GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

I tried that camera, unique experience is definitely the right words for it. The IQ is actually quite strong, but I had a hard time with a) the JPEG quality, and b) the starting point of RAW files in Lightroom. Colors were hideous. Not that that's unique to this camera, there are a few where Lightroom acts like it has no idea how to render the DNGs.
Yeah, the jpegs are absolutely abysmal, there's honestly no point even bothering with them

Good pick, though I'm really curious how you'll find handling on the Z fc. Optically and in terms of utility, you'll have fun for sure.

I was really taken off guard when I saw what the Z 18-140mm DX can deliver, and the 50-250mm is said to be even better (though, as the 16-50mm, it completely lacks sealing - the 18-140mm has quite a bit of that). I do all my long tele work across F and Z mount with the F mount 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E AF-P FX - if I didn't own that lens, the 50-250mm would have been a no-brainer long ago. But I use the range rarely, so I'll stick with the more "universal" lens. Besides, I prefer using it on the D750 - however, the Z 50 comes in a close second as a body, and I love the combo (the FTZ adapter even adds a tripod mount of sorts).

M.

I value your thoughts, @MoonMind - thank you for your input

Due to a thunderstorm (DONNERWETTER!) during the night, I got very little sleep but was awakened early by the courier delivering the lens this morning!
I'm very pleased with its weight (lack of, I mean). I've taken several 'test' shots off the balcony but I find the white balance challenging on this camera -
probably more to do with the Z fc itself rather than any lenses. Everything seems to have a coldish blue cast (and I did read that in a review as well, so I
know I'm not imagining it). I'll have to fiddle with the settings.

I know this is a DX lens, so if I were to upgrade to any of the better Z series bodies, it wouldn't be of much use. That said, I have considered getting an
adaptor for my considerable collection of F-mount lenses, but then again I still have dSLR bodies, so I'd rather just as well use those.

During this week I shot the start (on Monday) and finish (yesterday) of the Cape 1000 car rally. Day 1 was quite heavy rain so I shot the Nikon D810 with
the 24-120. The body is built like a tank and the versatility of the lens was great and the combo delivered very acceptable images even though drenched.

For the finish yesterday I over-packed Fuji gear with a 16mm and a zoom, but apart from 4 photos on the 16mm, I shot the Nikon Z fc with the cheapo
kit 16-50 all the way; over 400 photos, already delivered my required quota of 60 selections to the race organisers by 11pm last night, done and dusted.
VERY happy with the performance of the little Nikon. Having started my photography journey with Nikon film cameras in the 80's, I've been pretty much
brand loyal except for getting into the Fuji system in 2017 due to overseas travel requiring weight limits.

Aaaaaah.... GAS. The struggle is real.

They probably buy them from Godox (or Godox buys them from Manfrotto) and relabel them. Lots of industries do this, especially when it's not cost effective to design and build a similar competing product for a relatively small market. The originator makes more product at some profit without the associated marketing costs and the relabelled product makes the reseller some easy money without development and manufacturing costs/risks.
It was a tongue in cheek remark :)

Anyway, I got a lovely email from the supplier this morning - I won't name them:

"Richard, Thank-you for your order. Just wanted to confirm you were aware of the supply issues on this item? The good news is that we have cleared all outstanding customers so you will receive the next one we receive. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Regards, "

Why would I be aware of a supply issue when no such thing is advertised, the item is "in stock" and the cart allows a normal purchase? Why is it good news that everyone else got one besides me?

The guy who wrote this is the owner!

Staggering really.

After my Canon QX10 mini-printer ate a color cartridge for the third time, it went on the trash, and was replaced by an INSTAX Square Link printer. So far, this seems the vastly better choice, both in terms of build quality and app reliability.

Print quality is somewhat anemic in both cases, but the instax at least looks vibrant.

Think Tank Retrospective 5 version 2. Needed something to handle my XT3 with 16-80 and 70-300 (either mounted) and one of the F2 primes. Bonus that it can also hold a water bottle externally. Going to give it a true test on upcoming trip to NZ.
Edit: Another combination I'll likely be using is the XT3/70-300 and XT30-II/27 mk2, and maybe the 16/2.8.

Today I say: "I will need no more lenses after the Sony 50mm f/1.2 GM."
During my Canon years, I had the EF35mm f/1.4 and the EF 50mm f/1.2. The latter has fairy dust inside, manifesting once you open it up all the way to f/ 1.2.
This Sony lens has the same magic. My only problem is that I am so used to the 35mm that I am too near to frame the subject.
I have all the glass I will ever need and then some. That's what I say today, but we'll see. The A7C would be a nice thing to have...it seems my pictures are mostly taken with the A6400, and in low light, I get grain.
If I find two more excuses, I'll order one. THEN I will not need more of anything. God willing.
Oh, yeah. Like I didn't buy anything since my E-M1 MkII + 12-100 in late 2016 ...

Except for the E-PM2, 8-25 Pro, VF-4, an f/1.8 25, a 75-300 MkII, some after-market car chargers and batteries, a new, pretty powerful tablet, a new very powerful PC ...

Of course, this doesn't include the Epson XP-970 A3 MF printer, the Brother 2713 network laser MF printer.

Haven't bought anything extra, Your Honour ... ;) :rofl: .

The last component of my daily driver showed up today, a Gigabyte RX 5600 XT. It accelerates the AI in On1 pretty nicely…yeah…not for games at all….

