GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

After ten moments of consideration, I bought the Nikon Z40mm f/2 because it was on a birthday sale at my local pro photo shop
I've had it for all of one and a half days so far - some of my test photos on an outing to the flea market are over here
You're getting the lens quite well - though how the 60mm-e FoV feels for you, only you can say. I love the lens on FX, but much prefer its Z 28mm f/2.8 sibling on DX. That said, the aperture and rendering both are well worth having, and I've had quite a bit of fun shooting the Z 40mm f/2 on the Z 50. And you definitely make it work for you!

Back when I used the Olympus OM-D E-M10 as my EDC, I really enjoyed the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - the same FoV, very similar results. My go-to lens for the D750 still is the 60mm f/2.8G - partly because of its macro capabilities, but the Z 40mm f/2's MFD is pretty nice, too (though it shows some spherical aberrations at close quarters). Long "normal" lenses have quite a bit of appeal because they facilitate impromptu portraiture alongside walkaround shooting. And if you can get close, that's another nice bonus.

M.

You're getting the lens quite well - though how the 60mm-e FoV feels for you, only you can say. I love the lens on FX, but much prefer its Z 28mm f/2.8 sibling on DX. That said, the aperture and rendering both are well worth having, and I've had quite a bit of fun shooting the Z 40mm f/2 on the Z 50. And you definitely make it work for you!

Back when I used the Olympus OM-D E-M10 as my EDC, I really enjoyed the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - the same FoV, very similar results. My go-to lens for the D750 still is the 60mm f/2.8G - partly because of its macro capabilities, but the Z 40mm f/2's MFD is pretty nice, too (though it shows some spherical aberrations at close quarters). Long "normal" lenses have quite a bit of appeal because they facilitate impromptu portraiture alongside walkaround shooting. And if you can get close, that's another nice bonus.

M.
Thank you Matt, that's very kind of you to say so. I'm just playing around for the time being, but I do consider it a bit of a nowhere, wishy-washy focal distance.
I suppose I'll try some portraiture with it, but I do mainly impromptu environmental people pictures, rather that purposely properly posed ones (aaaah, alliteration abounds)

I have always felt that it's worth making any lens work for you. Obviously specific ones are more suited to specific situations - but that aside, work with what you've got

Well... This particular acquisition probably isn't going to remain with me, based on further inspection once I got out of the store.

View attachment 390363

It's a IIIf in really good shape, but there were no LTM lenses in the camera store (where, incidentally, I was trading in some things of enough value to acquire this), and I was still figuring out how the camera worked. $229 was their asking price. I had about $30 store credit left after walking out with it.

But I took it over to the Shot on Film store, where I knew they'd have lenses, and I was able to evaluate it a bit better. Sure, the body is in great condition. Leatherette is fantastic. Few to no marks. But:
• the rangefinder is so dim I couldn't even see the action in a dark store. It's super faint even in good light.
• the slow shutter speeds don't work. The shutter just stays open as long as you hold the release down. Working it a lot didn't seem to help.

It's a bummer, as everything else about it seems functional and well taken care of. But, like they say, often the unused shelf queens stop working correctly before the beat up used and abused cameras do. Very different from the digital age. Anyway, I'd almost be tempted to keep it as a scale focus body with a rangefinder in strong light... With no shutter speeds slower than 1/40... But that's silly. I'm seeing good condition ones for only $100-150 more, and it's worth looking for a better one. Only problem is, I can probably only get store credit for the return, and while I can think of plenty of things I could spend it on, the Barnack Leica is kinda what I wanted.
Maybe look into a CLA? If it is in otherwise great shape, it might be worth it.

Haul2305.jpg

It's been a while since I've bought any cameras. Picked these at a Pentecost flea market;
Another VPK for the collection (needs a little help)
And a post-war Agfa Karat (including a rapid cassette)

...and another Imco lighter.

