GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Probably one of my least expensive photo-related purchases: another Neewer lightweight Arca Swiss clamp that I can leave on my Manfrotto Mini Magic Arm.
neewer.jpg

Received my PL25 today (three days from Maine. Yea USPS again) and it's a beauty, ultra mint from fine gentlemen at FredMiranda sell forum.

Love my new to me PL25 1.4 but HATE the garnormse lens shade supplied with lens. It just doesn't make sense for mu43 ethos.

Found much more suitable lens shade that matches lens barrel diameter, shorter but shades lens without vignetting. It's also cheap enough to boot.

When I recently sold my X-Pro3, I included the XF35mm f/1.4 lens in the sale, with some misgivings: it was such a great lens, and it had helped me renew my appreciation for the focal length. After getting my much smaller (and, so far, eminently cool) X-T3, I realized I had a Fuji-mount lens in my bag which I really wasn't using, in spite of its surprising quality, a manual focus 50mm TTArtisan lens. As fate would have it, a photographer on FM forums was looking for a 50mm TTArtisan, and willing to trade its smaller manual focus sibling: a TTArtisan 35mm f/1.4. I said yes and... it arrived today.

EP5_Sept16_22_TTArtisan_35mm_lens#1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The lens itself is rather compact, and appears to be very well built, including a click-stopped aperture ring which works nicely. It's not a pancake, but mounted on the XT3 body, it makes for a rather small package.

EP5_Sept16_22_TTArtisan_35mm_lens#2.jpg

The real question of course is: can a manual focus lens which costs less than a fifth of its justifiably highly regarded Fuji-made competition... deliver anything close to what the XF35 did? Autofocus aside, I imagine only time will tell. But the focusing barrel is smooth, nicely damped and responsive - and the initial images look decent. Including this quick shot of my French camping knife (that I used for opening the package the lens was shipped in)--

XT3_Sept16_22_couteau_Opinel(K64).jpg

And this shot of one of my favorite beer cans--

XT3_Sept16_22_IPA_diver(K64).jpg

Even better is this shot of an old tractor which belongs to a neighboring farmer---

XT3_Sept16_22_Tractor(K64)#1.jpg

It (the lens) has got some big shoes to fill. Hopefully... it will grow into them.

Sold off both the extra GX1 and the Oly 14-42, and plowed parts of the funds into a G2 bundle, €65 all in.:
G2.jpgG2back.jpgG2 med sundries.jpg
Sellers photos.

This leaves the "G" series collection pt lacking the G1, 5, 10 and 80 models. Pondering a straight up 10 body for €50 in the local classifieds and lost out on a G5 with 14-42PZ for €150ish yesterday.

No G1s available and the G80 is a "current" one and not in the price range of picking one up just to stick it on a shelf for sporadic use.

What I am looking forward to in this bundle is actually seeing the bag properly... 😂 (Not joking)

So I’ve spent the last week shooting the big 3 brands all day in sports/action and portrait shoots. It may surprise folks that even though I have way too many cameras, I hadn’t yet decided on a mirrorless ILC full frame system. Yes, I have cameras on loan from all 3 brands, but I personally don’t own one. After this week however, I’ve picked my pony. And thanks to setting up some awesome deals with these vendors, I couldn’t pass up on it (55% off).

So it looks like I’m a Canon shooter. I just purchased an R5 with the 24-105L lens, and will probably pick up the 100mm macro while the special pricing lasts.

Side note, it looks like Nikon will be loaning me a Z9 and a 24-70 2.8 next week. Fun times ahead!

Last edited:
And I picked up a 14-35mm f/4 L lens for the new R5 while the special pricing was still in effect. Seems like a fantastic focal length range, and it takes filters. Pretty small all things considered too. Looking forward to the camera arriving tomorrow. Too bad the 100-500 isn’t a part of the deals, as that lens is super high on the radar as my new wildlife lens. Sharp as a tack, super compact all things considered, and behind a 45MP sensor can stand up to a nice big crop if needed. Hopefully next year for that.

Tamron 90mm Macro - my eyesight seems to be getting worse with age and while I have Manual focus 55mm, 105 and 200 Micro-Nikkors, I only have a 60mm AF Micro-Nikkor. Got this for a little bit extra AF reach. Build quality is OK, definitely not up to Nikon standards but it does the job. AF speed is a bit glacial but it is a Macro so I'll let it slide. Keen for the weather to improve so I can get some flower/bee shots.

52373626690_ebb51ea7da_o.jpg
_ND70732 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

My second new old acquisition: Yashica FX-D Quartz. I fondled this at a recent photography show, but with amazing willpower decided to only acquire the small Rollei I posted about earlier. Caved in the next day and ordered it from the seller's website...

It came with a slightly odd push-pull zoom (42-75mm), so naturally I was forced to also buy a 50mm prime lens. ;) The candy came with the lens.

2022-09-16_2031_IMG_1447.jpg

It's a very nice feeling little camera, but it just made me remember why I prefer my film cameras fully mechanical. Once the batteries run out of juice the whole camera is dead – and today its batteries ran out of juice! Not from shooting so much, I think, but because the switch in the front had spontaneously turned into AE lock position... As the manual warns: "TO PREVENT UNNECESSARY BATTERY DRAIN, always reset the lever to the "0" mark when AE lock function is no longer needed". I may need to tape that thing to the "0" position...

I had an I'm a 51 year old so screw it moment. Or as the cool kids said, I did a thing. What started out as a gar conversation with my dad yesterday. Turned into a gear sale and pre order today. I sold my 16mm and 35mm 1.4 to a guy on FM. And pre ordered this to go with the 18 1.4 and 90 f2.

View attachment 273541

My dad bought my Fuji 18mm 1.4 and 33 1.4. And I am going back to one of my all time top favorite Fuji lenses, the 16-55. Or 39 primes in one.
So, as much as I have always liked the 16-55. Shooting a zoom just didn't work out for me. So, being the advanced level ho bag that I am. I flipped the 16-55 and re acquired my 33mm from my dad. I think I've been battling the mid life crisis version of a photography slump.

I’m on a bit of a tear, but I can’t pass on some of the deals I set up. I’m my own worst enemy. Anyways, I grabbed one more Canon lens, and now have the 100mm RF 2.8 macro (not to mention the 14-35 I bought), and also bought the new DJI Avata proview combo. Man, this thing is so fun it should be illegal. Already getting some cool videos, but I’m sure I’ll flip the camera on and start adding some aerial pics to my arsenal.

I added another two photobooks of Taipei/Taiwan to my collection. Daido Moriyama's Record 28, shot in 2014 on a road trip from the south to the north of the island, and Yasuko Noguchi's Taiwan 2017-2020. I had been considering the latter for a while and decided to buy it while I was getting the Moriyama. As it turned out it was the last copy in the shop, and possibly anywhere, so I'm glad I picked it up.

Moriyama - Cover.jpg

Noguchi - Cover.jpg

My birthday is Friday, so to celebrate, I sold something and bought something...

I now have a Zeiss Super Ikonta 531 6x4.5 folder on the way...

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Don't know why none of the Japanese ads show the swing arm up but the seller claims everything works, shutter is accurate and, most importantly, takes returns.

Going to order some Kodak Gold in 120 format for it too :D Will also need the appropriate series yellow filter and hood but they're out there.

Hopefully I'll have it in time for there to still be fall color this year.

Last edited:
Back