GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

I'm toying with buying a second copy (used) of the Fuji X-T20 to backup my 5-year old workhorse.

My X-T20 coupled with either the 27mm (original version), 23/2 or 18mm is always in my bag,
whenever I go out anywhere. It's for days with non-specific photo plans or official obligations.
It's the combination that accompanies me into less savoury parts of town to remain 'under the
radar' and it's also suitable for general unobtrusive street photography.

In the meantime I also have an X-S10 and X-T30, which are newer designs and 'better' cameras.

Today a used X-T20 rated 7/10 (some scuff marks and scratches on the LCD) has come up on
my local shop's second hand page. The price is reasonable and I'm tempted to have it as a
second 'walkabout' body to eliminate the need for lens changing.

Good idea or bad idea? I've had it put aside and will go to check it out on Monday. The
'scuffs and scratches' make me concerned that the previous owner was a careless person,
which doesn't bode too well, but it comes with a 3 month warranty which gives a bit of
comfort
I did it ! I've collected the X-T20 this morning and have gone through all the settings to replicate what
my previous camera is set to. Unfortunately they did a factory reset, so when I try to check the shutter
count, it gives me 01 for the first image I've taken with it today.

But it does take photos, so that box is ticked :)

Web 1500_DSCF0027 Newly bought X-T20 test Freya Crop.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

40mm f2.8 XS
Nice. The "biscuit" lens that uses same optics as the DA 40mm Ltd. It's in my wish list, at the moment, together with the DA 20-40mm, as I am currently channeling photo/video-related equipment.
K-3 II arrived.
Good find, mate. Tell us more about the Astrotracer in the PGR thread, only if you have time. It's a great feature but, even in Pentax Forums, they rarely use it. Cheers.

Last edited:
I got myself something relatively cheap, quite wide, and hopefully really cheerful - a NiSi 15mm f/4 Sunstar. I've been wondering whether I'd like something wider than my Tamron 17-28, and thought this would fit the bill for now. One great plus is that it takes screw-in filters.

signal-2022-07-18-203311_001.jpeg

We're currently on a trip "up north" - well, for me it's north, but not really even in the middle of the country yet - and the lens will receive it's "baptism of fire" this wednesday. Hopefully that'll result in some material for the waterfalls-thread later on.

I got myself something relatively cheap, quite wide, and hopefully really cheerful - a NiSi 15mm f/4 Sunstar. I've been wondering whether I'd like something wider than my Tamron 17-28, and thought this would fit the bill for now. One great plus is that it takes screw-in filters.

View attachment 324099

We're currently on a trip "up north" - well, for me it's north, but not really even in the middle of the country yet - and the lens will receive it's "baptism of fire" this wednesday. Hopefully that'll result in some material for the waterfalls-thread later on.
Do get back to us on the sunstars. I was aware of that lens but was always satisfied with the Nikkor G 20mm F1.8 AF-S or any Voigtlander lens for the stars.

Olympus E-PL9 arrived today. Paid 260 euros. Wanted a small 4k capable m43 camera with Olympus colours.

First impressions were mixed.
  • It’s 1080p video quality is still ass, perhaps a bit better than the E-pl8.
  • It has sharp 4k with ibis(no crop) and peaking, so that’s perfect. But the peaking implementation is poor. I preferred E-pl8’s peaking method.
  • The menu’s are pretty weird but it is fine. You have 1 button you can customize, wut.
  • I need to go so some special silent mode to get access to 1/16000th electronic shutter for some reason.
  • The shutter sound is also a much better, feels faster and quieter.
  • Ergonomics area little worse than on the E-pl8, the dual button above the thumb rest are placed higher and are harder to reach.
You might wonder, why did you not go for the GX80/GX85? A: I don't like that EVF, no selfie screen, less compact, and Panasonic skintones look too purple (and in video those are a PITA to fix).

I'm toying with buying a second copy (used) of the Fuji X-T20 to backup my 5-year old workhorse.

My X-T20 coupled with either the 27mm (original version), 23/2 or 18mm is always in my bag,
whenever I go out anywhere. It's for days with non-specific photo plans or official obligations.
It's the combination that accompanies me into less savoury parts of town to remain 'under the
radar' and it's also suitable for general unobtrusive street photography.

In the meantime I also have an X-S10 and X-T30, which are newer designs and 'better' cameras.

Today a used X-T20 rated 7/10 (some scuff marks and scratches on the LCD) has come up on
my local shop's second hand page. The price is reasonable and I'm tempted to have it as a
second 'walkabout' body to eliminate the need for lens changing.

Good idea or bad idea? I've had it put aside and will go to check it out on Monday. The
'scuffs and scratches' make me concerned that the previous owner was a careless person,
which doesn't bode too well, but it comes with a 3 month warranty which gives a bit of
comfort
We have similar kits. I also have the XF27, X-T30, and X-S10, but no X-T20 and no 23. I currently have the 16-80 and the 35 1.4. I assume you really like the X-T20 since it’s your daily carry. If you get a backup for a good enough price it would provide a quick different lens or as a failure backup. I’m also a sucker the X-Tx0 series.

