version II and changed Mega OIS to Power OIS that is compatible with Dual IS. The Oly does not have a tripod collar and I don't believe anyone has ever created one for it. There is a REALLY nice collar for the Pan 100-300, Roesch collar.

Last edited:
I used to have this lens. It's not spectacular, but not terrible, either. I did a raptor photo workshop with it and a Panasonic G80 3 years ago this month. Here are some images I posted to the forum at the time: Raptor workshop

I used to have this lens. It's not spectacular, but not terrible, either. I did a raptor photo workshop with it and a Panasonic G80 3 years ago this month. Here are some images I posted to the forum at the time: Raptor workshop

Some really nice shots in your collection from your Raptor Workshop, Tony. My favorite is the 7th in your post - of a raptor (I wish I knew what kind) partially spreading its wings . They are a good advertisement for the lens. I think, with birds and with zooms or telephoto zooms, half the battle is in learning actually how to photograph one's subjects; birds, whether moving or still, present a whole raft of interesting challenges - and when one is shooting at the equivalent of a 600mm FOV, it ain't as easy as one might think. Thank you for sharing these again, here.

Some really nice shots in your collection from your Raptor Workshop, Tony. My favorite is the 7th in your post - of a raptor (I wish I knew what kind) partially spreading its wings . They are a good advertisement for the lens. I think, with birds and with zooms or telephoto zooms, half the battle is in learning actually how to photograph one's subjects; birds, whether moving or still, present a whole raft of interesting challenges - and when one is shooting at the equivalent of a 600mm FOV, it ain't as easy as one might think. Thank you for sharing these again, here.
Thanks Miguel. #7 is Dorie, a Perigrine Falcon who was hit by a car when he landed on the New River Gorge Bridge in southern WV as he was learning to fly. He somehow survived the collision and was rescued by someone driving by (on a busy, major highway, at that), and taken to Three Rivers Avian Center, where they nursed him back to health. His left wing was irreparable, but he is otherwise a healthy, adult Falcon. I've been to a couple of their workshops and have been privileged to watch and photograph some amazing birds.

The Pan 100-300 version I has "Mega" OIS which is not compatible with Oly IBIS (obviously) and was never updated to support Pan Dual IS. Instead Pan updated the the 100-300 to version II and changed Mega OIS to Power OIS that is compatible with Dual IS.
For owners of the version 1 of the Pana 100-300, be advised that there are an old firmware update to it, which soup up the OIS and not toted, but I found it to improve AF speed and ability to lock-on as well. It may have something to do with the OIS being "bettered". My second hand copy came without it, and it improved noticable when updated.

The Roesch tripod collar are also a very worthy upgrade to it.

Been loving the Nikon Z fc so much lately so decided to invest a little bit more into the DX lenses. Found a really good price on a used Z50-250mm DX lens so picked it up. Should be here sometime next week. Here's hoping FedEx doesn't delay delivery for 3 days due to "operational issues" like the last 2 deliveries were.

Anyhow...As much as I love the F mount 70-300, I want to see just how good this lens is for myself. I've seen some excellent results on this forum and other places, so expectations are rather high.

Oh, yes! He shoots, he scores!!

Panasonic LF-1 inbound, as is a Panasonic 45-175mm. That makes for two cameras (The LX7 and LF1) and one lens over the last fourteen days.

Only cameras I have GAS for now, is the GM5 for the viewfinder and somewhat lusting for the LX15, based off the experience of the LX7, which is an incredible nice camera. There are also very few lenses left for me to drool over, mostly the PL25mm and the PL100-400. None of which are needed, but somewhat fancied.

Sellers photos, from the ad.

Attachments

• LF1 1.jpg
    LF1 1.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 49
  • LF1 2.jpg
    LF1 2.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 40
  • LF1 3.jpg
    LF1 3.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 43
Back