GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Not sure if it was the "best" deal...but for $100USD, I got this from the local camera store today. The widest M mount lens they had was a Voigtlander 21mm f/4, but I did not like the condition of it to spend the money they were asking.

Turned my gaze toward the 135mm f/4.5 Hektor lenses...so picked that up and a 135mm coded M39 to M adapter so the frame lines are proper.

hektor1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

hektor3.jpg

hektor4.jpg

hektor5.jpg

Sample image taken in the store to test the lens and adapter:
03-31-2023_gov_M240_L1001600-Edit.jpg

I will be interested to see how that compares to the 100-400 for you. I traded in my 100-400 because it was too much lens for my needs and I have wondered if I would get on better with the 70-309.
Had the 100-400 but found it just too much (size & weight) for the extra focal length for my liking. This is my 2nd 70-300 and I'm perfectly happy with it's overall performance. IQ is right up there compared to the 100-400 "beast". ;)

Ever since the years of my misspent youth, when I shot exclusively with Pentaxes (first Spotmatics, later MX's), I've really liked Pentaxes. Both the cameras and the available glass. Though my analog days are behind me, my fondness for Pentaxes has not abated. Apart from a wonderfully tiny mirrorless Q, I've shot with two fantastic CCD-sensored K200d's, a fine KP, a K-5iis and a cool modern mirrorless K-01; and finally my least used but most interesting Pentax, a K-S2. The K-S2 was far and away the most compact among all the Pentax DSLRs I've used, had a wonderful 20 Mp sensor, no AA filter, weather-sealing, and... at times I just scratched my head and wondered why I ever sold it?

There was however one other Pentax I've always been fascinated by - the smallest and most lightweight Pentax DSLR ever produced, the earlier sibling and predecessor to the K-S2... the (relatively) diminutive K-S1. Like the K-S2 (and one or two other Pentaxes), the KS1 also tended (and still tends) to suffer from the dreaded ABF (Aperture Block Failure) syndrome, curable only by a relatively pricey and complex solenoid replacement; so buying either a K-S2 or K-S1 is not for the faint of heart. But I've always wanted to try it out... and I found one offered by its non-photographer owner at a price that was impossible to resist.

Plus... because of its non-traditional color, it looks more like a toy than a serious camera!

XT5_April2_23_KS1_color#1.jpg

This one came with a dented but serviceable older Pentax 50mm manual focus lens, but in the near future I'm hoping to pair it with Pentax's smallest ever AF pancake lens, the tiny DA40 (which happens to be another superb bit of Pentax glass). Though the camera's construction is mostly plastic, it's got that heavy-as-a-tank solidity and weight which makes it feel like a much heavier tool. It also has a surprisingly high quality pentaprism viewfinder, basically the same one as in most of its more expensive and full-featured brethren, and significantly better (and brighter) than the pentamirror OVF in both of my K200d's.

But almost best of all... the damn thing is (relatively) tiny.

It's good to be back in Pentaxland again.

I've been doing a bunch of product photography of late and I wanted to share two products that have made that chore just a bit easier and quicker.

The first is a Leofoto G4 geared tripod head, which provides a much simpler and intuitive (at least for me) way of making subtle changes to camera angle that I find this type of shooting to require.

A7A5A79E-6626-4A29-AA9A-2E920777D475.jpeg

It's not a cheap piece of kit (although I picked this one up used on FM), but it's made this task at least a tiny bit more enjoyable than it would be using a ball head.

The second product is an Atoll "camera rotate gadget" from a company called Silence Corner. This thing makes switching camera orientation super quick and simple.

1F863E59-25E4-42BB-A3EE-BFEAE0567C3C.jpeg

8157CD84-0D64-4D5C-8ACB-B440957CB581.jpeg

The Atoll is the silver ring and foot in the photos above. The one major drawback with this design is that at least with the XF 16-80mm lens I'm using the location of the ring makes changing the aperture all but impossible. For my purposes that's not all bad, since it means the aperture isn't getting accidentally moved off F8.

If anyone has any other product photography tips and tricks they care to share, my DMs are open. 🙂

- K

Attachments

• F1DA82B6-BE6E-4E2E-AA4B-8166C3F5B90E.jpeg
    F1DA82B6-BE6E-4E2E-AA4B-8166C3F5B90E.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Came across this Marketplace listing, I offered £45 and he accepted.

IMG_20230403_065741_(442_x_638_pixel).jpg

Everything looks to be in good working order and the glass is clean.

IMG_20230401_114814_(851_x_638_pixel).jpg

Came with a few extras as well. It is now loaded with HP5 and off to test it.

IMG_20230401_134617_(851_x_638_pixel).jpg

Came across this Marketplace listing, I offered £45 and he accepted.

View attachment 377145

Everything looks to be in good working order and the glass is clean.

View attachment 377146

Came with a few extras as well. It is now loaded with HP5 and off to test it.

View attachment 377147
Nice one. Looks brand new. That takes me back! My first full time job back in the late 70's was working for a retail camera chain (Greens) here in the UK. I well remember selling the ME and the K1000 but I don't recall the Rank logo on anything. Any idea why it's on the warranty registration?

Nice one. Looks brand new. That takes me back! My first full time job back in the late 70's was working for a retail camera chain (Greens) here in the UK. I well remember selling the ME and the K1000 but I don't recall the Rank logo on anything. Any idea why it's on the warranty registration?
I think it says Singapore. I will take a better picture at home.

I believe this qualifies as a small acquisition. I got this for my birthday which is coming soon. I plan on keeping it in a basket with my keys and wallet so that I can grab it on my way to my car whenever I am heading out. I thought about leaving it in a car, but the summer heat may damage it. Pentax q7 with 5-15mm lens. I have a fisheye coming soon.

DSCF4952-X3.jpg

Here is what is says
IMG_20230403_200559_(1134_x_638_pixel).jpg

Looks like the dealer was affiliated to Rank in some way. There never was a connection between Rank and Asahi Pentax. I was in retail in Manchester between 1958 and 1966, so I'm familiar with Rank (ie J.Arthur). Didn't Rank have something to do with Mamiya in the UK? My memory is beginning to fail somewhat now!

Looks like the dealer was affiliated to Rank in some way. There never was a connection between Rank and Asahi Pentax. I was in retail in Manchester between 1958 and 1966, so I'm familiar with Rank (ie J.Arthur). Didn't Rank have something to do with Mamiya in the UK? My memory is beginning to fail somewhat now!
Rank Organisation were Pentax's UK distributor in the late 60s/early 70s. NAAFI is a British company.

Back