Actually found my way into, not one, but two brick and mortars today after a half day meeting in downtown Oslo. much on the shopping list as such, but some finger-oogling on the OM-1 and the Nikon Z50 was done and some money spent on two unbranded lens caps, one 52mm for the closing off the 37mm lens hood I use on the small kit lenses, a 67 mm for the front of a Nikon 18-105, a twinpack of Haehnel HL-EL15 batteries and a Nikon DK-21 to replace the damaged one on the D7000 I was had on.

Was also on the look-out for a Oly LI-10B battery for the Mju400 which came with a battery dead as a doornail, so I just cross my fingers for the camera to be actually working when fed a fresh battery, but had to order that one on-line. Especially since the Old PS trend seems to be happening over here with some force now. There may very well be a thinning of the PS herd coming, if it keeps up.

Part of todays haul was readying the D7000 for a (hopefully) quick turn-around sale, keeping the 35mm DX that came in the bundle and sourcing a 7100/7200. The D7000 is not bad as such with 22700ish actuations, but it was advertised as well worn with a 18-200 and a 35 F:1.8 DX and showed up with a 18-105 instead of the -200.

The 105 held no value as a stand-alone sale, and selling off the -200 was part of the plan, keeping the 16-85 that was the entire reason for buying the €100 D60 bundle that came in the mail yesterday, with 6900ish shutter actuations on the counter. I must say that I really do LIKE the Nikon colour science and sensor in the D7000, the files are rather smashing. I will give the D60 and 35mm a spin, those two seem to be made for each other and are a decent little package. Forgot to pick-up a lens hood for that one today, blast.

The flash that came with the D60 turned out to be a Nikon SB 26 of the late SLR era (mid 90s), it seems to work decently enough on its own, turns on, zooms, menus are working and it gets ready, but it doesn't seem to fire when mounted on either camera. Nor does it fire when pushing the red button, so there is something going on there.

Photos to follow sometime tomorrow.

Actually found my way into, not one, but two brick and mortars today after a half day meeting in downtown Oslo. much on the shopping list as such, but some finger-oogling on the OM-1 and the Nikon Z50 was done and some money spent on two unbranded lens caps, one 52mm for the closing off the 37mm lens hood I use on the small kit lenses, a 67 mm for the front of a Nikon 18-105, a twinpack of Haehnel HL-EL15 batteries and a Nikon DK-21 to replace the damaged one on the D7000 I was had on.

Was also on the look-out for a Oly LI-10B battery for the Mju400 which came with a battery dead as a doornail, so I just cross my fingers for the camera to be actually working when fed a fresh battery, but had to order that one on-line. Especially since the Old PS trend seems to be happening over here with some force now. There may very well be a thinning of the PS herd coming, if it keeps up.

Part of todays haul was readying the D7000 for a (hopefully) quick turn-around sale, keeping the 35mm DX that came in the bundle and sourcing a 7100/7200. The D7000 is not bad as such with 22700ish actuations, but it was advertised as well worn with a 18-200 and a 35 F:1.8 DX and showed up with a 18-105 instead of the -200.

The 105 held no value as a stand-alone sale, and selling off the -200 was part of the plan, keeping the 16-85 that was the entire reason for buying the €100 D60 bundle that came in the mail yesterday, with 6900ish shutter actuations on the counter. I must say that I really do LIKE the Nikon colour science and sensor in the D7000, the files are rather smashing. I will give the D60 and 35mm a spin, those two seem to be made for each other and are a decent little package. Forgot to pick-up a lens hood for that one today, blast.

The flash that came with the D60 turned out to be a Nikon SB 26 of the late SLR era (mid 90s), it seems to work decently enough on its own, turns on, zooms, menus are working and it gets ready, but it doesn't seem to fire when mounted on either camera. Nor does it fire when pushing the red button, so there is something going on there.

