GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

nFD 50mm f1.8

No doubt I overpaid for this at $75 but I'll consider it supporting a local business. ;) No haze or fungus I can see. The glass doesn't look terrible, usual dust and maybe a scratch (hard to tell I haven't cleaned it yet). But either way those don't affect picture quality. Apparently these are also easy to take apart? The body is a bit dirty. How do you reckon I should tackle the dust/grime in the crevices of the body (like the focus ring knurling and outside of filter ring)? A toothbrush?

View attachment 445716

And my string of bad luck with vintage lenses continues.......

I went to clean this as I have an adapter coming in today. Well the front glass spins. 😞

IMG_2589.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Picked up a few items at my favourite camera store. The filter adapter and lens cap for my Ricoh GR3x. I also got a good deal on two polarizing filters (39mm, 49mm) for my Fujifilm and Ricoh cameras.

Ordered two inexpensive lenses in as many days:
  • The Yongnuo 35mm f/2 for NIkon Z - should make a nice compact walk-around combo for the Z f and is quite a strong performer according to dxomark.com - in fact, it should more or less be the equal of the bigger and much more expensive Nikon Z 35mm f/1.8 S; though that lens has comprehensive weather-sealing and is a known quantity, i.e. very good optically, Quite a feat if true (it cost less than $300 including shipping - way less than half the price of the Nikon Z lens).
  • The very same Viltrox 20mm f/2.8 for Nikon Z Andrew mentioned above ...
I have high hopes for both because if they're as good as they're said to be, they'll complement my overall setup nicely - and pretty cheaply, too. What's more, both focal lengths are (at least to my mind) useful on DX, too.

M.

Was really looking forward to the 20. Great news.
Just pre-ordered the Viltrox 20mm f/2.8 FX lens for Nikon Z!

• The Yongnuo 35mm f/2 for NIkon Z - should make a nice compact walk-around combo for the Z f and is quite a strong performer according to dxomark.com - in fact, it should more or less be the equal of the bigger and much more expensive Nikon Z 35mm f/1.8 S; though that lens has comprehensive weather-sealing and is a known quantity, i.e. very good optically, Quite a feat if true (it cost less than $300 including shipping - way less than half the price of the Nikon Z lens).
I have high hopes for both because if they're as good as they're said to be, they'll complement my overall setup nicely - and pretty cheaply, too. What's more, both focal lengths are (at least to my mind) useful on DX, too.

M.
I tried the 85 DF DSMii on dxomark's stellar rating and it was excellent and small. Looking forward to your findings and images.

M.
I've just seen it and it's quite funny, top of the list is filled with top Nikon S line lenses and then sandwiched in from nowhere amongst them all is that Yongnuo and it is as you say incredibly cheap (in a financial sense). On just stats alone I can't, based on that, see myself choosing the Nikon Z 35mm over it, so well done picking that one out Matt.

Lately I've been going through a walkabout zoom phase, trying to hit on the happiest compromise of portability and utility. The IQ from my latest compacts (Casio and Canon) just isn't thrilling me. Something prompted me to investigate mu43 pancake zooms, to see how EDC I could make my GX9. I'd never gelled with the tiny Panasonic 12-32mm, but hadn't tried the Olympus 14-42mm EZ. Finding a used one in mint condition, with a JCC auto cap, online at the lower end of current prices, I grabbed it.

01251967-01.jpeg

Attachment with SOOC JPEG at 42mm, which seems pretty useful for small subjects.

Attachments

• 01251964-01.jpeg
    01251964-01.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 4
Was really looking forward to the 20. Great news.

I tried the 85 DF DSMii on dxomark's stellar rating and it was excellent and small. Looking forward to your findings and images.
I used to have the Viltrox 24mm f/1.8 Z mount and really liked it. I got it as a stop gap until the Z 28/2.8 SE was released, otherwise I would have kept it as well.

