GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Ordered a nice looking old Nikkor HC 5cm f/2 lens in LTM mount. Should be a fun nifty fifty for the M 240. From the auction:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Also paid for my 21/4's repair by DAG. I should have a fun December photographically.

I'm going to enjoy paging through it, most likely. That body of work looks like so many of our family travel snapshots from the '60s and '70s.

Next year I'll getting a few other table books I've been wanting. Eyeing a couple from David Yarrow, I really like his monochrome wildlife photos.
I just put Uncommon Places on my Christmas wish list for the wife... Stephen Shore to me is part of that continuum that I sort of see between Eugene Atget -> Walker Evans -> Robert Frank -> Stephen Shore. The sort of "straight" photography where the photographer mostly gets out of the way and tries to depict people and especially places with as realistic and un-editorial a voice as possible. Maybe Frank doesn't belong on the list because he is obviously a lot more editorial and artistic, but then he was really strongly influenced by Walker Evans and American Photographs.

I'd like to think of myself as one day being somewhere on that continuum. Shore is great for playing with color where the others did not, and in his really subtle depictions of consumption.

I just put Uncommon Places on my Christmas wish list for the wife... Stephen Shore to me is part of that continuum that I sort of see between Eugene Atget -> Walker Evans -> Robert Frank -> Stephen Shore. The sort of "straight" photography where the photographer mostly gets out of the way and tries to depict people and especially places with as realistic and un-editorial a voice as possible. Maybe Frank doesn't belong on the list because he is obviously a lot more editorial and artistic, but then he was really strongly influenced by Walker Evans and American Photographs.

I'd like to think of myself as one day being somewhere on that continuum. Shore is great for playing with color where the others did not, and in his really subtle depictions of consumption.

Best wishes. Love the colors I've seen so far in the Shore photos from that series I've seen.

I'm still in discovery/ learning process about all of these people. Added those to my list to investigate. :)

Best wishes. Love the colors I've seen so far in the Shore photos from that series I've seen.

I'm still in discovery/ learning process about all of these people. Added those to my list to investigate. :)
American Photographs and The Americans are two of the best photobooks out there, and inexpensive! I highly recommend both of them.

To be honest I haven't followed the later work of either Evans or Frank, I kind of suspect that they're both artists who struck gold with these works and sort of lived in the shadow of them for the remainder of their work. Probably an unfair assumption on my part... Also I'm just rooted in my enjoyment of those eras of their work and less interested in some of the different directions they took afterwards.

American Photographs and The Americans are two of the best photobooks out there, and inexpensive! I highly recommend both of them.

To be honest I haven't followed the later work of either Evans or Frank, I kind of suspect that they're both artists who struck gold with these works and sort of lived in the shadow of them for the remainder of their work. Probably an unfair assumption on my part... Also I'm just rooted in my enjoyment of those eras of their work and less interested in some of the different directions they took afterwards.

I've seen those two books mentioned several places, so they're on my list.

I've been thinking of what I might do for my 2022 monthly project on another site. Have been doing monochrome stuff this year. Since most of what I do is best categorized as snapshots, I might try a classic chrome variation of SOOC snapshots for 2022. Shore's work might be a good inspiration for that. Or, I might just do monochrome again. Reminds me, I need to go do an update for November's images.

Picked up this one which came in the mail, from the local classifieds, today:
GF2.jpgGF2 sht cnt.jpg

and got a 3 month old second-hand 14mm f:2.5 MkII earlier this week, I had the MkI version from earlier and it came with a silver GF2 as its rear lens-cap. The MkII is in very un-scientific testing noticeable quicker in the AF dept.

Also inbound but delayed are the Olympus 9mm Body Cap Lens, I had one of those earlier, but lost control over it a couple of years ago. Most likely it will turn up as I unpack the new one. I as eyeing a bundle with a GF1 and GF3 house, but I think I will let common sense prevail and leave those out. I already have two GF1 houses, and even if I like them a lot, I think its good. The GF3 would somewhat round off the collection of the non-tilting screen GFs, but I am not collecting them as such, and I already have the GF5 that I like and use, so it would be somewhat moot.

The jury is somewhat out on the GF2, as to if I like it or not, but I started up with the oldies to have "sacrificial" cameras for bad weather, so it could probably fill that niche since I tend to be somewhat careful with the ones I like, I will use them, but not without worries if the weather is bad. The G9 is the only house I have pt that is weather proofed and that is bigger than what I like to bring on a whim.

Will most likely consolidate things a bit, and put up an add for the silver GF2 with the 14-42 in the picture, and put up separate adds for the silver MkI 14 and one of the LVF-1s, which seems to multiply with the approx speed of the 12-32s, of which I currently have 4, the same number as the LVF-1s... :unsure: 😂

The Q2 I picked up earlier this year came with the original receipt from the Las Vegas Leica store. Original purchaser bought it 3/2021.
Hadn't bothered to register the warranty with Leica.
Today an email from Leica came with an offer to extend an additional 12 months warranty for any unregistered Leica bought new from an authorized dealer since Oct 2019.
It is now registered and covered until 3/2023.
Unlikely to need it but you never know...

Oh, and getting back to camera stuff…went to visit my friend that works at a local camera store today, and wouldn’t you know it, they had a Z 28/2.8 Nikkor sitting there. It is now mine!! Will compare it to the Viltrox 24 I have. The Viltrox will probably be going to the for sale page here soon if the Z28 performs how the MTF charts show.

I know size wise, it will be a great pairing with the Zfc.

DSC_3238.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This little guy arrived today - and I have to say that images don't do it justice; it's very nicely made, very small, but feels really sturdy and well thought out.

M.

(P.S. This time around, the Nikon 1 V1 seems to have made kind of a mess out of this image; never mind - but I'll take better care next time.)

View attachment 280318

This little guy arrived today - and I have to say that images don't do it justice; it's very nicely made, very small, but feels really sturdy and well thought out.

M.

(P.S. This time around, the Nikon 1 V1 seems to have made kind of a mess out of this image; never mind - but I'll take better care next time.)
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is that device?

Back