Photos to follow sometime tomorrow.
Well there's no way I can match all that fun but my contribution to this thread is a pristine OM Zuiko 50mm F1.8 which I picked up for twenty pounds yesterday. It's extremely difficult to determine conclusively online its age (one would have thought a serial number would have been enough, no?), but it's the multi coated one which states "Zuiko" and "Japan" on the front of the lens. Just this alone indicates that it's the third out of four editions of the lens, so seeing as the lens was manufactured between 1972 to 2002 I'm guessing this it's from say late 80s/ early 90s. Been out shooting today with it on the Z6, haven't downloaded the files yet but having been impressed by the OM Zuiko 50mm F3.5 Macro, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out.

Well, I have in and took the offer. I will learn to love the colour of the bag and I am quite excited about the hope that I can fit in both Tamy f 2.8s and my Sony a7 IV in there. It doesn't have a rainproof cover like the successor version Quick Escape but all my stuff is weather resistant so it should be fine.
1.jpg

Well there's no way I can match all that fun but my contribution to this thread is a pristine OM Zuiko 50mm F1.8 which I picked up for twenty pounds yesterday. It's extremely difficult to determine conclusively online its age (one would have thought a serial number would have been enough, no?), but it's the multi coated one which states "Zuiko" and "Japan" on the front of the lens. Just this alone indicates that it's the third out of four editions of the lens, so seeing as the lens was manufactured between 1972 to 2002 I'm guessing this it's from say late 80s/ early 90s. Been out shooting today with it on the Z6, haven't downloaded the files yet but having been impressed by the OM Zuiko 50mm F3.5 Macro, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out.
Tim, the Zuiko 50 f/1.8 with "made in Japan" on the front ring is the best of series, which had five models, IIRC.

It is a very nice lens, and considerably better than my f/1.4 50, which is the first in that series, the one with lanthanum doping in the rear element, the so-called "radioactive" version.

I still own both.

Tim, the Zuiko 50 f/1.8 with "made in Japan" on the front ring is the best of series, which had five models, IIRC.

It is a very nice lens, and considerably better than my f/1.4 50, which is the first in that series, the one with lanthanum doping in the rear element, the so-called "radioactive" version.

I still own both.
No it's the "Japan" not the "Made in Japan" one so I think that makes it the one before the best one? Well, I say best one, what I'm referring to is the last one which I noticed many people refer to as the best (never used any of these F1.8s so I don't know).

You should be able to determine both the year and the plant of manufacturer, with the numbers under the rubber focus ring. I have however forgotten the website I used to use to check that info, as I haven’t acquired any older OM lenses in sometime.

You should be able to determine both the year and the plant of manufacturer, with the numbers under the rubber focus ring. I have however forgotten the website I used to use to check that info, as I haven’t acquired any older OM lenses in sometime.
Wonderful, thanks Chris and thanks to @p.giannakis who advised me of the same on RFF too. I'm more than capable of messing up that seemingly simple task of taking off and putting back the focus ring, so will look at that next week.

No it's the "Japan" not the "Made in Japan" one so I think that makes it the one before the best one? Well, I say best one, what I'm referring to is the last one which I noticed many people refer to as the best (never used any of these F1.8s so I don't know).
Right. It's not the last one, which had double sided, multi-coated elements.

I have some documents listing all the variations, somewhere on my website.
I'll try to remember to dig them out. In an FTP directory, IIRC.

This one was not planned. I was offered an old film camera and upon inspection, it seemed like a good as new Konica AutoReflex T, I do not really need any more film cameras, but the lens intrigued me...

52942054053_2283edccfd_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It is a Hexanon 57mm 1.4, I read somewhere that it is supposed to be an excellent lens. I do own the fantastic Rokkor 58mm 1.4 and the Helios 44-4 58mm 2.0 - so I only bought it because it looked so nice and based on reputation.

Looks like it was designed for the E-M1

52942054038_2110d46ed8_k.jpg

Last edited:
Can you let us know when it arrives? I'm interested in the timescale between purchase and arrival in the UK as I've never bought gear from China.
The lens arrived yesterday. So 7 days from placing the order to receiving it. I think that's pretty good going. I haven't had time to even open the box yet, there is so much garden work to be done...

Back