GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

So, finally pulled the trigger on some OCF gear after years (actually decades, to be frank) of fancying it.

Tomorrow the following package will start its way towards me:
An AD200 Pro flash kit
The TTL Radiotransmitter XPRO 2,4G
and a TT350.

The rationale is to get going, with some flexibility.

The choice of the simple TT350 is somewhat based on the presumption that it will be a "daily" driver so to speak and running it on rechargeable AAs but with the possibility to run it on disposable batteries and by that being somewhat off-grid. It will probably replace my Meike 320 as an EDC flash, due to it working in conjunction with the rest of the incoming units. The AD200Pro is a given, it seems to be somewhat of a watershed, when it comes to lighting for the masses and offers greater flexibility than one of the bigger speedlights and with very little size penalty.

I also have several of the old camera flash-grips, so I could probably rig it to be somewhat mounted with the camera, if not on it.

I plan to start by using an old Slik tripod for mounting the AD200, it is a bit low but time will show. It is anyhow a stop-gap solution whilst looking into proper light stands and other sundries, such as modifiers which most likely starts with a umbrella as per Strobist 101.

From earlier, I have a IKEA "studio" set-up, iow a stool and one white and one black shower curtain, time to put that to some use. 🥳

Rick the Well-traveled, returns home victorious from a Camera Raid in the icy Northern Provinces.

Took over a collection from a friend. Lots of plastic fantastic stuff that'll go in the 'for sale' bin, but some nice treasures too;
Kiev-6C outfit, Rolleicord, a Filmo, 2 Kodak magazine 16mm cameras, several Argusses...Argi.... , A pre-anniversary miniature Speed Graphic,
Several box cameras, several Japanese rangefinders, a bunch of Prakticas. And more accessories than you can stake a stick at!

haul211203.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I purchased a lens hood for the Pentax 18-250mm that came with the K200D and here it is with the lens. It's a JJC- LH-DA18 which is listed as a hood for a Tamron 18-250mm. They are essentially the same lens.
P1240535.JPG

P1240539.JPG
P1240542.JPG
P1240543.JPG
P1240550.JPG

Pentax 01 Prime. Much more size appropriate. Two week turnaround from Japan - not bad at peak Chrimbo shipping time.

View attachment 283633PC290158 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

View attachment 283634PC290159 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Congrats on this, Walter.
I suspect you are going to like it.
I've been shooting with this lens on both my Q7 and my 1st-generation Q for the last few years and find that it is, bar none, not only THE best lens for the Q cameras - but one of the finer small primes around. The fact that it looks so charmingly tiny - when mounted on a camera which is already insanely tiny - makes the whole thing appear like an unthreatening toy, rather than a 'real' (i.e potentially intimidated heavy DSLR-type) camera, which allows one to pretty much use it in 'stealth' mode 100% of the time.
I hope you enjoy it.

Arriving today (hopefully) are my new Nikkor Z 28mm f2.8 & Nikkor Z 18-140 DX lenses! :yahoo:
Well ....... the 18-140 is definitely a keeper, but the 28 is going back. Not that it's bad, but only offers a little more speed over my DX 16-50 and the 18-140. In all practicality the images between all 3 are nearly indistinguishable. Same goes for my FX 24-50 and 24-70 f4. Guess I just don't need a prime after all. :cool:

Quite an excellent start. A lot can be covered with that setup.
And a good mindset.
Adding pieces by necessity will spare you a pile of modifiers - that I have. ( :
So, finally pulled the trigger on some OCF gear after years (actually decades, to be frank) of fancying it.

Tomorrow the following package will start its way towards me:
An AD200 Pro flash kit
The TTL Radiotransmitter XPRO 2,4G
and a TT350.

The rationale is to get going, with some flexibility.

The choice of the simple TT350 is somewhat based on the presumption that it will be a "daily" driver so to speak and running it on rechargeable AAs but with the possibility to run it on disposable batteries and by that being somewhat off-grid. It will probably replace my Meike 320 as an EDC flash, due to it working in conjunction with the rest of the incoming units. The AD200Pro is a given, it seems to be somewhat of a watershed, when it comes to lighting for the masses and offers greater flexibility than one of the bigger speedlights and with very little size penalty.

I also have several of the old camera flash-grips, so I could probably rig it to be somewhat mounted with the camera, if not on it.

I plan to start by using an old Slik tripod for mounting the AD200, it is a bit low but time will show. It is anyhow a stop-gap solution whilst looking into proper light stands and other sundries, such as modifiers which most likely starts with a umbrella as per Strobist 101.

From earlier, I have a IKEA "studio" set-up, iow a stool and one white and one black shower curtain, time to put that to some use. 🥳

Very different ends of the technology spectrum - a Panasonic FT to MFT converter (works flawlessly on my E-M1 / 12-60mm lens combo in place of the generic one that came with the lens) and a Nikon F prism finder (on the lookout for a black F body to form a franken-panda).

51786277363_a710c3ce0c_o.jpg
PC300012 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

A 'new to me' Sony RX100Va arrived a couple of days ago. At $1000 new this would be too much for me but I got this one in like new condition for $650 at MPB.com, most of which was covered by trading in my little used Fujifilm X-T2 and XF 18-55. I still have my X-E2 and a couple of Fujinon F2 primes so I'm still invested in Fuji and should they ever bring out an X-E series camera with IBIS I'd be first in line.