Been a bit of a spending spree, but the work bonus hit and that’s when I get a bit more leeway with the non-essentials. I dare not say I’m all done, but I might have to let my wallet rest for a while. He’s pretty sore from all that folding and unfolding 😂

During my Canon years, I had the EF35mm f/1.4 and the EF 50mm f/1.2. The latter has fairy dust inside, manifesting once you open it up all the way to f/ 1.2.
This Sony lens has the same magic. My only problem is that I am so used to the 35mm that I am too near to frame the subject.
Do you have - or have looked at - the Sony 35mm f/1.4 GM? Some would say it also has fairy dust. I picked one up a few months ago, but my picture-taking has been somewhat limited by record snowfall right up to the present. I do find it quite good thus far.

I have all the glass I will ever need and then some. That's what I say today, but we'll see. The A7C would be a nice thing to have...it seems my pictures are mostly taken with the A6400, and in low light, I get grain.
If I find two more excuses, I'll order one. THEN I will not need more of anything. God willing.
Get the A7C and then you'll need a 40/2.5 G or a Sigma 45/2.8 for it. There's no getting around that. Also, you'll probably want the kit zoom also, since it fits the body so nicely. Plus it's optically better than it has any right to be, but ridiculously priced if bought separately.

haul2303_02.jpg

Finally got round to picking up the camera and lens I bought through a friend;
Kodak Suprema,
Leitz 50mm f/2 Summicron (LTM)
My friend gave me an older copy of the Thiele's Zeiss lens compendium

I've also bought this today, from the same seller as the lens and camera above:
BolseyB2Military_02.jpg

Bolsey B2 - US Army Signal Corps PH-324A.

These were part of the 1950s version of the US Army PH-261 Photographic Set for reproduction work.

I have a used OMD-EM1x on the way from Used Photo Pro. It's listed as excellent condition with only 4007 clicks on the shutter. I'm hoping it has the latest v2.0 firmware so I don't have to update. We'll keep you posted on how well it suits my needs. I just didn't want to spring for an OM-1 for the bird AI. Wife really likes to do BIF, so this will most likely end up in her hands, at least around the yard.
The rest of the story... I got the em1x on Friday last, but only after the UPS driver failed to stop at my house. But he did leave me an email saying there was no one home. I called the UPS national headquarters after searching half an hour for a phone number. My displeasure filtered down the chain-of-command to a local distribution point. They called the driver and directed him to return to my house and deliver-Pronto!! He did, but no apology.
The camera looks good and I spent most of the weekend trying to build the setup I need by using u-tube videos and the Oly PDF Guide. It surely is a large beast, but performs very well and Wife likes the feel, as do I. So I believe we have TWO winners in this purchase. I weighed the camera and lens she'll most likely use (Oly 40-150 PRO plus 1.4 TC) to find it is almost the same weight and reach as her present Canon and lens. Interesting item here, when I looked at the copyrite setup, it still contained the name of the former owner; a pro photographer in Alexandria, VA, and according to the EXIF data, this em1x was used in many of his BIF images that were posted on his website. I will contact him to see if the info provided with the purchase is correct. Overall, I think it will be a good addition to the stable of gear that we share.

Last edited:
The rest of the story... I got the em1x on Friday last, but only after the UPS driver failed to stop at my house. But he did leave me an email saying there was no one home. I called the UPS national headquarters after searching half an hour for a phone number. My displeasure filtered down the chain-of-command to a local distribution point. They called the driver and directed him to return to my house and deliver-Pronto!! He did, but no apology.
The camera looks good and I spent most of the weekend trying to build the setup I need by using u-tube videos and the Oly PDF Guide. It surely is a large beast, but performs very well and Wife likes the feel, as do I. So I believe we have TWO winners in this purchase. I weighed the camera and lens she'll most likely use (Oly 40-150 PRO plus 1.4 TC) to find it is almost the same weight as her present Canon and lens. Interesting item here, when I looked at the copyrite setup, it still contained the name of the former owner; a pro photographer in Alexandria, VA, and according to the EXIF data, this em1x was used in many of his BIF images that were posted on his website. I will contact him to see if the info provided with the purchase is correct. Overall, I think it will be a good addition to the stable of gear that we share.
Yeah, the old “you weren’t home” trick. I’ve had that one happen before. Basically, he either missed you on his route or he ran out of time, and pencil-whipped the delivery until the next day.

Yeah, the old “you weren’t home” trick. I’ve had that one happen before. Basically, he either missed you on his route or he ran out of time, and pencil-whipped the delivery until the next day.
Yeah, but didn't work this time as he was caught and his boss promised he'll get an a$$ chewing. come to find out, on the same trip, he also delivered a package for my wife to the neighbor's house and had to walk back there to retrieve it.

View attachment 375094
Finally got round to picking up the camera and lens I bought through a friend;
Kodak Suprema,
Leitz 50mm f/2 Summicron (LTM)
My friend gave me an older copy of the Thiele's Zeiss lens compendium

I've also bought this today, from the same seller as the lens and camera above:
View attachment 375095
Bolsey B2 - US Army Signal Corps PH-324A.

These were part of the 1950s version of the US Army PH-261 Photographic Set for reproduction work.
Kodak Suprema? Now that's interesting. I've never heard of it! Was it similar to the Retina? When I was in photo retail, circa 1958 to early 1980s, I lusted after a Retina 11C. I never had one though!

Back