I really like Viltrox lenses.
The 13 and 75 I tried were excellent. The 56 1.4 very good. This little 20 seems like a perfect match with the 28 and 40. I actually placed an order on their website just now. Not sure if it's in stock or not. Didn't say. $145 shipped. Might be a while though.
@gryphon1911

I've just seen it and it's quite funny, top of the list is filled with top Nikon S line lenses and then sandwiched in from nowhere amongst them all is that Yongnuo and it is as you say incredibly cheap (in a financial sense). On just stats alone I can't, based on that, see myself choosing the Nikon Z 35mm over it, so well done picking that one out Matt.
Well, the Z 35mm f/1.8 S still has a lot going for it - not least a shorter MFD and its impeccable build, so, greater versatilty (in fact, I put it on the Z f for today because of the bad weather that's incoming; I can trust this combo completely even in rain, sleet and snow). However, I love the fact that the Yongnuo is considerably smaller and lighter and appears to be sharper at f/2 (and below f/2.8), thus correcting the only slightly sore spot I see for the Z 35mm f/1.8 S (but only when compared to its fantastic 50mm sibling).

In short, the Yongnuo seems to be an ideal street and minimalist travel lens. For a no-worries lens, it lacks sufficient sealing, though - but I have collected quite a few options for that specific use case.

Fun fact (tangential): I seem to have interchanged the hood of the Z 50mm f/1.8 S and the Z 35mm f/1.8 S at some point in the past, ending up with one awkwardly firmly fitting hood and an annoyingly loose one ... corrected! The reason I discovered this: I actually considered to get a "pristine" one for the 35mm (I thought I had worn it down somehow) and found my fumble when checking the model number. It's all fitting satisfactory again now. Lesson learned - never think you know before you've checked ... And it might save yourself some money, too.

M.

What was it about the 12-32? Zoom range? I really liked it's performance and the 12mm wide end but always wanted it to be longer.
@melanie.ylang
Yes, that was it - not enough zoom. Also, a few years ago I was reluctant to have a number of zooms covering the same range. I've got over that now, and have P14-140, PL12-60, O12-50, and now this one!

Last edited:
1000013072.jpg

1000013073.jpg

Out of curiosity (and with a bit of inspiration) I looked on evilBay for an infrared camera and I found this Panasonic G2 in auction for 46 £ (paid 49.99 £ with shipping) as advertised as 590nm converted but untested. At that price I took a gamble after making sure the seller is offering return just in case and I won with minimum bid.

The camera itself isn't in th best condition but it still has the rubber on the body (which usually goes funky after 14 years) and quite a bit of rust on the hotshot rails. The good news first: I quickly turned it on and voila (first image) it is infrared converted and it works (but I was also sure about it after seeing the purple tint of the sensor glass itself, normally it's blue-ish-green).
The bad news is the back screen doesn't work. I tried the EVF button to switch it on manually but it won't display an image. Now I'm not sure if I should keep it or not, it's still usable with the EVF so it just a bit annoying not being able to frame more comfortably especially on a tripod. The other thing is it did not come with a charger so I will have to get that myself but if I spend that money I might as well keep it.

I can't wait to go out in an hour and try some images with it (before the battery runs dry).

I really like Viltrox lenses.
The 13 and 75 I tried were excellent. The 56 1.4 very good. This little 20 seems like a perfect match with the 28 and 40. I actually placed an order on their website just now. Not sure if it's in stock or not. Didn't say. $145 shipped. Might be a while though.
@gryphon1911

I think it was a few weeks after pre-orders for the e-mount version...and that was the first...they probably already have the tooling setup for the z-mount casing...so hopeful.

A Light Lens Lab 50mm f/2 Speed Panchro II Black Paint with Brassing. I picked this lens up from Pop Flash because it has a rendering that is similar to the Leica 35/1.4 Steel Rim, soft wide open but then sharpens up quickly as you stop down. The build quality is excellent and it includes a brassed hood as well. Strangely, no from lens cap because they have a UV filter instead. Pop Flash had a sale at a great discount that disappeared as soon as I bought it. At first I thought maybe it was used or an open box, but no, it is brand new for less than what I had seen used. I will definitely keep it, a fun lens to shoot with and something different.
R0001841-Enhanced-NR.jpg
R0001844.jpg

Back