PXL_20211230_193705690.jpg

You mentioned being on the lookout for one of these, Olli. Nice that you got it and rationalised your gear! Hope it'll be just as capable and more fun than you expected;)

Personally I probably would've chosen the VI over the Va due to the longer lens, but I assume you went Va for the low light capabilities?

You mentioned being on the lookout for one of these, Olli. Nice that you got it and rationalised your gear! Hope it'll be just as capable and more fun than you expected;)

Personally I probably would've chosen the VI over the Va due to the longer lens, but I assume you went Va for the low light capabilities?

Thanks.

It still doesn't have the character (for want of a better word) of my LX cameras but it's growing on me. Yes, I had a preference for the faster lens. Most of my shooting is done in the 24-70 range. An extra few mm might be nice but I dont really need the range of the VI and VII and the slower lens on the original RX100 I had was a bit frustrating so I suspect it might be the same with the newer long lens models. That said, this and a VI or VII would be a nice compact duo.

Adorama had a great deal on the Sigma 45mm 2.8 contemporary lens that I couldn’t resist. Have been eyeing this and the Sony 40mm G lens, each offering their own strengths, but this deal made the decision easy.

12B6F062-809A-4454-931F-85EDB949CCB2.jpeg

It was just dropped off this afternoon, so haven’t been able to get much use of it yet. I did take a few photos at f2.8 and f4, and as expected, it is very sharp at f4 and “softer” wide open that helps with the rendering. Looking forward to testing it further in the next few days.

Adorama had a great deal on the Sigma 45mm 2.8 contemporary lens that I couldn’t resist. Have been eyeing this and the Sony 40mm G lens, each offering their own strengths, but this deal made the decision easy.

View attachment 284039

It was just dropped off this afternoon, so haven’t been able to get much use of it yet. I did take a few photos at f2.8 and f4, and as expected, it is very sharp at f4 and “softer” wide open that helps with the rendering. Looking forward to testing it further in the next few days.
I just picked up one of these from Adorama myself - along with a 24mm f/3.5 and a 28-70mm f/2.8 zoom. Mine are in L mount. Cracking value. I'll post more about the hows and whys elsewhere on this site soon.

I lost the battle against impatience today: After finishing a really tedious task yesterday, but mainly because I'm fed up with waiting for Nikon to fix my Z 6, I caved in and bought the Z 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 DX. Truth be told, I'd have done that sooner or later anyway - I've been missing a *small and light* universal zoom ever since selling the Olympus 14-150mm f/4-5.6 II.

I already do own a very nice superzoom lens, the Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3, and it makes a great combo with the Z 6 - but I'd definitely not call it small and light, even though I'd probably pick it over the smaller lens for travel because it does deliver the goods (see below, though ...). I've paired that lens with the Z 50 before as well, but while it does well, it feels somewhat off - a tad too big for the small body, and while the additional reach is nice, it's not always necessary, nor is the cropped zoom range (35-300mm-e) equally universal.

The Z 18-140mm, on the other hand, balances very well on the Z 50, and it *is* small, light and clearly better built than the kit lens - very enjoyable to walk around with. The jury is still out on its IQ on the whole, though - today, the light was really difficult, harsh, yet hazy in the distance, so I'll have to take a closer look over the next couple of days.

M.

Last edited:
I lost the battle against impatience today: After finishing a really tedious task yesterday, but mainly because I'm fed up with waiting for Nikon to fix my Z 6, I caved in and bought the Z 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 DX. Truth be told, I'd have done that sooner or later anyway - I've been missing a *small and light* universal zoom ever since selling the Olympus 14-150mm f/4-5.6 II.

I already do own a very nice superzoom lens, the Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3, though, and it makes a great combo with the Z 6 - but I'd definitely not call it small and light, even though I'd probably pick it over the smaller lens for travel because it does deliver the goods (see below, though ...). I've paired that lens with the Z 50 before as well, but while it does well, it feels somewhat off - a tad too big for the small body, and while the additional reach is nice, it's not always necessary, nor is the cropped zoom range (35-300mm-e) equally universal.

The Z 18-140mm, on the other hand, balances very well on the Z 50, and it *is* small, light and clearly better built than the kit lens - very enjoyable to walk around with. The jury is still out on its IQ on the whole, though - today, the light was really difficult, harsh, yet hazy in the distance, so I'll have to take a closer look over the next couple of days.

M.
Fantastic, Matt - let us know how it goes. My superzoom itch will likely be satisfied by purchasing the Tamron 18-300 for my Fuji XS-10 - whenever it actually becomes available.

I just picked up one of these from Adorama myself - along with a 24mm f/3.5 and a 28-70mm f/2.8 zoom. Mine are in L mount. Cracking value. I'll post more about the hows and whys elsewhere on this site soon.

I’m eying both those lenses as well, and the 90mm. That would make an excellent compact kit.

I already have the Tamron 28-75, which is a fantastic lens, but the Sigma 28-70 is a bit smaller in size and about 80% the weight. I also prefer the zoom ring location of the Sigma.

Back