Last edited:
A friend of mine from church, who I hadn't seen in a while, let me know today that he had a spare Ricoh GR III battery as well as a box of various bits and pieces that had nowhere to go, if I wanted to come and get them. He and his family are clearing house for an extended time living abroad, and were finished with the yard sale stage and on to the Goodwill stage. When I arrived, I collected the battery and the box, in addition to which were numerous packs of photo paper, some nice matte Epson 8.5"X11". I looked deeper in the box, which mostly consisted of lots of lens caps, filters, a couple of Canon straps and the odds and ends which accumulate in a photographer's cabinets... but there was also a surprise: a Pentax MX! The pentaprism housing is dented, and it's a little dirty, but I popped a couple of SR44 batteries in and the meter is in good shape. I had been eyeing MX's and wondering whether that might be a medium-term single film camera to use in addition to digital for a while. Now I have the chance to find out.

Still more, when my friend heard I was using the K1, he went back inside and came out with a couple of DA (APS-C) lenses as well. The 55-300mm f4-5.8 SMC, and the quirky 40mm f2.8 XS. The K1, of course, can use these either FF or crop mode. I'm grateful and humbled by his generosity. He sold a lot of gear, including his GR III and Canon stuff, to purchase a Sony A7 IV and a couple of lenses, which will accompany him overseas.
In 1982, I picked up a Pentax MV1 body with the M28 2.8 for $100. Pentax always had a thing for these pancake 40’s. I think of it when it use the GRiiix with the same focal length and aperture.

We have similar kits. I also have the XF27, X-T30, and X-S10, but no X-T20 and no 23. I currently have the 16-80 and the 35 1.4. I assume you really like the X-T20 since it’s your daily carry. If you get a backup for a good enough price it would provide a quick different lens or as a failure backup. I’m also a sucker the X-Tx0 series.
I only recently acquired the 35 f1.4 since it's reputedly "got character" and is the "fairy dust" lens ;)

Also I'm pleased to report that the scuffs and scratches that drove down the price rating for the XT20 were just from metal rings that had been used for the neck strap, so only cosmetic

Do get back to us on the sunstars. I was aware of that lens but was always satisfied with the Nikkor G 20mm F1.8 AF-S or any Voigtlander lens for the stars.
I'm not really sure if I care about the sunstars, this was just perhaps the easiest and cheapest way to get wider than 16mm on Sony FE. Most other options would have required more exotic filter arrangements, this one has a bog-standard 72mm thread. And I already had ND's and a C-POL of that size readily gathering dust in the closet!

But who knows, maybe I'll learn to appreciate the feature. All the reviews I've seen show quite sharply defined sunstars. It's just that I rarely shoot in to the sun.

I'm not really sure if I care about the sunstars, this was just perhaps the easiest and cheapest way to get wider than 16mm on Sony FE. Most other options would have required more exotic filter arrangements, this one has a bog-standard 72mm thread. And I already had ND's and a C-POL of that size readily gathering dust in the closet!

But who knows, maybe I'll learn to appreciate the feature. All the reviews I've seen show quite sharply defined sunstars. It's just that I rarely shoot in to the sun.
Ah right, I only asked as it seems to be a lens specific to that - no prob.

Ah right, I only asked as it seems to be a lens specific to that - no prob.
Well, that's the advertised party trick it has. But it should also be quite sharp for the money, with relatively mild if a little complex distortions. I can't say anything yet, since I've yet to try it out and go through the files in post.

But maybe I'll open up a showcase thread for the lens once I've given it a good shakedown. Unless there is one already.

I’ve had my eye on a Nikkor 180mm F2.8 for a while. Not desperate, just hanging around to see if one becomes cheaply available. But then a Leitz Elmarit R came available, same focal length, same aperture. The price was right so it’s on my way to me now. Should be fun. Should probably sell my Takumar 200mm f4 now.
Leitz also made a very special 180mm f3.4. If you find one, it's color transmission is much higher than their 180mm f2.8. A friend had the f2.8 version and the Leica rep loaned him the very expensive f3.4 model. He shot the same vehicle, a Ford pickup with 'Lazer stripes' on subsequent K64 frames. The difference between the 2 lenses was unreal, from 'OK' to 'really saturated'.

Last edited:
Leitz also made a very special 180mm f3.4. If you find one, it's color transmission is much higher than their 180mm f2.8. A friend had the f2.8 version and the Leica rep loaned him the very expensive f3.4 model. He shot the same vehicle, a Ford pickup with 'Lazer stripes' on subsequent K64 frames. The difference between the 2 lenses was unreal, from 'OK' to 'really saturated'.
Thanks for that Graham, good to know. I checked and yes indeed, the F2.8 seems to be 25% of the cost of the F3.4. The new (to me) lens is due to arrive tomorrow so I’ll see how it goes. I note it’s a Mandler lens (like the F3.4 btw), not relevant to 99% of people but it is to me so if it renders anything like my other ones, I reckon I’ll like it.

Stopped by the closet at work again, and now have a bag of goodies under my desk I’ll be taking home with me. I’ve very little experience with the Sony 7 series lineup, so this A7Riii and G lens will hopefully get me more familiar.
View attachment 324662
Nice closet you've got there... Wouldn't mind such a thing myself.

I've been quite happy with the a7R III performing landscape shooting duties. It's quite amazing how much torture the raw-files from that sensor can take. I keep a nice fat L-bracket on the body to improve handling besides just providing the normal duty of providing a tripod quick release. The body alone is slightly too small for my hands, but the bracket makes it almost perfect.

Back