• Cameraderie, a friendly photography forum for photographers and camera enthusiasts!
    If you are looking for critique, tips, advice, buying recommendations, or just want to talk to fellow enthusiasts then join now for free!

GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Ever since finding out that the M10 would fit into a jacket pocket with a small (35mm) lens mounted, I had been thinking about how nice it would be to have a "cheap" digital Leica to carry around. Actually doing that with the M10 is - for the time being at least - completely out of the question for me. So, after considering lots of options (but thankfully, resisting the idea of using yet another system), the answer presented itself:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The M8 is in more or less pristine condition and works fine; of course, not even this body does have the 21mm frame lines you'd need for the Voigtländer Color-Skopar pancake, but what you see through the viewfinder as a whole is actually very close to what you get (the 21mm is a 28mm equivalent on the M8). The 21mm f/4 is one of the smallest lenses I own for M mount, it's quite sharp and well corrected (when used on a Leica - it's capricious and somewhat flawed on a Sony A7 series body), and already at f/4, you can pretty much rely on zone focus (1.8m/6ft to infinity is in focus anyway).

IQ is fairly impressive from the combo, so I'm really happy.

Besides, I got the M8 with a Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2 mounted for about half the money a used M9 (body only!) goes for around here. The lens being worth about half of what I paid, the M8 came in at a quarter of the price of an M9 at this point in time, and the M9 is the cheapest FF Leica body around. All in all, I think that's one heck of a deal for a fully working camera. The Ultron is a very good lens in its own right, so that's another bonus; furthermore, its FoV on the M8 is comparable to a 35mm on the M10, so I have my favourite 35mm-e covered as well (though it's a tad too big to be pocketable), all while getting a solid fast 28mm in the mix. Consider me covered.

Oh, and I have a IR/UV filter coming for the 28mm - the IR "pollution" issue is a thing. But usually, it's not a problem, and if it ever should be, I'll find ways to play with it.

M.

rayvonn

All-Pro
Jan 19, 2015
Ever since finding out that the M10 would fit into a jacket pocket with a small (35mm) lens mounted, I had been thinking about how nice it would be to have a "cheap" digital Leica to carry around. Actually doing that with the M10 is - for the time being at least - completely out of the question for me. So, after considering lots of options (but thankfully, resisting the idea of using yet another system), the answer presented itself:

View attachment 193515

The M8 is in more or less pristine condition and works fine; of course, not even this body does have the 21mm frame lines you'd need for the Voigtländer Color-Skopar pancake, but what you see through the viewfinder as a whole is actually very close to what you get (the 21mm is a 28mm equivalent on the M8). The 21mm f/4 is one of the smallest lenses I own for M mount, it's quite sharp and well corrected (when used on a Leica - it's capricious and somewhat flawed on a Sony A7 series body), and already at f/4, you can pretty much rely on zone focus (1.8m/6ft to infinity is in focus anyway).

IQ is fairly impressive from the combo, so I'm really happy.

Besides, I got the M8 with a Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2 mounted for about half the money a used M9 (body only!) goes for around here. The lens being worth about half of what I paid, the M8 came in at a quarter of the price of an M9 at this point in time, and the M9 is the cheapest FF Leica body around. All in all, I think that's one heck of a deal for a fully working camera. The Ultron is a very good lens in its own right, so that's another bonus; furthermore, its FoV on the M8 is comparable to a 35mm on the M10, so I have my favourite 35mm-e covered as well (though it's a tad too big to be pocketable), all while getting a solid fast 28mm in the mix. Consider me covered.

Oh, and I have a IR/UV filter coming for the 28mm - the IR "pollution" issue is a thing. But usually, it's not a problem, and if it ever should be, I'll find ways to play with it.

M.
You did well to get the good price Matt. I tried myself before settling on an M-E, but found that they were sold immediately they became available. There are people out there waiting to pounce on those M8 cameras!

AndyMcD

Veteran
Jul 15, 2017
East Midlands, UK
Just picked up a Thule Covert rolltop backpack. I wanted something for everyday (so laptop plus camera and a couple of lenses) that also has room for personal stuff. The Thule ticked all the boxes and is a good price.

The camera part is a removable case (similar to the Tenba BYOB cases) and will hold a good amount of kit. Currently I have X-T3, 16/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2 and Godox 350 in there but I also still have a space that would hold (say) a 90/2 if one came along (;)). The added bonus is that the case fits really well into a cheap canvas shoulder bag I picked up off Amazon a few months ago, so I have the best of all worlds.

Burkey

All-Pro
Apr 18, 2011
Northern New England
David, I hate to think of the price of a new one. Your copy looks pretty spiffy!
Hi Mike - Well, keeping in mind that the Summarit series are the "entry-level" Leica m-mount lenses, :rolleyes-74:, I did pretty well with the price. The new versions run around $1,995.
A great lens. Super sharp. It writes very nice images. I bought it to use primarily on my CL but I also want to give it a try on my X-E2s too.
. . . David

Last edited:

marlof

Trying to focus
Dec 25, 2010
The Netherlands
You know, like all of us I’m sometimes contemplating to use another system (the Z6 with 24-70 is currently calling my name). But I am extremely lazy in selling old gear, so the investment holds me back. Every time someone in here switches systems, I think I should really give in too. But then they come back, and I think that other systems must have other flaws and I consider myself good. Until the itch comes again....

Right now I bought superglue (to reattach the bottom ring of the 40-150 pro hood, which came lose and will cause the hood to explode in little parts) and a cheap L-plate for the EM1. Still not sure if I’ll stay in m43 or go Nikon in the long run, so held off buying a new camera body.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

How did my backpack get so heavy? I thought mirrorless was lightweight!
Really enjoying my Samyang fisheye - it's the third FE lens I've owned, a Peleng on 4/3 and a previous Samyang on my first flirtation with m4/3. So I knew what I was getting. 👍
Ok, I'm all Creative Clouded out right now.... what a waste of time.
So Fuji's traditional spring announcement includes... only the XT30? Helps my GAS to be sure!
This week's weather has been snow, hail, rain, sun, sleet... what next, frogs? 🐸
Top Bottom